1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts on Rosewood Fretboards

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Nov 10, 2019.

1. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Being a player that started with Gibsons, and only lately (last 5-6 years) a Tele player, I prefer dark fingerboards: ebony, then rosewood. My 06 Nashville Power Tele has a replacement neck because of trussrod issues, and my partscaster sports an ebony board. 20190425_133303.jpg 20170102_215256.jpg

Erdowonge likes this.
  2. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

For what ever reasons, i went the RW rout about 7 months back. Been enjoying em since.

Kezzell likes this.
  3. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Rosewood is my personal preference on any guitar. I like the contrast between my fingers and the fretboard. Plus it just feels better to my fingers than a finished maple wood. Some will say it makes a difference in tone. Bull Hockey! No more than the variance of one piece of wood to the next piece of the same type. If you say you can hear that small of a difference you have been reading way too many internet forum posts.

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Never liked RW on acoustics, preferring ebony. So maple my choice

Did Fender ever offer ebony boards? That black on a blackguard may be dang good looking but I've never seen one...

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have both, like both.

But, lean slightly towards the maple as my favorite.

gwjensen likes this.
  6. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

The lacquered maple fretboard is pretty ridiculous. The finish creates more, not less, friction, and the idiocy of it is obvious when it's time to re-fret. Personally, such things don't really affect my playing enough form me to get bothered by it, but what a sub-optimal design! I like rosewood on both Strats and Teles, though I've had plenty with maple boards. The current rosewood quality being as poor as it is, and given the really poor surface prep Fender is delivering now, I don't really like current rosewood (or substitutes) fretboards, period.

7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Does this answer your question?
    10-20-2019 - Logan Custom collection.jpg

:twisted:

Five teles, all with maple fretboards. A maple fretboard/one piece maple neck does add to the vibe, for me. A rosewood board on a tele only adds to the vibe if it's a rosewood tele, a la George Harrison.

Not that I don't have guitars with rosewood fretboards. Not the least of which is the acoustic/electric tele in the pic with a rosewood board.On an acoustic, it works. The look, the vibe of that one with its natural ash top just really stands out, and is a great look.

8. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

Funny you should say that.

Andy Mooney, Fender CEO, said that Ebony will be "incorporated in the line"

https://click.mc.reverb.com/?qs=0b1...d6fe7b16360a6d28c597430ef512daa3b66ecabb6902b

Can't recall a Fender with Ebony before though.

CP.

9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

I always preferred ebony over rosewood on my acoustic guitars, ukuleles, and mandolins.

However, I love those dark rosewood fretboards on Custom Shop Teles. Too bad I would never spend that much on a Tele.

My three Teles all have maple fretboards. My Strat and Jazzmaster have very nice Pau Ferro. But my new Yamaha bass guitar has a beautiful rosewood board!

10. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Rosewood is all I have. :D

[​IMG]

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  11. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

After the most recent CITES restrictions on rosewood Fender switched to Ebony instead of rosewood on their Elite series guitars. But, now that those restrictions have been lifted for musical instruments Fender has returned to rosewood on the new Ultra series, which is the replacement for the Elite series.
    The Jim Root Strat is also available with an ebony board.
    And in the past, the Montego and LTD archtops had ebony boards, as did the Strat Ultra. The Walnut Elite Strat and Elite Tele made in the early 80s also had ebony boards.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    black_doug and Artslap like this.
  12. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I’ve had both but somehow ended up with maple necks on both my tele and strat.

RW does appeal to me though, especially on a strat. A nice dark slab of rw looks simply amazing! So does a worn in maple neck though...

Can’t lose with either, slight preference for maple in my case.

13. DougM

I prefer the sound and feel of rosewood on Strats and Teles.

14. DougM

I haven't played an Ebony board Strat or Tele, so I don't know how I would feel about it's sound or feel on those guitars.

15. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

My solid-body needs are: one tele, one strat. My solid-body wants are: maple tele, maple strat, RW tele, RW strat. IME there is a variation in sound between 50s and 60s, and my impression is that it’s mostly down to the pickups (and saddles, for the teles). For me the boards are just aesthetics and feel – never been able to really hear a definite difference between the two kinds – and I want and like both, equally.

Apparently, my tastes dictate “all blonde or white”, and all of them AVRIs. I am 3/4 of the way there. The next (and last) step is fairly obvious…

4 AVRI Family with Amber and Wolf.jpeg

Telebeestar and mimmo like this.
  16. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

In most cases, I prefer a darker fretboard. Be it ebony, rosewood, pay ferro, even laurel is actually quite beautiful and comfortable. Maple fretboards, unless they’re highly figured Birdseye or has some really unique quirk in the grain, just doesn’t appeal to me, most of the time.

17. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

57avri strat by any chance?.

18. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Tele-Meister

[​IMG]
    My top 5 Strat players all used rosewood,
    Hendrix , Stevie ray, Rory Gallagher , Gary Moore , Mark knoffler
    Hendrix used rosewood strats both live and in the studio during the earlier good part of his career before it all became abit of a circus and his live playing at times became atrocious(just my opinion), he had a couple of White ones and red ones at different times also all early 60s Strat s
    I know most remember him for the awful white big headstock maple ones from the mid to late 60s but that was all fender PR and marketing plus he didn't switch to these till late 68 .in the studio he still used early 60s strats with rosewood boards.
    Sorry bit off topic. But basically
    Rosewood on a Strat ,
    Maple on a tele should be the order of life IMHO.

Just incase any one interested in Hendrix s early strats.

https://www.groundguitar.com/jimi-hendrix-gear/#chronological-list

ben smith likes this.
  19. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

56. Love everything about them, especially the big neck. It’s just a matter of time before I fall for one.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I prefer rosewood.
    I think maple looks cooler, but I like what I refer to as the “dampening” effect on notes that rosewood imparts.
    However, I don’t think the effect translates into the amplified sound of the guitar.
    For some reason, except for my EJ Strat, I’ve never kept a maple neck Fender style guitar.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.