Thoughts on TrueFire.com

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by OldPup, May 30, 2018.

1. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

Today I was browsing this here forum for tips and tricks for learning country guitar technique when I came across someone mentioning TrueFire.com. I checked it out and it looks awesome. Content on tone, pedals, amps, guitars, lessons, technique, theory, speed, accuracy, and so on. Does anyone have an All Access pass? If so, can you give me your thoughts on its value?

dotpc likes this.
  2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I use truefire quite a bit. An all access pass, in my opinion isn’t great. It takes me a couple of months to adequately move through a series of lessons, which would make it cheaper to buy the series when they have a sale, which is frequently. How’s that for a run on sentence.

teletail, raysachs and dotpc like this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

They are the best lesson series I've ever come across, and I go all the way back to Hot Licks on VHS ;)

hrstrat57 likes this.
  4. YeOldeTeleDuder

YeOldeTeleDuder Tele-Afflicted

It's pretty good stuff as far as the material goes, and mind boggling how much variety there is in what you can get lessons for. I believe they still have a 1 month all access trial subscription available to try them out.

5. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

I have an All Access pass. It’s great. They just had a deal and since I already had an All Access pass renewal was only $135 for the year.

6. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

I have bought a couple, Rockabilly, Travis Picking, Country Licks and Texas Blues,
    fantastic value.

7. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I agree on all access perhaps not being the best value.

It might depend on ones level and inate musical ability, but personally I think a few carefully selected courses might take a year to work through and be cheaper than all access for the same period. Especially so if you are patient and get them when on sale.

This has certainly been the case for me. I bought four, at a far cheaper rate while on sale, figuring three months apeice. Now, about four months later, I’m about 10% through one, and 3-5% in to a couple of others. One lesson I learnt, I don't have as much free time as I thought.

Then, during a recent sale, I picked up three more at great prices. Now I find myself cherry picking between them. That’s probably fine if done with a plan or to a purpose, but I suspect I’m doing the educational equivalent of noodling now. That’s something else one might be at risk with, with an all access membership.

The flipside, as mentioned above, is that for those more advanced or who have the inate musical ability to pick things up and progress faster, they might fly through.

I suppose you could buy one at the start of a sale period and see how fast you progress with it over a few days, and then extrapolate out from that and figure out if all access or a select few would be better value over a year, and then make a choice before the sale ends.

Oh, as far as the quality and content go, I’m pretty happy with it. I managed to pick content that’s challenging, but not too much, and very useful. I’ve learnt heaps.

Edit: forgot about the one month free trial - do that and decide.

Pax/
    Dean

lfc322 and cnlbb like this.
  8. DSharp

DSharp Tele-Holic

All access fan here. I originally got it during their Black Friday sale and I now renew it then. I do agree that if you're thoroughly working through one course at a time, buying them individually is probably the way to go. I tend to use the shotgun approach at this point and I love being able to look at whatever I want, whenever I want to. However you choose to access them, their courses are really well put together.

9. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

Lots of great advice here. Thanks to all for sharing your perspectives! I'll do the month free and see where it takes me.

10. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

Short update - I started the free trial and it's awesome. I'm blowing through some courses that are largely below my skill level. BUT, and it's a big ol but, there are some fundamentals I somehow avoided learning in my 25 years (almost to the day) of playing guitar. I've blazed through one-and-a-half courses already, which have revealed some gaping holes in my technique bag of tricks such as chicken pickin, cascading licks, travis picking, and steel guitar-esque bending techniques (I don't know jack about playing country music, so that's where I started). I'll probably join and keep a membership as long as I'm able to regularly dedicate time to learning on a regular basis. I imagine I will have to start and stop it as life comes at me.

11. GorgeousTones

GorgeousTones Tele-Meister

There are 2 or three things that make Truefire unique and exceptional that you should consider. These factors should help you make a decision;

*Amongst the vast multitude of online guitar instructional content available. Truefire is the best & only site best suited for late-intermediate to advanced level players. If you're not at that level of ability then you won't be able to fully appreciate what they offer. Sure.. There's less advanced material available but there's plenty of much cheaper options elsewhere for that.

*This is along those same lines.. But, the dozens of high profile, highly regarded instructors have courses that deal with specialized styles. Techniques and approach that's beyond fundamentals (what I like to call "icing on the cake" lessons) specific to study of an individual player. Really cool stuff like Chicken Pickin Lead & Rythm courses offered by Johnny Hiland or super hip New Orleans Funk/Rock/Blues courses from Shane Theriot. Offered in HD quality with their real live rigs recorded in studio quality. Again though this stuff is for the more experienced players.

*Finally, the highly organized and well thought out learning pathways. The many brand new useful software tools, backing tracks, apps, video looping ect.. Combined with the kind of celebrity teachers like Robben Ford teaching jazzy Blues Rythm, or Sonny Landreth demoing slide techniques; All comes at a significantly higher price than the majority of pay lesson sites. So you have to decide if it's worth the extra dough...

-I hope that this is helpful to you!
    Chao, Justin

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    matrix likes this.
  12. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As you get in to it, you’ll find that blazing through stuff isn’t conducive to committing it to memory. I do understand if it’s stuff you already know though.

13. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I agree - lots of great stuff in various styles at varying levels. I also don’t recommend all access unless you’re extremely committed to putting in a lot of time. Last year was my first year playing a lot again after many years of barely playing at all. I probably spent about as much buying courses (mostly on sale) last year as an all access pass would have cost. But I haven’t bought anything in several months - it’ll take me a Looooooong time to work through the stuff I bought. With all access I’d feel obligated to work on their lessons waaaay more than I’d want to and could risk burn out. Once you buy a few or several or a lot, you can work on them at your own pace and not sweat it if you do other stuff at times...

14. aeyeq

aeyeq TDPRI Member

If I could weigh in back in the early seventies I took lessons for a few months from Brad Carlton at Breck’s Music in Largo FL. Turning point for me, got straightened out on keys, pents, modes of major scale, and a better practice regimen.

He still teaches at Bringe Music in St. Pete I had a one off from him a few years back when I was there. He did not remember me at first but a great lesson.

So, Brad demos many of the lessons on Truefire and I will attest that he is a very solid guitar educator.

Not affiliated with Truefire.

15. sardinista

sardinista Tele-Meister

It's pretty easy to get an All Access pass for $99 every year (I just re-upped over the Thanksgiving holiday), and for that price... definitely worth it. There's an enormous amount of material there. I do treat it as supplementary to my weekly lessons with an amazing jazz player, however.

ruger9 likes this.
  16. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

If I had the time to access it frequently (meaning if I was RETIRED lol), that's an amazing deal. I don't, so I purchased several of my favorite players, on DVD, so I have access to them anytime,anywhere (no wifi required), when I have 30 minutes here and there.... $99 a year, for someone with the time, is an amazing deal.

17. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I just came across the Christmas deal. 40% off on the all access year membership. I had heard of TF before, but this time decided to have a closer look to see if it is worth it. My answer is a definite yes. The sheer amount of courses on offer(over 40,000) can be a bit daunting, but navigating is simple. So much variety! I will enjoy this and ultimately benefit hugely IMHO. Well worth the price of admission. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.