Thoughts on the monoprice 5 watter

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by matmosphere, Apr 6, 2020.

1. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

Long story short, I’ve been displaced. About three weeks ago we had to leave home and come back to the states in a hurry. Had to leave all my gear, I’ll get it all back when things calm down though.

anyway, after three weeks I’ve finally gotten my hands on a guitar again, but still no amp. I’ve been thinking about that little 5 watt tube monoprice amp, but I’m on the fence.

what do you guys think of it?

does anybody know where you can get the older version with the controls on the top? It looks a little smaller, which is a plus because we’re going to have to move around some until we can go back overseas.

2. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

they have a lot of fans.i would imagine your only option for the older style layout is the used market.

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

I've got one and to me the 8" speaker is the weakest link, not awful, but through a 12" Celestion it sounds great. Easily worth the money.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've got one of the older ones. It's OK. It sounds better with a bigger speaker. It does get quite loud, perhaps too loud for a small house or apartment, depending on your living situation.

5. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Factoring size, sound and price, I think it's about as good as you'll get. If you can find a used tv front for even less, even better.

I know the 15 watter is a little bigger and a little more $$ but the master volume and bigger speaker are well worth the extra cost. It's a much better and more usable amp overall.

6. gregj1964

gregj1964 Tele-Meister

Hi,
    Sorry to hear you got displaced. I hope all is well considering.

I had one and didn't like it at all. Just lacked good sound. I suspect it's the cheap speaker. If you're into modding, could be worth it. I'm not. I like the Bugera 5 better, along with the Epiphone valve Jr. They might be a little more. I might have just got a mono dud.

Are you set on a tube amp? If not, I'd recommend a Peavey Bandit or, my absolute favorite, a fender g-dec 3 thirty. Best practice amp ever.
    Greg

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm just not sure. Not the 5 watter but my Mono 15 just seemed to be unreliable. I wanted a low watt amp in the 12-15 watt range for the Duo I do. Sometimes you flipped it on and it didnt work, sometimes it did. Sometimes the 5w channel worked, sometimes it didnt. It was intermittent and I never figured it out. I finally made it into a Princeton. An unreliable amp to me is useless. Not sure I would buy another. My guess is it's the ribbon cables and or plastic connectors etc.

There's a highly touted cheap 5 watter out there, Joyo? everyone seems to like it. For all I know it's the same amp though!

Or there's the VHT SPecial 6

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I think the Monoprice are very similar to the Laney Cub series. Both the 10 and 15w get good reviews and aren't expensive used or new.

I bought a Cub 15R a while back, used, and liked it so much I picked up a spare when one turned up on ebay for £100. That's not a lot for decent valve tone and enough volume for band rehearsals. The 1w setting is handy for quiet practice too.

9. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

My original version MP 5W still gets a lot of play and love. It is my go to for plugging straight in at home, although it does take pedals well. I did retube with JJ's and replaced the speaker with a WGS G8C.

My stock Bugera is quite nice, as well. But to my ears not quite as sweet as the MP.

DE03850D-D062-42DF-ADEC-DDB2206BFE27_1_201_a.jpeg

10. DrHanz

DrHanz TDPRI Member

Treynor likes this.
  11. Timmay

Timmay TDPRI Member

I like mine . It gets lots of play. I too swapped the speaker with a WGS. Running a JJ 5751 and a new production Tung Sol 5881 instead of a 6v6. Less compressed, and less of those "woofy" low mids when cranked with the 5881.

DrHanz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.