Thoughts on this G&L with cracks??

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Davecan, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Davecan

Davecan TDPRI Member

Duffy likes this.
  2. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

If stamped b-stock, it is likely the G&L mfg warranty is not applicable. I had this happen with a different mfg. I sent the guitar back to the factory in Canada at my expense. The company did not stand by the product and informed me it was a b-stock and therefore ineligible for warranty repair. I also had to pay to have it shipped back to me from Canada. Very unpleasant and reflected in future purchases. I didn’t find out that it was a b-stock until it needed a warranty repair. I bought it brand new from an authorized dealer. I was not impressed by the whole thing. Buyer beware. Therefore, in my instance, I would probably walk and get something with a limited lifetime warranty, if there is no mfg warranty. This will also be a factor in resale value and can be calculated into your bargaining hand. It’s definitely nice and has that cool finish that I have seen on some of the nicest Schecters. But there are other fish in the sea.

Davecan likes this.
  3. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Given how good a regular US-made ASAT Classic is, and what a good value they are (particularly on the used market), I'm not sure what the custom shop model has to offer to justify that price.

Davecan likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

People pay a lot of cash for lightly relic guitars including finish cracking.

Davecan likes this.
  5. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

Overall, it's a nice guitar, and the finish cracks wouldn't really bother me.

But, :) . . . the seller sounds like they're trying to make out the cracking to be an attribute, rather than a deficiency.

Polar vortex! ;)

I've never been one to depend on a guitar warranty, but If what Duffy mentioned holds true in this case and there is no warranty - that would certainly have to be taken in to account when making an offer.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Davecan likes this.
  6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

It's nice but not $2750 nice. I would pay half of that for that particular guitar. You have too many other great options for the money that are flawless. Good luck!

Davecan likes this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

If this were a poly finish guitar, it would be heavily discounted. As it's nitro... well, some people probably hope this will happen to their guitars, so....

Davecan likes this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

For $2,700?
    Are you literally crazy?

9. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Dave, only you can determine what you think it is worth.

And while I agree that those look like vintage lacquer cracks, I did work on a G&L Legacy recently and the finish was catalyzed poly. Yours probably is lacquer but it would be a shame to be surprised if you are not set up to refin poly.

Davecan likes this.
  10. Davecan

Davecan TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate them. Since I'm not crazy (except when it comes to women), I think I'm gonna pass. Maybe they should've sent it right back to G&L to be refinished, but I'm guessing it's not covered. I wonder if it was shipped during that super cold snap last winter? Kind of makes me a little uncomfortable, even if it was half that price.

backporchmusic likes this.
  11. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I suppose that it's possible the seller is calling it b-stock to get around the MAP thing. G&L has the same system as Fender when it comes to advertising items below a certain price.

12. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

That's a bit pricey. You would have to be in love with it to pay that price. No doubt a fine instrument, but you would be paying premium for it. IMO

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I might pay that for a Leo era made body and neck, I paid 650 for a 92 legacy that looked worse than this. I think the price is too high, even if it''s a stellar guitar.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  14. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

light cracks? I think this guy was smoking crack. For that kind of money, keep it.

15. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Personally I like the cracks.

But I wouldn't pay $2750 for a CS G&L *anything* - and IMO (based on similar sales at Vintage Guitar Shows) it's priced $1000-1500 over what I've seen used CS G&L's sell for - which is what a "B" stock guitar is considered by vintage dealers.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  16. Davecan

Davecan TDPRI Member

Thanks again for your replies. To finish the story, I picked up something else and I'm very, very happy with it - 6 1/2 pounds of crack free goodness - feels and sounds great.

It was less than half the asking price of the other ASAT. Not nitro, which I prefer, but just a beauty all around.

[​IMG]

preactor and Jupiter like this.
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

good move!

I like the finish on that blue one, but those cracks are not...good cracks...

Davecan likes this.
  18. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

:) got you a G&L.. see if I cant knock off the blue one for a 500 dollar offer strip that nitro and go satin

Davecan likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Good move on your part. What, by the way, was so great about the original one that it costs triple what a normal ASAT Classic would cost? Old fashioned paint?

20. Davecan

Davecan TDPRI Member

You could always order a G&L with a few custom options for about the same price as their standard models, but my understanding is that they now have a "custom custom shop". You can get things like nitro finishes in colors that aren't available on their regular series. You can also request extra light ash, etc. But the list price is north of $3k on these models.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.