Thoughts on Rosewood Fretboards

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Nov 10, 2019.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

So, aesthetically ... Rosewood every time.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My favorite Fender spec has an early 60s vibe. 7.25" radius on a thick slab board, chocolatey dark. 'Clay' dot markers. Small frets. Sweet 60s pickups, custom colors, and the occasional painted headstock.

But with a .95 - 1.02 neck profile. Sadly, the people who make these necks are actually elves with tiny hands...

Telebeestar likes this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I personally like maple boards a lot better than rosewood on any strat or tele. I like rosewood well enough, but maple just feels dead-on right to me. On just about any other guitar I might agnostic between rosewood and ebony, but on a Fender, it’s gotta be maple for me. I have a Robert Cray Strat that I loved with its stock neck (rosewood fretboard), but love on a whole other level with a 50’s Roadworn strat neck bolted on it. I seriously can’t imagine ever replacing this guitar...

-Ray

NewKid and Greggorios like this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I currently have maple, rosewood, and Indian laurel fretboards on my three Telecasters. I like 'em all.

I think the darker woods are more visually appealing, though.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Dukex and moosie like this.
  6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

If the guitar feels and sounds great when I play it, it doesn't matter to me whether the fretboard is maple or rosewood.

I have Teles and Strats with both maple and rosewood boards, and love them all the same.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    JL_LI likes this.
  7. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

My current preference leans towards Mulberry and Black Locust .

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have rosewood fretboards on three of five electrics and both of my acoustics. I have a Strat with a maple board and a Gretsch with Ebony. Coolness or deluxe? My $600 Tele and CS Strat both have rosewood fretboards so I guess it doesn’t identify the costly one. In fact, I like the clay dots in my Tele better than the real mother of pearl dots on the Strat. Tone and playability? With one exception other factors have a lot more to do with them. The one place maple is a standout is where lighting is dim. It’s much easier to see the black position markers on the top, and especially on the side of the board on maple.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  9. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

My main guitar of thirty years is the RW Tele in my profile pic, so that's what I'm used to. I like the "softness" of RW under my fingers. I thought I didn't like maple boards until I tried one with a satin finish. That makes all the difference to me. I only own one guitar with a poly maple board, my Classic 72 Thinline, and I really overthought it when considering my purchase. I got used to it fast. But still I prefer RW. If I ever buy another maple it will have a satin finish.

Also, I understand the circumstances behind it, but I don't really like most current RW boards... They don't have that earthy feel I associate with vintage RW*. Feel close to Pau Ferro to me. Which is fine (I have a nice Strat with a PF board, and it plays great), but given my druthers I'm attracted most to those velvety, juicy RW boards of my youth.

*By vintage I mean anything kinda older... My '99 Strat fits the bill.

10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I specifically chose a rosewood fretboard on my Tele, because I had a '66 Tele with a rosewood board that I love.

It suits me.

That being said, I thing the one-piece maple necks twang better.

11. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think the shed should be painted orange.

radiocaster likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BBCEECE5-BCE9-4E4A-80DA-CDC00AF51D6B.jpeg 98633F8C-8E93-4042-8390-FAAC8A826DA7.jpeg
    I think my slinkiest playing necks have been one piece maple that I refretted with extra jumbo wire and put an oil finish on the board.
    The typical plastic coating on maple boards is better for manufacturing but not as good for playing. Even with the finish scuffed so it’s not squeaky clean sticky it isn’t as silky for bending as a polished oil finished maple board.
    I did a few necks like that and they play so well it seems crazy what factory convention sticks us with. The EBMM EVH and later Peavey EVH had a similar slippery maple board finish but no other production guitars I’ve seen do this.

So mostly RW for me and none of the alternative darker board materials as yet.
    I’ve seen some pale RW I didn’t like as much including on an Allparts Teleneck I have that I hope will darken with time and mineral oil.

Just bought a 20 yo MIM neck and a newish D’Angelico with quite different RW but both are nice enough. I prefer the darkest but it seems to be what got harvested up already.

Hard to get a good pic with my ipad, but I like the color of the RW we seldom see any more.
    I'm not versed in identifying where it came from, and don't really want to support some idea of rarer wood being better either.
    I'm not even glad importing RW became legal again.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I like rosewood but don't buy guitars based on fretboard woods.

radiocaster, Greggorios and Artslap like this.
  14. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Ah! The wisdom.

CP.

Dukex and Greggorios like this.
  15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have no preference. If I like the way it plays and sounds then I really don't care what it's made of

16. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

6 Teles- 4 rosewood, 2 maple
    4 Strats- 2 rosewood, 1 maple, 1 ebony

No real preference, but my Strat with the ebony board is a step above.

17. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

For me, it depends on the guitar. I'm mostly into 1pc. maple necks, but my main tele has a rosewood board. It mostly depends on the color/contrast of the rest of the guitar. Light colored guitars look nice with a RW board, while darker colors (especially black teles) look better with a maple fretboard.

18. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

50's styles maple, 60's styles rosewood.

Blackguard Tele's and any Tele's and Strats that are styled like the early 50s original guitars all seem to only look right with a maple fretboard. I also prefer the 'snappier' response of the maple boards on these guitars. The classic early 60s Tele's and Strats are fine with either but I prefer the look of rosewood on most 60's versions of these guitars.

Dukex likes this.
  19. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I like both, but it depends on the color of the body.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fair enough about the light with dark color combos but a white Strat with a maple neck is beautiful.
    And WTH so is a white Tele with a maple neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.