Thoughts on neck plates?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kmaxbrady, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

36069F45-34BE-4110-8E64-ED17E2AAA738.jpeg So I made a custom rounded neck plate earlier this week. Kinda liking it. Might make more.
    Any opinions on neck plates in general? I don’t buy into the fancy “tone plates”, and I don’t see any special function that 4 regular washers couldn’t do, but that being said, they look cool and I dig em.
    0F908F0B-A206-4931-8665-F63248A271E3.jpeg 65F42DA0-DEA7-483E-A1F5-249949DE71EF.jpeg E8E21042-989E-476F-95F3-E5FC06E9FD3E.jpeg

2. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I think neck plates are a cool way to customize your guitar. I really dig the worn look of this rounded neck plate. Is there any difference you notice while playing?

3. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister

My Britt Daniel thinline came stock with the neck plate pictured below. I suppose it has some significance to him or Spoon, but I have no idea what it would be. Anyone? I really like the guitar, but the plate remains a mystery....

BD_1.jpg

BD_2.jpg

tintag27 likes this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

As far as business I think it’s cool if it’s different and brings something to the table
    Like your saddles they’re cool because they aren’t the everyday variety

Kmaxbrady likes this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

I love customizing them for my builds ...

IMG_0294.jpg IMG_0290.jpg IMG_0295.jpg IMG_0292.jpg IMG_0296a.jpg

6. Kmaxbrady

Kmaxbrady Tele-Meister

I haven’t even plugged it in yet. Just played it unplugged while watching Seinfeld :)

Fretting out and gregulator450 like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Bill Callaham's neck plates seem to hit the sweet spot, at .075 inches thick, nice stainless.

I ordered quite a few stainless neck plates in rough form, from Western New York's Vince Stadler (Taipantone, no longer in trade) in a solid one eighths inches thick, and they work great but no better, really, than do Bill's. Once you get it thick enough that it won't distort under just about all the torque some enthusiastic young user can muster, that's thick enough. More mass just equals more weight and many players would rather sacrifice just about anything to lower guitar weight.

Also, the strength has got to be there, all around the screw holes. I'm sure you've seen the cast "embossed" FMIC neck plates where the "ears" sloughed off.

I'd rather have the ones you're doing, than those with the designs on them. Those are weak. All the emphasis is on the art, almost none on the materials.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    DuckDodgers, singlecoil and Kmaxbrady like this.
  8. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

One bonus in using neck plates, in conjunction with string ferrules that sit proud of the body and not flush mounted, is having a built in 'platform' to place the guitar on its back to work on it. I know it's minimal, but knowing I can place a tele on its back without using a towel or pad of some sort is kind of cool.

9. coolidge

coolidge Tele-Meister

Word to the wise, China is counterfeiting neck plates. They are made of cheap pot metal not steel, you can literally bend them and break them in half with your bare hands.

10. boris bubbanov

I'm listening.

What I gathered was, if you want an "embossed" design in your plate, that will often be made out of that weak potting metal you spoke of. Exactly where a specific plate is made, is not as critical as whether it is pot metal and I think there's USA pot metal neck plates also. I don't have anything positive to say about these "design" neck plates because I think too many of them are made from bad stuff. My advice? Get a high quality steel neck plate, and have someone you know well, hopefully nearby, engrave a design for you. Then you won't have to worry if it is "counterfeit" or if it is made in a hostile country or if it is pot metal.

[​IMG]

See that "DA 2014002" stuff at the bottom? Anyone ever seen that before - I don't think that's valid FMIC - and I have 5 of these 2006 specific only to 2006 guitars. But the originals were pot metal and ironically, this could be steel and that would mean it would function better. But eyeballing the above screws I'd say they're too short. FMIC USA screws look more like this:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 5:44 PM
  11. Dietcokedream

Dietcokedream TDPRI Member

what about the neck plate gasket? what is the benefit?

12. boris bubbanov

There is none. But some models once had the gasket. I'd take it off and keep the gasket in a safe place IF my model of Fender guitar had come stock with one from the factory.

13. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I like extra thick neck plates. The deform less and allow you get the neck screws tight without denting the body.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I often make my own plates out of 2mm stainless... I get a strip from a local SS workshop and cut it to suit.....

I sink my Bass neck pockets a bit further into the body than normal and use a bigger plate... solid..:)

neck plate polish3.JPG

neck plate pbass.jpg

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just see it as a hunk of metal on the back of the guitar where the neck is attached.

tintag27 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.