Thoughts on Rosewood Fretboards

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Nov 10, 2019.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

So many guys use 6000 wire or something approaching it, and I think the opportunity for the board wood to make much difference is just about nil.

I also think a lot of people use so many effects and choose amps that don't stay clean once above Bedroom volume and so these other factors just overwhelm them.

I'll be blunt and just say, I have veered so heavily into clean sounds, in part so I can actually hear differences if they're susceptible of being heard. I also like really fat necks with just the minimal, vintage truss rod so the wood (and not the metal) is what we're more likely to hear.

DHart likes this.
  2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Indeed, subtle differences are usually completely masked by effects and overdrive.

I love clean tones too, where you can really hear subtle differences between various pickups and guitars.

While I enjoy maple necks, my appreciation for rosewood is mostly about aesthetics and feel. I do think that the nature of a guitar's woods do have an effect on tone - if one plays a clean enough style so as to not mask the subtlety of the difference.

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I like em all

Maple
    [​IMG]

Rosewood
    [​IMG]

Ebony
    [​IMG]

4. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Ebony lookin' nice on that burst.

5. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^:)

6. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I used to quite like the "veneer" board of '60's teles but I'm not over keen on a slab board. No reason really it's just that since a tele is the archetypal working man's guitar made of two pieces of wood to me it has to be a maple neck. I guess it's a feel thing rather than any discernable tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.