1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts on my next project

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by SixStringSlinger, Nov 27, 2020.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Posting this here as it seemed to make the most sense.

I recently found a 1989 Korean "E-Series" Squier Strat for sale locally and cheap, and I snatched it up. It has a Floyd Rose trem (and locking nut, etc.). I've been wanting a super-Strat for a while, so this could be it. I'm planning a few changes but the bones (as they say) are good.

My idea is to make this something of a super-Strat Esquire, with just a bridge position humbucker, a volume control and a series/parallel switch as a pre-set tone control of sorts, for quick changes between something fatter and something airier. The pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB. From what I can tell, it seems like a good middle ground between a classic humbucker sound and something more shreddy, which is what I'm going for here.

My question is, what pot value would you use for the volume control? For a humbucker I'd typically think 500k. However, this guitar will have no tone control to tame any highs, single-pickup guitars seem to sound a little brighter than others, and my understanding is that the JB is a somewhat bright-sounding humbucker, which makes me think that 250k might be the ticket. Also, I'm not a fan of the volume control shaving off highs as you turn down, so if that happens to any noticeable degree I will be installing a treble bleed.

Don't get me wrong, I have both and I intend to try both out and use my ears to decide. I'm just curious what others' thought process on this might be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.