Thoughts on the Fender Custom Shop Jimmy Page Dragon Telecaster - Love it or Hate it

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by derrick_numbers, Jan 17, 2019.

1. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Not a fan of that guitar. It's referred to as the Dragon guitar, but truthfully I don't see the dragon. I see sections that look dragon-ish, but I'm not gettin it. Maybe it was his Picasso period. Add to that, the third pickup on a Tele, Puh-Leeze !!!

2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does it come with a violin bow?

ScribbleSomething likes this.
  3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Not my taste.

4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I like everyone connected to this guitar, but the guitar itself is ugly. Holds no mojo for me.

5. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

I may be an outlier, but I would kind of like one (one of the cheaper ones) - I'm a huge Zep fan, and the Dragon Tele has always had a very special mystique. I'd prefer something like this over a standard 'artist' model with just a name scrawled behind the headstock of an otherwise stock guitar.

It's a whimsical snapshot of a moment in time - the kind we don't seem to have anymore. I can see it being a 'money grab' and all that, but it is still kinda cool for Jimmy fans.

I'll not go out of my way to buy one, but I can see one entering my collection if I can make some space.

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Me too. It’s in my price range (not the CS version) but I just blew this year’s guitar budget on an Eric Johnson Strat. No regrets at all but I’d like to try the Dragon Tele. Jimmy Page isn’t the reason I picked up guitar but he’s one of the reasons I didn’t put it down.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    ronzhd and tery like this.
  7. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz! I could care about what a tele is called. A well setup instrument with good pickups and a whole lot more talent is what I crave

I don't want a Jimi Hendricks strat ,a Joe Strummer tele a venture Ramone Dead Boys, Elvis,Conway Twitty anything
    what did the man say ?
    " DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!"S

8. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

What made that tele cool is what JP created with it... not how it looked. I suppose if I was playing in a Zep cover band I might be interested; it would be purposeful then.
    The last thing I need is for people to see me wielding jimmy page’s guitar and getting their hopes and expectations up that I can create his sounds... :eek:

OldDude2, FrontPU and awasson like this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i had a similar problem with a bonham-style drum kit. it was an orange acrylic kit, 26 kick 18 and 16 floors with a 14 rack. every gig i did with it people always commented why the band never did any zep covers. i felt i had to overuse those bonham triplets too - it's hard to make an instrument like that your own.

11. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I'm not a fan of this kind of thing--celebrity guitars--and the custom shop version is way too much money and hype for my tastes. It's unlikely to ever be actually played by anybody who buys it, and the whole point of the original is that it was a working musician's tool, not a museum piece.

howardlo and OldDude2 like this.
  12. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I meant the replicas of Page's Number 1 and so forth.

13. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

I have old Ludwig kits with 22, 24, and 26 inch kicks (had to sell my club date 20 for rent) but i re-wrapped the Bonham kit in Red Glitter glass so I never got that request, I guess it's not really recognizable to normal poeple as "a Bonham kit", but it is. It's just so nice to have to be able to move that much air. I've played a vistalite kit w a 26 and man, they were loud. Even for me.

stanger and scottser like this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I like the fact that it exists. Great piece of history and nostalgia. I prefer a simpler, "understated elegance" for my guitars but that's just a taste thing.

OldDude2, FrontPU and awasson like this.
  15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

These signature guitars all have a fundamental flaw.

There are Tele fans and there are JP fans but the cross of the Venn diagram circles is a tiny slice of Tele+JP fans that are non-existent on the used guitar market.

It seems as if Dealers have all the interest in thinking these signature guitars are big sellers. These types of guitars do make a case for something to advertise about and maybe get foot traffic in the store (to buy other gear) but for the guitar itself -- they are often very difficult to sell later.

The only signatures that seem to sell well are Fender and Les Paul.

stanger and OldDude2 like this.
  16. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I can only hope you’re right. I’ll be on the lookout for one of these when they blow them out because I fit neatly in that overlap of Jimmy Page fans and Telecaster fans.

marc2211 likes this.
  17. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I love Led Z's first album. Jimmy page is an awesome player to say the least.

That guitar is kind cool but kinda not. And I won't being trying to buy it.

OldDude2 likes this.
  18. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Is the design painted on, or is it an applique like they did on the Joe Strummer Telecaster?

19. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I'll pass as I usually do on signature models, but a George Harrison Tele I might have to break the piggybank?

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

You're a couple of years late for that ... but it's been done

Anyways ... Does anyone have an actual list of prices and models on this one. I've been wanting a toploader for a while and might be interested in the mirror version (and probably take off the mirrors)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.