1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts on Ibanez Mikro bass?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by JaneSeekingCountry, Oct 19, 2011.

1. JaneSeekingCountry

JaneSeekingCountry TDPRI Member

I've sort of at last got to grips with a tele choice and have a lovely Indonesian '99 3 colour sunburst with a beautiful one piece neck. Tonerider p90 at the neck and Lindi Fralin hot rails at the bridge.
    Now I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez Mikro, but am also drawn to Squier VM jaguar SS.
    Playability is what i look for, with complex tone possibilities equally important, and , as i am quite old now, the very short scale of the Mikro -28.5"- looks wonderful.
    But maybe I should just put together a tele 25.5" scale [ as described in a recent thread ] to start to get the feel of what I need from a bass?
    Any thoughts?

2. bargeon

bargeon TDPRI Member

Gee, no responses?
    There is a Mikro "club" over on TB you can check out. Lots of discussion there.

I've heard, played a couple in shops. I like them. Heard one with my back turned and was surprised to see what it was I was actually hearing, I was guessing P, IMO they tend to that end of the J-to-P scale.
    Build quality seems to vary a bit but most were good for that price point.
    Up against a Squire Jag would be a pretty subjective choice.
    Let us know what you go for.

3. pick-6

pick-6 TDPRI Member

Looking forward to seeing more opinions posted because I've also been considering a little Mikro.

Will

4. TELE_BLUES

TELE_BLUES Tele-Afflicted

Iv'e had both.If you find the 34" scale length hard to deal with both of these basses will most likely work well for you.If ya wanna talk basses got to the talk bass fourm,there are "clubs" for each of these basses with many posts and questions.I had the mikro in white pearl (beautifu)and the neck feels close to a guitar neck if thats what you're after.I did a 20 min, setup job on it and it played perefctly.Sounded very good,The p/j combo worked as it should together but i found the j bridge p.u. a little lacking by it self but that's just me, many like it just fine.This bass ended up going to my grandson.The squier jag short scale bass is a 30" scal slightly longer than the ibanez and it needed nothing but a change of strings to be outstanding.The neck feels like a small version of a regular fender bass neck.Fit and finish are very good.Either will serve you well.The price of both new is more than reasonable for what you get.Both can be had for a little over $150.00 and that is a bargain,much better than the crappy basses i could afford when i started out.If you have specific question feel free to pm me

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  5. Bud Veazey

Bud Veazey Tele-Holic

I got a Mikro in the shop for repair last week. It was the first one I had seen. I'm not a bass player (fix 'em but don't play 'em), but I thought it was a nice instrument. It had good tone and felt more comfortable to guitar picking hands that a standard bass. I suspect the market for the Mikro is young players and players with small hands and short arms.

6. JaneSeekingCountry

JaneSeekingCountry TDPRI Member

I've bought a white one on Ebay.co.uk!!
    I got out a Ibanez RT260 that a friend had left with me, to see how it plays compared with Fenders, and have really enjoyed it. And I had had one of those nice shaped talman electro acoustics. Every time I've been very comfortable with the Ibanez neck and balance. Bargeon's perception of the sound without any idea of which guitar was being played was a great way to have an unbiased picture of the sound.
    It's my cheapest option at the moment. I'll play it till the spring and hope that when I get a chance to try out a squier jaguar VM I'll be happy enough not to have to buy it.
    You know what I mean....
    So many thanks to you all for interesting replies.
    The rest isn't going to be silence now -nice and noisy!

Many thanks for your replies.

7. psychetelec

psychetelec Tele-Holic

Here's a bad shot of mine. I dig P/J basses.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.