1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts On Gretsch Bass Pickups?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by PumpJockey, Oct 9, 2018.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have one of the cheap short scale Electromatic basses that is rapidly becoming a mainstay for me, both practice and gigs. Plays great but it has some featureless pickups on it that lack punch. I can boost that with a pre-amp pedal but I am wondering about doing a pickup upgrade.

Any thoughts about either the Gretsch Blacktop or Filtertron bass pickups? (It seems extravagant to upgrade all the way to TV Jones on a bass that cost me $150 used.)

Screenshot 2018-10-09 10.15.04.png

68Telebass and Telecaster88 like this.
  2. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great looking basses. When I was thinking about getting one of those I recall people saying good things about the TV Jones pups. Sorry I can't help further. How do you like the tuners on yours; are they decent enough that they would suffice if you didn't upgrade?

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

TV Jones Filtertron and Supertron type bass pickups sound great, and are dead quiet (hum free).
    Love em’.

Bassman8 likes this.
  4. PumpJockey

Tuners hold fine for me. YMMV. My only complaint was a tone pot with the usual lack of sweep: full up, turn, turn, no change, turn, suddenly full down. The volume pot has normal sweep.

I know that TV Jones pups are great. I was just questioning spending as much on one pickup as I did on the entire bass.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. Taildragger

Taildragger Tele-Meister

Filtertron guitar pups are great, but I have no personal experience with the Thundertrons. Have long lusted for a 6128 Thinder Jet, but the price has held me at bay.

6. PumpJockey

Solution: for less than the price of a single TV Jones I bought a MXR EQ pedal and dialed that in.

slauson slim and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. ADK Teleman

ADK Teleman Tele-Afflicted

I have one and love the pups! Through my Ampeg it thumps like no body’s business. I’m not changing a thing on mine.

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I have one of the first models of this Gretsch bass. It has a single pickup sitting in the sweet spot. The early editions of this model came with a TV Jones mini humbucker. I heard that later models had cheaper pickups. I love the sound of mine.

9. LoveThatBadd

LoveThatBadd TDPRI Member

I just purchased my first Gretsch Bass. A G5440LS Orange. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I have Fenders and a 5 string ESP LTD B5-E. This will be my first Archtop Electric Hollow body Bass.

10. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

If you got that sweet looking bass for only $150, might as well throw the TV Jones in it!!
    My bandleader grabbed one of those Jet Junior basses for his teenage daughter last Christmas, so I’ve been able to play around it a few times- Nice Bass!

11. LoveThatBadd

Finally my Gretsch G5440LSB came in Thursday afternoon. Each time I play it I love it even more. The Blacktop Gretsch Filtertrons sound really good. The tone control doesn't have as much control as a Fender Bass but I never turn my tone control down over 1/2-2/3's anyway. My Avatar is a photo of it.

12. LoveThatBadd

Gretsch Blacktop are good. TV Jones Thundertrons are better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.