Thoughts on this combination of pickups?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BeyondThePines, Mar 26, 2020.

1. BeyondThePines

BeyondThePines NEW MEMBER!

I have a tele thinline style guitar and am planning on replacing the pickups. I was thinking of putting a seymour duncan quarter pounder tele pickup in the bridge, and a seymour duncan jazz 2 humbucker in the neck. I would also consider a '59 in the neck. Does anyone have any opinions on how these two pickups would pair? Output wise, volume wise, tonally, etc?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I personally don’t care for the Quarter Pounder, they are mid-rangey and P90-like.
    If you like P90s, you may love the QP.
    The Jazz and 59 are similar, though the Jazz is a little lower output.
    If you go with the QP, you might like the 59 more.
    Duncan makes all kinds of great sounding Tele bridge pickups.
    I also like Rio Grande Muy Grande Tele bridge pickups.
    They are just slightly hotter/more mid-range-ey than stock vintage-type Tele pickups.
    Good luck!

jrblue likes this.
  3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

I am expecting an unfinished '69 thinline body to arrive at my door any minute now. Currently my favorite pickup is in the neck of one of my Teles and it is a Fralin Steel Pole 43. For this new partcaster I'd like to find something cheaper with similar P90esque qualities as the Fralins. I've been considering SD Quarter Pounders, too. Here are some other options I've been considering;

Seymour Duncan - Hot Tele set, Hot Stack Tele set
    Di Marzio - Hot Area T set, Area T set, Chopper T set
    Lollar - J Street bridge, B.S. Tele bridge, Royal T neck (not cheaper than Fralins)
    Porter - 9T Tele Set (not cheaper than Fralins)
    Cavalier - Huge Lion set

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

That was exactly my experience, though it was the sound I wanted (at the time) so it worked for me. The output held its own with the neck humbucker I had added. Bt it was not a classic Tele sound at all. As for the Jazz, that is one of the few SD pickups I dislike (the JB being the other) that others recommend all the time. I would go with a '59 or Seth Lover or something more true PAF-y in tone, but that's just my own preference.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome, BTW!

6. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Hot Tele set is clearer than the Quarter Pounds, and I love that it is hum cancelling.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.