Thoughts on Line 6 HX Stomp

generic202

Tele-Meister
Personally, IRs are not necessarily an improvement for me and I have used several that I have purchased in the past. I think IRs (at least the ones I bought) have a more "up front" sound as to stock HX Stomp cabs being more "relaxed." A little tweak on amp's presence or 5-band EQ between amp and cab block works just as well if and when I need more upfront sound. I've stopped using IRs altogether for awhile now.

As for HX Stomp in general, I've used it daily for the last three years. Occasional updates are very meaningful with new amps and effects to keep you intrigued. Sound is subjective but it fulfills all my needs in terms of sonic capabilities as a standalone device (no other pedals needed). And the ability to record via USB is so convenient and easy!

bluebirdrad

Tele-Meister
I have used many of these types of devices over the years. This one is an example of thoughtful engineering and it sounds great. As with all of the digital modelers the learning curve to obtain a reliable gig-worthy result can be steep. Because so much is packed into a small package, this one may be more challenging for complicated stuff but for simple effects and amp modeling it is fairly intuitive. You can go deep or scratch the surface. Either way it works very well. Having said that, I sold mine and went back to pedals because on the fly adjustments at the gig are much easier with the pedals. Plus in my current band I'm using a great tube amp and don't need the modeling.
It will be exceptional for use in a worship band if you are going direct. You may add an expression pedal for volume control.

Last edited:

guitarndrms

Tele-Meister
I use the HX stomp in a variety of settings. I have it setup in stomp mode for use with my amp, I have it also setup standalone if I don’t use an amp I run it direct. I have been very pleased with it and got a lot of comments on the sound from other players as well. It is a very useful and multi purpose unit. I use the extra footswitch too for more stomps. I wish it had more DSP but overall it’s a very nice piece of gear!

Leonardocoate

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I use the HX stomp in a variety of settings. I have it setup in stomp mode for use with my amp, I have it also setup standalone if I don’t use an amp I run it direct. I have been very pleased with it and got a lot of comments on the sound from other players as well. It is a very useful and multi purpose unit. I use the extra footswitch too for more stomps. I wish it had more DSP but overall it’s a very nice piece of gear!
Full disclosure: I have abandoned my efforts with the HX Stomp. I used it for almost a month but I decided that it was not significantly better than my Zoom pedal. Navigating through my Zoom pedal has become very easy and natural to me. The HX does not seem $600 better. I also realized that I am not all that keen on learning all of the deep editing that goes with the HX. The HX is an incredible device with whole bunch of potential. This is not intended to be a negative review of the HX. It is more of a discovery of what I want. Simple gear and focus on playing

guitarndrms

Tele-Meister
Full disclosure: I have abandoned my efforts with the HX Stomp. I used it for almost a month but I decided that it was not significantly better than my Zoom pedal. Navigating through my Zoom pedal has become very easy and natural to me. The HX does not seem $600 better. I also realized that I am not all that keen on learning all of the deep editing that goes with the HX. The HX is an incredible device with whole bunch of potential. This is not intended to be a negative review of the HX. It is more of a discovery of what I want. Simple gear and focus on playing
I can appreciate your review for sure. It took me a while to get comfortable with editing. I set it and leave it if it works. I only fool with the EQ live. I had a zoom pedal long ago and didn’t care for the sounds, I’m sure it’s come a long way since then.

Leonardocoate

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I can appreciate your review for sure. It took me a while to get comfortable with editing. I set it and leave it if it works. I only fool with the EQ live. I had a zoom pedal long ago and didn’t care for the sounds, I’m sure it’s come a long way since then.
Yes they have. The MS-50G is pretty good. It is a nice FX pedal but not as good at amp modeling (still ok) The other Zooms that I've tried did not sound as good. I'll keep working at it.

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
T
The deep editing is what keeps me away from going full on with modeling. I love the idea and the lack of necessary volume, but I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of spending more time editing and tweaking than playing.

sax4blues

Poster Extraordinaire
T

The deep editing is what keeps me away from going full on with modeling. I love the idea and the lack of necessary volume, but I don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of spending more time editing and tweaking than playing.
Might have already been said by others, there is no requirement to “deep edit”. I choose an amp, adjust gain/master/TMB/etc…. as any physical amp I own. Same goes for effect pedals, the controls are the same as a physical pedal.

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
Might have already been said by others, there is no requirement to “deep edit”. I choose an amp, adjust gain/master/TMB/etc…. as any physical amp I own. Same goes for effect pedals, the controls are the same as a physical pedal.
I can go down a rabbit hole of sag, high cut, low cut, etc…pretty quickly and think some of those are necessary to sound great. Reflections, which mic, distance, etc…. Let’s try some IR’s. I know there are people that absolutely love that stuff, it’s just not me.

Michael M.

TDPRI Member
Like the OP I was curious to buy a HX Stomp and bought one 5 months ago.
Unfortunately I haven’t touched it since.

Can anyone recommend a YouTube video tutorial that starts off really basic. I looked at a few random videos and the assumed you have a basic understanding. I don’t so it sits.

Thanks in advance.
Michael

Southpaw Tele

Friend of Leo's
I know you already got the Stomp, which is awesome. I have the Helix LT (I play at my church) and it changed how I do things in a very good way and even helped make me a better player. I still want a Stomp for grab and go for Thursday night practice and trips. Great piece of gear and congrats.

TreeSpring

NEW MEMBER!
Like the OP I was curious to buy a HX Stomp and bought one 5 months ago.
Unfortunately I haven’t touched it since.

Can anyone recommend a YouTube video tutorial that starts off really basic. I looked at a few random videos and the assumed you have a basic understanding. I don’t so it sits.

Thanks in advance.
Michael
I almost answered like I do on Talkbass, my normal instrument, but for guitar and HX I would look for Jason Sadites’ videos. When I was learning how to navigate it, his videos were helpful. And I like his results.

IceGator8

TDPRI Member
Mine sits on my desk in my project studio and gets used quite often which is surprising because I have several great amps that I can mic or go direct with a Captor X. I tend to use IR's but the internal cab sims are also great. There are a lot of places to download presets which oftentimes come with IRs. The worship crowd sells some of the best.

I've also been using it, both for guitar and bass, for fly gigs. I just throw it in my backpack and head for the airport. Three buttons is really all I need. I do have a two button extender that I sometimes use to change the bank.

The HX Stomp is absolutey one of my all-time favorite pieces of geat.

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
I have one and am still really learning to use it. I haven't brought it to a gig yet, but I don't gig very often so that's no surprise.
To me, it's easy to use considering how powerful it is, but not actually easy to use. It does sound really good once I dial something in, and I'm planning to use it at the next show. There are just so many different things it can do and so many different ways to configure it, almost too many, and my needs are really simple. Easy to get sucked down the rabbit hole of "it can do X thing and that could be cool" and forget that one or two good tones and tasty playing are all anyone ever needs.

fleezinator

Tele-Holic
Jonathan Cordy on YouTube is a big HX Stomp fan and if you're not familiar with him, his channel has loads of informative videos often with amazing playing at the top. I'd suggest perusing his channel as he's always tone hunting and building new presets (most/all of which you can pick up for $5-ish and are way better than any of the stock presets (boy they suck!))

Here's one where he builds a preset from scratch:

and one of my favorite examples of his stellar skills: