1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

thoughts on Celestion vintage 30 speaker in a 65 deluxe reverb RI?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitartom_ca, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Guitartom_ca

Guitartom_ca Tele-Holic

I have a fender 65 deluxe reverb RI with the original Jenson 12" speaker. I am thinking about buying a celestion vintage 30 speaker to try in this amp. What differences should i expect in sound with the celestion speaker? i play mostly country / blues.
    pros / cons of Jenson vs celestion speakers?
    thanks

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Celestion is going to have a strong midrange honk that works well wgen you dime thge amp but will lose all it's sparkle at cleaner volumes. For me anyway, there's nothing like alnico for a Deluxe Reverb.

3. Unadan

Unadan Tele-Holic

Personally I'd stick with the stock speaker - truer to a vintage DR sound unless your going for more straight ahead rock tone.

4. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Let the stock alnico break in,if it hasn't already.
    I've had mine about a year,although it belonged to a good friend who played it awhile before me.Stock is good.

5. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

The question is why are you changing the speaker out? What do you not like about the stock speaker and what are you wanting to get out of the replacement speaker?

6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

if you notice loads of botique amp mfg still use that in combos. some are switching to the cream backs. some g12 h30.

7. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

The V30 makes the amp louder and more midrange focused, which is good since the DRRI does have much midrange. It is a much better gigging amp. I've done this and liked the results.

8. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

For me, the V30 made for a great speaker in a closed back extension cab with the DRRI but I didn't think it sounded great on its own

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

DRRIs come with ceramic Jensen speakers these days. which are very lame IMO.

I swapped literally a dozen speaker in my Deluxe Reverbs... so many, alnicos, ceramics, eminence, webers, Celestions of all types.... I can't even remember them all.

But my favorite speaker ended up being the Weber 12F150.. luscious clean blackface tone to die for, a HUGE improvement over the crappy stock speaker. I also love old JBL speakers too... and the Eminence Swamp Thang is wonderful too.

Everything else.. meh.. good luck tho! But whatever you end up with will be better than that Jensen.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The stock speaker is totally fine IMO

Still, mine sports a reconed old alnico after using a Weber 12F150 for about a year

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not very familiar with the sound of new Jensen reissues, other than one I yanked out of a Brown Princeton to replace with a far far better sounding Celestion Gold (10").
    Before the explosion of speaker options I used to put V30s in almost anything that had a lousy speaker. Now I put them in boxes in the garage. A V30 could well be an improvement in your DRRI, and if you have access to a used one local and under maybe $60, I'd say give it a try.
    But there are so many great speakers now for under $100, and even better ones over $200, I wouldn't reach for a V30 in preference to all other options.
    I would probably try an Eminence Red Ryder (discontinued but cheap used and a superbly well balanced speaker) Eminence Tonkerlite neo (sounds way better than I expected given internet info; paired it with a Celestion Gold) EV SRO with coffee can alnico magnet (not the big flat ceramic 200watter) Eminence Red Fang, Celestion Gold.
    All of the above speakers have some of the fat mids I like in a Brit speaker without quite sounding BRITISH.
    And there are many other great speakers I haven't tried but others like.
    The Celestion G12H30 Heritage 55hz MIGHT be nice, but IMO it has too much bass for some amps depending on what you like. Haven't tried the H30 Anniversary, but it might be better than a V30 which seems to me to have too much character. I won't try to describe the character as I haven't taken one out of the boxes in a few years, but I started putting them there when I found other speakers that that sounded more like the amp and guitar, if that makes sense.

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have a V30 in my hopped-up Princeton, and it sounds quite good.

13. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a Mesa Boogie DC3 with a stock V30 and I never liked the speaker. Raspy and not warm sounding in that amp.

14. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

This. The V30 is the perfect speaker for the DR. Also raises the breakup point, and gives the amp much more clean headroom.

T.

15. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

I tried a V30 in my DR. I found it loud and middy with a weak low end. I replaced it with a vintage P12 N and never looked back. The P12N sounds much better to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.