Thoughts on finishing watching ‘Get Back’ today

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
It's certainly too tedious for non-fans of The Beatles, even challenging for Beatle nuts at times (IMO). I left with a bit of disappointment with George who was probably my fave. Someone should have hidden his wah wah and wheeled away that leslie. New found respect for McCartney who can be heard working out Let it Be while everyone else is yammering about set designs. Lennon a complete goof and probably at his most stoned, but digs in and shows his stuff on the roof top.

The transformation when Billy arrives on the scene is almost comical.

Worth a watch but once is enough for me.
Yes, George seemed so down at the beginning and it all seemed such a muddle - I think watching the transformation in such slow detail is part of what makes it so fantastic at the end. Thank goodness they didn’t perform on a boat or any of the other daft places that were suggested - central London was just right, I think - caught the changing times perfectly. By contrast, I saw last night some footage of the Stones opening a US tour in the mid 70s (first with Ronnie Wood, I think) by playing on a truck driving past the planned press conference. Just looked ridiculous, although maybe that’s just part of the difference between the 60s and 70s. Apols. if I’m treading on anyone’s treasured memories.

Robnik33

TDPRI Member
I always assumed when you talked about Lennon/McCartney, it was kinda 50/50 thing. Maybe John was more checked out by this time, but it sure seemed like Paul was the driving force.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I always assumed when you talked about Lennon/McCartney, it was kinda 50/50 thing. Maybe John was more checked out by this time, but it sure seemed like Paul was the driving force.

I believe most of the time, each of them came to the table with most of a song, and the other simply helped fill in the holes or added interest. But towards the end, they collaborated even less.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
John was sorta checked out at this time, but also it helps to keep in mind... The Get Back sessions started mere weeks after The White Album was released, on which John had pulled off some of his greatest songs ever... Like Dear Prudence, Happiness is A Warm Gun, Julia, Revolution etc. The level of productivity these guys were expected to maintain was unreal.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
It's amazing what a difference Billy Preston made when he joined in.
We all have to remember that when they originally met him he was playing with people that were their hero’s. As much as I like the Beatles I have to admit that that album would not have been good without him.

The other overlooked part is the time limit. I really believe that a time limit makes you better. In this era of cheap but professional quality studios in our homes it’s easy to work on a song until it’s perfect. And that will be a song that never gets released. Any puported increase in quality is certainly not worth the time invested if excessive.

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Watching the first disc now. Like watching paint dry. I now believe there are 3 things one should never observe being made. Laws, sausages & Beatles sessions.

Ugh! 😞

Last edited:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Watching the first disc now. Like watching paint dry. I now believe there are 3 things one should never observe being made. Laws, sausages & Beatles sessions

Ugh! 😞
It gets better. Documentaries are often not known for their entertainment value. If you aren't a Beatles fan, the documentary likely won't turn you into one.