Thoughts on setup / advice

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by will91, Oct 18, 2016.

1. will91

will91 TDPRI Member

Hey all, would love to get feedback on my current setup as I get back to worship at a new church.

Guitar: 1993 MIJ Tele - which I adore

FX: JHS Morning Glory > Ib TS9 > Ernie Ball JR VP Volume Pedal > Boss DD7 w/ Tap Expression > Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master > Boss TR2 > Strymon BlueSky (Boss TU3 also out of the Tuner Out of the Ernie Ball)

Amp: Vox Night Train with the Vox 1x12 NT Cab

I mainly play lead and our band plays most of the current worship songs going round as well as writes our own.

Let me know your thoughts!

2. islander

islander Tele-Meister

It is depends on how you are using these pedals. Perhaps a bit of a description of how you set up and use your amp and drive pedals/ volume pedal would be especially helpful.

Ie is the amp sparkling clean? Edge of breakup? A bit dirty and instrument volume knob cleaned up. etc. Do you need a heavier/thicker BSIAB style pedal? And in cutting through the mix for a little lead, what do you do?

3. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

Overall, you have a really nice setup. This is totally personal preference, but have you tried the TS9 into the Morning Glory? I find that if you stack the 2 pedals, especially for lead tones, having the Morning Glory/Blues Breaker type pedal after the mid-focused TS type pedal gives a really nice lead sound. Very amp-like.

Edit:
    The only other suggestion is to not use the EB-VP jr's tuner out. It can really knock the top end off of your signal. In fact, I find just running the boss tuner normally (taking advantage of its buffer) in front of the EB Volume pedal completely negates any "tone suck" passive volume pedals can be notorious for. using the tuner out on the volume pedal actually makes it worse.

Never mind about the volume pedal...I realized after I posted that you are running it after your drive boxes, so the above statement may not apply as the TS9 has a buffer already in front of your volume pedal.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  4. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

I'd run the dirt boxes in front and everything else in the FX loop.

I find the Snark tuners much more convenient than a plug-in tuner.

-tINY

5. will91

will91 TDPRI Member

Hey mate, thanks for the reply. And yeah I generally aim to work lead lines on top of everything else. The church is pretty small so we never aim to get too loud so I generally take the original lead lines and strip them back where necessary or just build similar ones out of the chords.

In terms of the volume pedal this is mainly used for swells to fill out the sound or provide a little bit of 'atmosphere'.

In terms of drives, I recently took a RAT of my board and added the Morning Glory but haven't had the chance to experiment tooo much yet. In my head the plan is to have the MG on most of the time and add the TS9 for more driven lead lines.

Amp wise, I generally leave the amp on pretty clean, volume at say 12 and gain at 3 or 4. Happy to reconsider though, I think that has come out of habbit.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on all of that! Thanks

6. will91

will91 TDPRI Member

Hey mate, thanks for replying. So with the volume pedal after the drives, is it okay to use the tuner out? I tried to do a bit of research on this but seem to get a lot of differing opinions. I'm waiting for my new pedal to arrive at the moment after an old Fender one died on me so havent been able to experiment myself yet.

7. islander

islander Tele-Meister

So a couple thoughts. Have you thought of trying to achieve the light drive tone straight from the amp and then back the guitar volume to ge your clean? Then you could use the two drives to add more / different levels of dirt.
    I've got an old Rat that is never far from my small board. It works so well with my set up. It's just so thick with the singles.
    A thought. A booster at the end of your chain could give you a set lead boost. Just a thought.

8. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

As long as you have a good buffered pedal in front of the volume pedal, you should be able to use the tuner out with no noticeable impact.

will91 likes this.
  9. will91

will91 TDPRI Member

Thanks guys. Appreciate the thoughts! Think I am going to leave as is for a while and stop looking at pedal reviews online and getting jealous for no reason...

islander likes this.
  10. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Ever think of adding an analog delay into your signal chain, or some modulation (chorus/uni-vibe/vibrato)? Or one pedal that does both? I have a TrueTone (Visual Sound) H2O liquid chorus/delay that is killer on my main board. On my smaller board, I rotate an MXR Carbon Copy or LovePedal Echophonic Jr., depending on my mood (those 2 are considered "dark").

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.