1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts on compressors?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Adriano9009, Sep 25, 2013.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

Ba6a.

2. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

The old vintage RCAs? LOL! That will be what, around 4-5 grand?

3. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

And worth every penny. :lol:

The Barber Tone Press is a good one for guitar. Nice box.

4. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

Ross comp. nuff said!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

5. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Serious? I played Ross when they were new. They are noisy and massacre you high end. I played one because I could't afford any better.

6. BootRoots

BootRoots Tele-Holic

But the guy from phish plays one and then everyone starts hearing what they want in the pedal. Not a big fan of the ross either.

7. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I guess it depends on what you're used to. Started with a gray Ross. Then went on to "better", more transparent comps and never felt like I was there.

Recently bought a cheapo Joyo, sounds very much like a Ross, but less noisy (and less max compression). It is junk and it will break. But for under $40 I'm happy, dirty and squishy.

Yes compressors are a cool tool. Use 'em if you like, learn how to set them and yay.

They are processors, and your sound a bit artificial, but it can be a useful sound and dynamic. Of course you're playing an Electric guitar, through an Electronic Amplifier, hearing the results through electro-magnetic transducer. You're not really starting out from a "natural" or "organic" place.

P.

8. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

I think you meant the release control. (As in I think you knew that)

If you set the threshold low enough and the release long enough, as the note decays the compressor will keep acting on the signal above the threshold, and a nice long decay will keep it from stuttering/breathing.

Some compressors even have a hold or sustain control which is pretty trick.

The only PITA with these is you sometimes have to follow the ADSR of the sound source well enough not to get nasty artifacts.

OTOH, you can often completely mutate the ADSR of the sound source to get very cool stuff.

The trick is, you get to do whatever you like from transparent processing to complete audio mutation.

I am sorry to hear this!
    Perhaps you will get to try many different types and models over the years and find something that will be useful.
    Have a look at the "Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor" and see if that looks a bit more adjustable and fun to work with.

I love the way they sound, and wish I could afford one!

:cool: The Drip Electronics kit build might be a little less costly, and you could make a few of them for the stereo buss.

9. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

I won't leave home without one. My Wampler Ego is so good.

10. wstarkel

wstarkel Tele-Meister

I use my compressor, a cmatmods deluxe signa comp, to "even out" the output of my different strings most of the time it is on. Also gives a nice polish to my tone. I turn it off, but only when I'm running high gain pedals (Muffs, MIAB, etc) that compress a lot on their own. For me, compression becomes more important as your gain decreases.

Some have mentioned an attack knob on compressors; I think this is a crucial component of going between super squishy very compressed tones and just putting a bit of even keel and polish to your tone.

11. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

many years of playing and gigging, i never owned a compressor.

bought one last year.

feels like cheating. heh

12. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

I have a pretty large pedalboard. The compressor is my least used effect. When I'm in the studio, I insert rack mount compressors all over the place (most channels, actually); but, I rarely use when playing guitar. I've tried everything from high dollar pedals to your standard Dyna Comp (back on my current board)...I just don't find them all that useful. I'd rather layer quality overdrives & boosters & even Fuzz boxes while cutting back their gain, instead of stomping on a compressor.

13. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I use one a lot. I like the Keeley 2 knob. I use it for a volume boost, and depending on what I am playing anything from supersquished as an effect, to very subtle mostly using it as a boost.

14. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

I have been using a Wampler Ego Compressor for awhile. Meets my needs, only pedal I use.

15. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]I leave my comp on all the time. I have no idea what it does, but if I accidently shut it off I can tell.

16. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Holic

My Ross Comp isn't noisy at all.
    I have used mine for years and I like the way it sounds. I like the the way it breaths and pumps. I can tell it is working and it has just the right amount of sustain for my ears.

To each his own I guess.

17. Adriano9009

Adriano9009 TDPRI Member

How is the wampler ego comp? It's true bypass I'm pretty sure right?

18. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I tried one and I liked it except that even with the tone all the way at 0 it still brightens up the tone, which I don't need or want with a Tele.

19. orangedrop

Wampler Ego Compressor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGPDVjsYfFw&desktop_uri=/watch?v=LGPDVjsYfFw&app=desktop
    Seems the "sustain" control is essentially the threshold and it has an auto release as part of the ADSR

Brent Mason With Mr. Wampler demonstrating how Mr. Mason uses it.
    Look at how high (how low the sustain knob is) Mr. Mason keeps the threshold so the compressor is just lightly effecting the guitar.
    He also keeps the mix control backed off some so the transients of his picking are not completely effected by the compressor no matter where the attack control may be set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wg2M3U6_HE&app=desktop

20. orangedrop

Try lowering the "sustain" control some more and backing off the mix and fiddling with the attack.

The balance of these can sometimes have a bit of a thinning effect, which while not exactly adding treble can reduce some mid and give a pointier tone.

compressors can definitely twist tone and make things quite glassy or very um, oomphy sounding.

Great for a drum buss when you want to make it kick some butt.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.