Thoughts on Breedlove Guitars

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Anyone on them? With mildew destroying my old Epiphone PR 350, I’m in the market for a new acoustic.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
Hit and miss in my experience. At any price point some are exceptional, some are duds, and some fall somewhere in between. Try before you buy. I had a Breedlove prototype electric for a while, and it was a really great one. I stupidly traded it.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I went shopping with a trio member for a new guitar a few months back. She played everything in the store and walked out with a Breedlove.

I don't know how consistent the are, but she found a gem. It actually won out over a Hummingbird they had.

My only gripe is that most are laminate back and sides, which is done well and only accounts for about maybe 20% of the tone anyway.

Certainly worth trying them out.

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
What’s your price range and what type of guitar do you want to replace it with?

With a grain of salt, I’m an old grumpy man. To me, all the Breedloves have a slick sound and feel that is quite contemporary, and was easy to hold and play, but just doesnt sound or feel like a guitar. Not really to my taste, they seemed to lack character, on par with Taylor and Takamine. And there’s nothing wrong with them. I bet that just about anything from Breedlove would play like a sports car compared to your PR-350.

Archtop Bill

Tele-Holic
I have a 2014 MIK Stage Concert that I bought used in 2018, but it was virtually unplayed. Indian rosewood back and sides with a surprisingly nice spruce top. The abalone rosette and binding are striking. It is a rare occasion when I take it our that it does not get compliments for its looks and tone. The electronics are better than just okay and sounds great through an acoustic amp or my Quilter with the gain backed off a tad. It came with a nice gigbag and a spare saddle with shims and a wrench for the neck and bridge trusses. Like I said, it was essentially as new. I even got the Breedlove sticker for the rear window of my car.

Many who hear and see it assume it is a far more costly MIA Breedlove.

The guitar plays great and projects well. I had to adjust the bridge truss; if it comes loose, I noticeably lose volume. It does need 12 or 13 for strings as lighter gauge strings just sound wimpy. The neck is a tad narrower than a lot of flattops. I wanted this so I could quickly adjust when switching between the Breedlove and my Tele.

When I got mine I was looking for an acoustic in the $500 to $700 range. This one compared favorably to the dozen or so in the shop. I have zero regrets that I chose the Breedlove.

brianbivens

TDPRI Member
One of the best guitarists I know, is a total Breedlove advocate. He plays mostly finger style, Bluegrass and worship music at church. He has several of them in every one of them that I’ve played it has been very nice. I settled on a Martin SC-13e, because I’m more of an electric kinda dude…

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
I always liked their MIA solid wood guitars.

I've been unimpressed with their MIC laminate guitars.

Haven't played their MIC solid wood guitars, but they might be the "for the money" sweet spot.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I've only played one. Stayed at a house and she left hers there to play. It just seemed like a huge brick, fat neck, heavy and cumbersome. This was 15 years ago.

KC

Friend of Leo's
I have a Breedlove parlor guitar, low-end model, made in Asia somewhere, I think it was $200 on a Stupid Deal, and it's a pretty great little guitar. Plays well and surprisingly loud, though not a lot of low end. Will keep up with a dreadnought for projection and volume. Electronics are functional, I've used them on gigs and gotten by. Great couch guitar as the small size is very comfortable to play.

I mean, it's not a Martin but I don't take my Martin camping at the lake, either. It's a good enough guitar to make me curious about their higher-end stuff.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have an Atlas. Was in the <$1K price range. Really nice guitar, good electrics. Obviously not a big item, but the absolute best case of any I've ever had.

It is the one I leave out to pick up and play. I like my Taylor's better but they were more expensive.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I have one and I like it very much. Plays good, sounds good. I tried to upgrade a couple years ago and bought a nice a Yamaha. But when I brought it home I found the Breedlove sounded better. So I returned the yammy and never doubted the Breedlove again. Very nice full and balanced sound, to my ears.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Thank you guys for your replies. Keep them coming. For those of you who have them, what do you think of the pinless bridges? Do you feel like they compromise the sound?

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I had a Breedlove Oregon for a while. Beautifully made guitar, but found I couldn't bond with the thin neck and the bright, Taylor-esque tone.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I’ve yet the meet one that I liked.
Sonically, they remind me of Taylor guitars.
They sound bright, and “hard”.
I prefer their more traditional models.
Breedlove’s own designs look odd, IMO.
Your results may vary.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Thank you guys for your replies. Keep them coming. For those of you who have them, what do you think of the pinless bridges? Do you feel like they compromise the sound?

One of the big plusses of a pinless bridge is to reduce the mass of the bridge and help keep the top lightweight and lively for improved volume and tone. But most all models also incorporate the JLD Bridge Doctor (bridge truss system), designed to keep the bridge flat via a dowel braced against the tail block. The JLD unit mounts on the internal bridge plate, which adds mass to the bridge/top.

origin.jpg

Does the JLD unit work? Yes it does; it prevents (and can correct) the top bellying under string tension on the bridge.