1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts on Rosewood Fretboards

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Nov 10, 2019.

1. GHOSTULUS

GHOSTULUS TDPRI Member

Well based on cool Factor, I think both can look fantastic, depends on the overall guitar look. But I must say, I absolutely hate the look of some of these new white looking Maple necks. If it's going to be Maple it has to have an aged look. But for myself I like the dark look and feel, Maple necks just don't feel right to me when I'm playing I'm not sure why. I like dark uniform Rosewood I prefer dark ebony I don't like streaks and I don't care for pau Ferro. And here's a question, can you dye Rosewood or Pau Ferro to make it look darker to get rid of some of the streaks I know you can dye ebony, Martin dyes their ebony boards. Just wondering. Here's some pictures of my 98 tele Deluxe, 3 pickups toggle switch belly cut like a strat very nice very comfortable[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Doctorx33 and trouserpress like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Beautiful! There was just a "show us your tort" thread and I was trying to remember where I'd seen tort binding. So that's a '98 Tele Deluxe? It came with three pickups?

3. GHOSTULUS

GHOSTULUS TDPRI Member

Yes it was a what they call a Nashville tele. Yes the fire in that tort binding is really nice[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Telecaster88 likes this.
  4. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

Keep the Pau Ferro, it's a great wood. I just bought a neck from a Player Strat with a PF fretboard to use in a build, and it looks great. It doesn't look like rosewood, but it looks swank to me.

People might think of Pau Ferro as a "substitute" for rosewood these days, but it is not a discount wood. Not too long ago (before CITES), PF was considered a posh, snob, exotic wood used in many of them boo-teek guitars.

Anacharsis and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I am convinced that fretboard material is aesthetics. Ebony, maple, rosewood... go with what looks best on your guitar. I have rosewood on my Fenders and ebony on my Martin.

6. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

I think it has a lot to do with the Aesthetics of the instrument on lighter color or wood grain I like rosewood fingerboards and on black telecasters it has to be a maple. As for playing I find I like them both for a different feel if that makes sense.

Mosstone likes this.
  7. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

I agree 100 % on a recent build I purchased a Pau Ferro and I love it but then Fender started using them on their production guitars and I'm like doods really ?

Mosstone likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Bring your own handle.

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

These rosewood v. maple discussions are goofy because people suddenly forget that many rosewood board necks have no skunk stripe and most maple board guitars are one piecers. Then they try to compare necks with these two, quite different approaches to construction.

I think this discussion is like Influenza. Knowledgeable people try to knock it down, over and over, but it keeps coming back and makes many of us sick. I'm telling you all, straight up, "rosewood versus maple" bores the cr*p out of the super knowledgeable people to the point they stop coming to TDPRI. I miss those people.

MonkeyJefferson and SPUDCASTER like this.
  10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Just play what you like. Whether it's maple/rosewood, stringthrough/toploader or ash/alder.

If you like it, have fun. All this is subjective.

I think this started out as "thoughts" on rosewood. Not the rosewood/maple comparison. JMHO:)

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

B-but we like telling people they're wrong!

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  12. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

I prefer the look of maple on Telecasters, but i have had both, and i find little or no difference in the feel or sound.

13. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

I agree. Fretboard wood is purely an aesthetic choice for me too. After all, the only reason why Fender switched to rosewood fretboards in 1959 was because Leo/Don Randal (depending on who's telling the story) didn't like the way the maple looked with wear. Not because they were trying to change the tone of the guitars.

Because it doesn't.

14. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I have aftermarket necks on both my Strat and Tele with ebony fretboards.

15. Propjob

Propjob TDPRI Member

Rosewood on my Dragons, and My Bluesboy Trib.

16. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

So now that you all have this yin/yang situation solved...big laugh inserted...here is another opinion.

Recently, I put together two T style guitars. One neck with a rosewood slab and one with a one piece bird’s eye maple. Both have the same build specs and from the Tommy days at USACG.

The rosewood board neck finished with satin nitro by USACG, and the one piece maple I finished with Tru-Oil. There is definitely a difference in the way these two necks feel and play. I must say I prefer the Tru-Oil finish. Soooo...ice.

But the difference doesn’t end there. The one piece maple is the nicest of all my guitar necks to play. All the rest are rosewood except the D-28, which is ebony.

Feast your eyes...

7D836CAF-6271-4FAF-8352-C610DBC9BE97.jpeg

boris bubbanov and Telecaster88 like this.
  17. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

+1. But there's always an exception: I have an aztec-golden Jazzmaster that definitely looks best (meaning really posh) with a light rosewood finger board.

I've done it with a light, streakish rosewood finger board. I worked well but felt a bit like cheating.

18. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

I have both, and I prefer the feel of maple under my fingers. Rosewood on a tele? Remember Robben Ford's, guys...

19. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

I can't tell any sonic difference between Maple, Rosewood, Ebony, Torrefied Maple, and richlite boards. So I can assume there is no difference, it's all aesthetic to me.

Pickups make a sonic difference. I'm done.

20. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Friend of Leo's

I prefer rosewood.

8896C009-7ACE-4A0F-92FF-148985A7D86E.jpeg 0E22BECE-AF49-46CB-ABBA-670B7C5000A3.jpeg F80D1E9F-D553-4FCF-92FB-431B917F566C.jpeg

DanDII likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.