1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts on mixing speakers

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 16, 2021.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Asking for your opinion.

I have an 80s Roland JC-120 that I got for a steal - $200. Working but damaged cabinet (which I repaired myself) and non-original speakers (Eminence Screaming Eagles... which do not work well in the JC-120).

So.. I'm about to buy new speakers for it... and just for general use in any of my other amps, or future amps. Remember how people used to mix a Celestion Greenback with a Celestion Blue several years ago? It was all the rage. Well, I like that sound for cleanish stuff. That "Wind Cries Mary" tone.

But those speakers can't handle the power of a JC-120.

So I was thinking that a higher-power equivalent might be a Celestion Creamback (G12H-75) and a Celestion Cream. They're both the same efficiency rating (100db).

Also, I'm hoping to get a Fender Twin at some point, and if these Celestions didn't work out great in the JC-120, I could used them in the Twin. Or, any other amp that I have around. Since the JC120 is stereo, the speakers are 8 ohms each... so they'd work in most 1x12 combos too.

Heavy? Yeah. But the JC120 has wheels on it.

What do you think? If you've got experience with either or both of those speakers, or something else even... I'd love to hear it. I've got the money in the hand and probably going to make a purchase in the next few days.

Torren61 and northernguitar like this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My take on the JC 120 is ultra clean. Not sure the rock steady creambacks are what you want.

Maybe a NEO creamback or neo something to handle all that.

JBLs are too pricey..Maybe a couple of the new redbacks if you dont have to haul it anywhere.

imho

Torren61 and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I'd look at something like Weber Ceramic California.

Dukex and TheGoodTexan like this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Try a Weber Blue Dog / Silver Bell combo? All the power handling you want, and not crazy expensive in the ceramic versions.

5. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I believe the G12H-75 Creamback may be the most versatile speaker I've ever owned. A run a pair in a '83 /'84 Fender Concert. The cleans are "tweedy" rather than scooped. Very smooth and bell like. Also, there's not a high gain pedal or amp channel they can't handle and sound wonderful with.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

My understanding on neos is that it’s the same speaker, just a different magnet... so any differences would be slight. Am I wrong about that?

7. TheGoodTexan

I think it was @4pickupguy who had used some Creambacks recently. Any opinions here brother?

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think like any neo, they are always spot on, almost hi fi. Dynamic quality is through the roof. Which could be good or bad. Bad if you want that Delux57 crunch.
    Of course neo technology has changed a lot since my last go with them. So,. you know more than I
    about some of these new ones.
    imho

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

The only neo speakers I’ve ever used were for home and car use. Never used them for guitar at all. So... I really don’t know.

10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

The JC120 is a stereo amp, and the chorus effect is lush because it is a stereo chorus. As such, I wouldn't put 2 different speakers in it. Shifting volumes and tones may be cool, but also maybe not.

Torren61 and Obelisk like this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

Believe it or not... the chorus in the JC120 is not actually stereo. It’s only mono... only comes out of one of the two speakers. It’s a wet/dry effect on that amp.

Torren61 and Paul G. like this.
  12. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Just to give everyone a chuckle I’ll weigh in.
    I’d go a different way. I’d look for a pair of those Peavey Supremes (Eminence.)
    Why...? Well, they are great at showcasing an amp without add their own color. Only if it were me, I’d want the speaker to amplify a great sounding amp rather than coloring the amp.
    YMMV of course.

Telecasters84 likes this.
  13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

For an amp like that a pair of 70/80 Celestions is the go. You want big transparent sound. Without the chorus effect it's just a plain anodyne large solid-state amp. Putting super expensive speakers in it won't improve its essential character.

Telecasters84 likes this.
  14. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Electro-Voice EVM12L - Pricey and heavy with a transparent sound and no breakup. Lets your amp shine through.

Bottomline. I wouldn’t recommend mixing with that amp. It’s not known as the “King of Clean” for nothing...

Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

for a JC120 you are going to need at least a speaker that is 75 watts no matter what brand and something that handles guitar frequency ranges (if the amp is in peak condition) I built a set of cabs for my studio rig that are celestian on the bottom and Eminence on the top of each cab

some odf the best higher watt speakers to look at are , jensens, JBL, black widows , and do some reading of the on line specks to see what will suit your bill specifically
    your ears are your final judge ,

BTW JC120's Rock

16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't have enough experience with any of the JC series amps to give you a thought on how good those speakers will say. However, I will pipe in on mixing of speakers and a little Creamback and a little modern Neo experience.

First off, I'm all about mixing speakers... I ran pairs of Jensen C10 and P10 speakers in a few amps and cab sand always loved it. I found they complimented each other quite nicely. I ran this combo in several black and silverface amps and with my '63 Vibroverb Ri.

My most recent mixing of speakers is in my '58 Twin. When I first put the amp back together, I had a Creamback 65 and an Eminence 1258. Fantastic combo! Sounded great! But, I wanted it a little lighter, so I did some reading and research and ended up with a Neo Creamback and a Jensen 12-100. Another fantastic pairing!

The difference between the neos and the ceramic speakers in this amp were kinda subtle. The neos are slightly less efficient (even though they are rated the same online, they were subtly quieter). The highs were slightly softer as well. But, there's still plenty of sparkle and cut. The bass was just a touch softer, but with this amp, that's probably a good thing, it still smashes you in the chest with punch at volume.

In all honesty, this amp sounds devastatingly good. That's what really matters. But, the weight savings was an absolute bonus! Don't be afraid of the Neodymium!

In the end, I have a beautiful sounding amp that kicks out 80 watts and weighs in at 46 lbs.

17. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My experience is that Roland usually gets their speakers right in the first place, and that they’re flatter-full rangier than some well known replacement speakers.

Im not even a Celestion guy usually, but think the 70/80 is a very decent speaker along those lines. I get the feeling it is pulled blindly from a lot of combos by guys who can’t leave things alone, or because China, so on.

Torren61 likes this.
  18. TheGoodTexan

Just to clarify, I’m not trying to maintain the flat/clean nature of the JC120. I will use it for clean stuff, but my desire in replacement speakers was not to find something that would keep everything flat and neutral. My desire was to add a little of the Celestion midrange and high end character to the amp... hence the mixing of a “greenback” flavor and a “blue” flavor.

19. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I think you're searching in vain.Especially as you got it at bargain basement price.

There's no 'nice midrange' or Greenback character to be had in that amp. It is what it is - s big clean straightforward amp with spacey chorus. You're not going to get any woody, crang-y Marshall-y breakup that Greenbacks are part of and benefit from. That's coming via the preamp.

That amp does have a chimey quality - bright treble and limited mids and deep clean lows.

By emphasizing mids your several hundred bucks will likely turn it big, spacey and nasally.

There's a reason noone else does this. But - your amp, your money. I'd put your two-three hundred into a Katana or Blues Cube.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  20. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I was traveling back from Japan, so didn’t see this until now. I played a Deluxe Reissue in Japan with an alnico Gold Celestion in it and it was killer. I want a couple for the wet side of my rig now...

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.