Thoughts on satin nitro products

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mo62987, Apr 9, 2019.

1. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Finished a parts tele a while back with the stewmac rattle can black gloss with clear gloss. Because of some mistakes/blemishes that had to be sanded out or fixed at each coat, i actually ended up with a really nice satin finish. It was more of a happy accident situation, than the real plan.

Here's the issue... so my dad plays it and immediately asks if i can build one exactly like it for him. Im hoping to go for the satin feel again, but not sure if i can duplicate the same look using the gloss cans again.

Anyone used the clear satin cans from stewmac or ReRanch?? Thoughts??

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I have never uses Reranch or Stew but I just finished off a gallon of satin nitro last year my local supplier gave me for a steal to get it off his shelf. Turns out nice. I especially like it on necks and freboards.

Eric

3. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

If I were you, I would just flat sand it to maybe 800 and not buff it out. Alternatively, minwax sells a satin nitro lacquer that you can get at Lowe's

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

get the satin finish on the surface (as in by how you finish the surface), not throughout the finish. I like steel wool for a satin finish, but everyone has their preferences.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  5. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

D_W_PGH,

Will a finish like you describe tend to turn glossy where the guitar gets rubbed on by your arm or clothes? I realize if that does happen, you can always just hit it with the Scotch Brite (no magnetic "fuzzies" for the pickups to claim with this stuff) or steel wool to get it back to a satin/matte finish.......

6. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

After a while it might, at least the high wear spots. But the finish is uniform through its thickness, and if you use #0000 steel wool to create it or something like that, you can bring it back to *non* gloss any time.

With instruments, it's probably not that important, but the base finishes - gloss, or at least semi gloss - are generally stronger finishes than those that have stuff added to them to make them look like satin or matte finishes.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

800 is about 4x rougher than a typical satin finish - it'll just look scratched.

Either use satin lacquer - and DO NOT buff with fine buffing compound, stop after the first or second compound. You need to experiment on scrap first anyway, so work on scrap, refine your technique, and figure it out through practice.

Vibrolux59 and DrASATele like this.
  8. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

IMO, a duller gloss finish is preferable to a satin finish, so I would work with the gloss nitro, not brought up to a complete gloss polish, rather than satin nitro. Honestly, I think satin finishes look sort of cheesy and fake.

9. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Sounds like most of you are on the same page... which kinda matches my happy accident from before.

But before anyone replied i went ahead and grabbed the satin :oops:. Was afraid i couldn't replicate the process. Ill prob test that out on some scrap to see how it goes.

I'm typically with you on that one... with the first finish, i was really just trying to avoid a thick glossy top coat so it would wear and relic itself quickly and more naturally than a fake relic finish.

10. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Funny, I just buffed the OM I've been working on, standard gloss nitro. Wet sanded 1000 to 1500 and my first buff is Mequiers #2 (which is intended to be a fine cleaner) - that leaves a very nice "semi gloss" finish which I can always go back to with a little more #2. I continue with #3 because I don't happen to like satin or semi gloss, but if I had a request for one that is exactly how I would do it.

Didn't take any pictures , but the nice thing is it is perfectly smooth and has absolutely no scratches since I've done all the wet sanding.

11. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

You might try Mohawk they make great products. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVGOHLK/?tag=tdpri-20 You won’t find it at the big box stores, Good paint store might carry it. I just did a guitar with it (Post-black dye sand back) I used a little over to cans on the body & neck plus 3 coats of mohawk sealer first. Haven’t done final wet sand and buff yet. This was my first and last rattle can finish I prefer my cup gun more control. Still Mohawk would be a good choice if your not set up to spray.

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Agreed. I use it myself on small projects and quick neck jobs.

But as previously mentioned you have to be very cautious about buffing - satin lacquers can be easily burnished to a semi...even high...gloss if you're not careful.

Vibrolux59 and SacDAve like this.
  14. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

Well i went for the satin clear... mainly 'cuz it was paid for :cool:
    I'm definitely not hating the way it turned out!

[​IMG]

with the gloss black underneath and satin clear on top it still has that nice semi-gloss appeal.

heffus, RiversQC, Davecan and 3 others like this.
  15. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Well done.
    What pickups do you have in it?

16. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

17. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I just need to pull the trigger on a set.
    Have you seen the video from banning guitars using the porter 9t pickups? Amazing
    Wish I knew how to post YouTube videos. Check it out if you haven’t

18. mo62987

mo62987 TDPRI Member

@sleazy pot pie I have seen it at some point, but not recently. The 9T's are their standard in the Betty Mae I think.

Yeah these are definitely great pups... I've built two teles with these now and love em! I've also managed to wait it out and grab used sets on Reverb. Got both of my sets around $180 instead of the list $225

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.