Thoughts on Pinch kind of harmonic lead notes

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Mike_LA, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Hi Gang,

After years of playing I've been able to do a pinch harmonic thing as I play.

I'm not an expert and did a quick search of what others have posted and there where quite a few so maybe this is redundant but I wanted to pass along some things that I've noticed about how to play them and don't have time to look at alllll of the other posts.

Check out the vid to understand what I'm on about.

So after all of that, the main things that I've found to producing the sound is hit the strings with the pick at a 45 degree angle and allowing the string to graze the thumb, and have an aggressive string attack.
    You have to really hit the string so when it bounces off the thumb it still vibrates.

Then it's best in the middle of the neck, it's harder at the more extreme ends of the neck.

You have to really dig in so there is a lot of energy in the string.

To get the string to hit your finger it takes some practice but I've had best luck with just a little bit of the pick sticking out of my fingers.
    Not like you are strumming chords but really choked up on the pick, and hit it hard. You want to make it squeek.

Best of luck,
    Just my 2 Cents
    Carry on . . . . .

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I rarely play pinch harmonics but when I do (having fun with YYZ for instance) I pick pretty much as usual but use the knuckle / top joint of my 3rd finger to graze the string as I hit it and generate the harmonic.
    No idea where I acquired that technique — I’ve done it that way for at least 30 years now!

3. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I just adjust my pick slightly and put no more effort into it than normal

Love a good harmonic squeal

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.