Thoughts on Cort Guitars.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by The Angry Possum, Jul 18, 2019.

1. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

I just purchased an absolutely gorgeous Cort MGM made in Korea guitar on flea bay for $300 w case. It plays and looks astonoshing. I cant believe the craftsmanship. Its very similiar to a PRS style if I'm allowed to say that. Anyways your thoughts on Cort Guitars. The good and bad, if you will.

Screenshot_20190718-145335_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20190718-145352_eBay.jpg

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've played a few Corts, and they were all great quality. My #1, a 1993 made in Korea Fender Squier Telecaster, was made by Cort, so obviously I like the brand.

mb doug, The Angry Possum and Shuster like this.
  3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

the matt guitar murphy... that is a sweet guitar. cort makes some really great high end guitars. the larry coryell (at least they used to) and a few others are really great. as I understand, and if I'm not mistaken, cort=mighty mite. I believe they were the 'behind the scenes' mfg for a lot of korean made guitars, maybe still are.
    I have a cort acoustic I've had for 20 years. It was about a grand new - solid cedar top, mahog back and sides... fishman bridge. plays like an electric and sounds sweeter every year. they make good stuff if you are willing to pay for it.

4. claes

claes Tele-Holic

Cort is probably where you get the most for your buck. But whatever they do they just don't seem to be able to sell in the top of the line.
    Cort is crying all the way to the bank since they becomed a fortune 500 company building guitars for everybody else.
    Nice guitar

5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bought my Nephew a beautiful Cort guitar a few years back, it had this wild pirate type picture on it? Very well built, and sounded better than I expected!! Wish I could find the same guitar in a Lefty model,,, dream on!

mb doug and The Angry Possum like this.
  6. 545454

545454 TDPRI Member

I've had a couple of the Strat-ish models, G250 and G270, and they are excellent - great necks and hardware, really well appointed. Probably be looking at 2 or 3 times the price to get the 'right' name and country of origin!

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Perfectly good guitars for cheap.
    I have seen, and set up many through the years.

8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Probably half the guitars currently in existence (regardless of what it says on the headstock) came out of a Cort factory? And yep, nothing wrong with the couple I've had a go on.

9. sunkidd

sunkidd Tele-Holic

Yeah, and the other half made by Samick....

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

my main guitar over the years, modded it a lot with different pickups but now this one is don.
    only isseu with these type/model. fretwear.
    the 2 i had both had to be refretted.
    but i prefer this headstockshape with the nose up
    [​IMG]

curved blades Lawrence L500, L220, L90 from the 70/80
    5 way B > B+N > N > N+M > M
    master volume with G&L PTB tonecontrol

11. DrThunder

DrThunder TDPRI Member

I have a Cort Evl, its a flat black LP shape with passive EMG pickups...and until I decided to lean hard into country/rockabilly stuff, it was my number 1 for years. Great guitar, sturdy, reliable as hell (i think ive tightened the jack once or twice and that's it), and holy **** I dig them passive EMG's with my mark iv and that guitar and a few pedals I was in a cover band and could get about any tones I needed. Fun times.

[​IMG]

12. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

I have one of these, a Cort M520. It was cheap and frets worn out. I had new frets put on it and now it's better than new, sounds great and plays well too. I have been trying to sell it for a while without any luck. The problem with Corts is that people don't know about them. If it was a big brand sold at every store people would go nuts over these. I don't expect to get back the money I put into it but still...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mb doug likes this.
  13. peeweepete

peeweepete TDPRI Member

I have a Cort M200 which I bought around 200? (can't remember exactly) as my first electric. It does need some fretwork now and the switch died on me recently but other than that it's a solid guitar for a small price.

I put Tonerider pickups in it and it would benefit from a new nut. I want to learn doing fretwork and making a new nut and I'll start on this guitar.

So even if I don't play it much these days it will still serve a purpose which is great. Should my son pick up an interest in playing guitar it will become his first one too.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    mb doug likes this.
  14. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Cort Z Custom.

One of, if not THE nicest playing and setup guitars I have ever played. The neck is unreal with an amazing V shape up around the nut.

Comes standard with Seymour Duncan 57's, a gorgeous guitar.

IMG_5135.jpg

15. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

i would look into the Bill Lawrence pickups if you like the feel of this guitar you can go country and rock with them and they do clean very well

DrThunder likes this.
  16. horax

horax Tele-Holic

17. bigbandtele

bigbandtele Tele-Holic

I have a Cort G250P - that’s the stratty HSS model they make, but with a Wilkinson/Fishman piezo bridge. I’m just starting to dig into the possibilities by running the electric and acoustic signals to separate outs. I spent a pittance onit, relative to any other guitar with these capabilities.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.