Thoughts on Breedlove Guitars

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I looked at Taylor, but the model I think I want (414 CE) is no longer made. And I’m a little wary of just ordering one through the mail to see if I like it or not.

I am not a fan of the Taylor Depression System electronics. And I find many of their lower end models to be obscenely over priced.
When I bought my main acoustic, I based it on "live performance sound." I don't play in the parlor. When I play acoustic, I'm plugged in and don't really care much about the unamplified sound.
I noticed that every time I was in a club and heard a great on-stage acoustic sound, it was a Martin. Every time.
I actually prefer the acoustic sound of the Breedlove, and they play really great too but, live performance is the most important criteria for me so, the Martin was a no-brainer. I have a Martin Siris and it gets the job done with aplomb.
Cost about $1500 seven years ago. And I just refretted it last year. It gets played!

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
I based it on "live performance sound."
This is the key perspective. Where is it going to be used? I think Breedloves are completely undistinguished guitars that continue to place cosmetics -- pretty appearance, sometimes-odd wood choices -- above pure acoustic performance, but if you're playing plugged in and want a slicker neck, they could be perfect. I wouldn't buy one myself because there are numerous other options that are somewhat better for me because I play purely acoustically, or if amplified, it's through a mike. So Breedloves are not for me. The best pure acoustic sound of any of my guitars is, yes, the Eastman AC622CE special which has a combination of features, notably a soundport, that deliver a "better" sound than anything else I have, including some much more $$$ acoustics. It's "best" because it works for how I actually use those guitars. (It's also immaculately built.)

FMA

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a Breedlove Jeff Bridges model and it's an amazing guitar. All solid wood, nice neck, fine balanced tone. I was a little put off by the signature thing, but, for the bucks - I got it for about five bills - it's a great guitar. A buddy who runs a studio kind of scoffed when he first saw it, but now he keeps trying to convince me to sell it to him.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a ‘Pursuit’ CE in Mahogany... I love it. At $350 or so it is not a ‘fine instrument,’ of course, but its construction has held up after moving from humid Maryland to bone-dry NM and it’s never seen a humidifier and I leave it out on a stand. When I pick it up (not often), it’s in tune and stays that way. I don’t know how their non-China models are and maybe I’ve been lucky but this one is solid.