Thoughts on the Fender Custom Shop Jimmy Page Dragon Telecaster - Love it or Hate it

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by derrick_numbers, Jan 17, 2019.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I don't hate it but I would prefer an AV64 white blonde if I could find one in mint condition. I really hate that Fender discontinued that line.
    I hate it even more that I had a great one and sold it in a my zeal to trim my collection. Of all the guitars I've bought and sold over the years, the dumbest things I've done (besides buying too many guitars) are sell the AV64 and a AVRI 62 Custom.

TomK likes this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The guitar might be great in terms of playabilty and tone but it’s ugly. Plus, it’s Page’s schtick and personal to him. Doesn’t mean dung to me.
    I don’t understand the fascination but different strokes...

3. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I think it’s cool and wouldn’t mind having that pickguard! Since the price will be prohibitive I’ll watch you guys play it.

4. Fred-paris

Fred-paris TDPRI Member

I have bought one of the MIM dragon Tele although I am not a fan of Jimmy Page. I just tried one out and was amazed how good it was playing and sounding. I can’t say I see a dragon in that drawing but I can see cool specs such as :
    - the nitro finished neck (with simulated weather checking marks),
    - the vintage radius and frets (with a perfect fret job that allows low action and string bending on whole fretboard),
    - the top loader (with string through option) bridge,
    - a pair of cool sounding pickups (with cotton cloth wire) with CTS pots,
    - a lightweight ash body (3 pieces on mine but perfectly matched with a nice wood grain). The guitar is only weighing in at 3.2kg,
    - a (nice) case with a white strap and red coil jack cable

I’m pretty sure that I will get noticed if I use it onstage (especially if I leave that holographic pickguard on...) but most of my audience won’t be able to tell it’s a signature guitar.

I know most guitar players won’t feel confident showing up with that guitar. Just keep in mind not everyone who comes to your gig is a guitar player nor knows who Jimmy Page is. I think that guitar is a bargain. Make sure you try one and make your own opinion. If you like the guitar but hate its finish, just strip it down and spray your own design (wouldnd’t be the first time...). You’ll end up with a highly playable Tele with vintage specs.

awasson likes this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Cool. I must give one of these a spin at the local shop.

Fred-paris likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.