Thoughts on an Arch Top Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Fluddman, Sep 12, 2019.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Meister

Thanks @Fluddman ! ;)

Here's my Grestch Archtop Dept. (sorry : Lefty... :oops:) :

[​IMG]

And obviously, I'll second @CalebAaron666 's advice :cool: :

You can't be wrong with a Gretsch Archtop like the G5420, for sure... :)

-tbln

Fluddman and CalebAaron666 like this.
  2. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Of course, you don't need an archtop to play jazz. I find my Tele's work perfectly well for swing/jazz. It can be more about the amp and midrange more than anything else. I use a 5e3 clone most of the time, though a PRRI or DRRI can work just as well with a bit of roll-off on the tone knob.

Having said that, I have a lot of archtops :) I have a lot of lower-end boxes that are perfectly workable, but I've been chasing that Grant Green tone for some time and finally found it -- for my purposes -- with an Eastman 403 with a Rose Pickups Mozart -- humbucker sized, alnico poles, kinda like a jazzmaster pup or a McCarty pickguard pickup. I also have recently picked up a Comins GS16 laminated box that I put a Fralin hum-cancelling humbucker sized p90 into. Between the Eastman and the Comins, I think I may have my archtop desires covered.

I have several solid wood Eastman archtops, but I think that the sounds I'm really looking for come out of laminated boxes instead. If I feel the same way next year, I may sell off a couple of the solid wood guitars.

I've been using the Eastman in a Boswell Sister's harmony group and it works perfectly for that, and the Comins got it's Trio debut on a River Cruise ship last Saturday. I'll be using it tonight as well.

In my larger 5-piece, I'll use a Tele or a Godin Montreal w/ Fralin HB size p90's.

Fluddman and maggieo like this.
  3. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic

I love Eastman's guitars. You can't go wrong.

Another idea; look for an older George Benson Ibanez. They're amazing.

moosie and Fluddman like this.
  4. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Guild has a fantastic lineup of hollow and semi-hollows. Id definetly check them out. I picked up an M-75 recently becuase I wanted a P90 hollowbody. Love this thing. Cleans are just amazing and it has such a great tone when you roll volume back to 6. set the up to the edge of break, and then crank that sucker back to 10 ;)

20190905_130217.jpg

Zepfan and Fluddman like this.
  5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That Byrdland!! :)

Fluddman, jayyj and Telecaster88 like this.
  6. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the replies and for all the greats pic's of gorgeous hollow body beauties.

I am a tele guy but I am being seduced by the archtops particularly the L-5 style of guitar.

I played a couple of Eastman's today and was impressed by their sound and feel. The neck profile was perfect for me and felt familiar and comfortable.

Of course I also played a couple of tele's. A 60s Original in Lake Placid blue - stunning colour and great feeling neck (full but not too large) and Custom Shop 59 Journey Man Esquire - both were so tempting but I already have so many tele's.

Ok back to Archtops.

Cheers

7. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

I am not familiar with these - but what a great looker. Thanks

8. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Roy Clark played a Gibson Birdland. Ever since then I have liked them. I will never own one. too high. I need a guitar that looks just like it.

Fluddman likes this.
  9. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Mid-90s Gretsch Historic Series 3110 does the job.

20181204_093513.jpg

10. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

As does the current g5420

20170701_112410.jpg

CalebAaron666, Zepfan and tubelectron like this.
  11. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Nice. I could go for one of these.

I am a little gun shy on the electromatics though - I played one that was fantastic but I didn't have the cash at the time. When I finally got one it was a lemon.

Thanks

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

DSCF3612.JPG This 60's ES330 clone(MIJ Encore) is my first guitar and I love the feel of a arch top guitar. I can play a flat top okay, but I really prefer the arch top. Guess I was ruined from the start.;)
    Also had a LP Studio in the past and a LP clone. Now I have a DeArmond M72 with the Goldtop Humbuckers and a Duesenberg Les Trem II. DSCF0811.JPG

stevemc and Fluddman like this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have a Gretsch Anniversary that I use for vocal accompaniment. I prefer my Stratocaster with VN pickups for jazz. It’s wired for bridge and neck and I use all 22 frets. I like my Annie for what I use it for but I have a particular sound I’m going for for jazz that I can only get from my Strat.

Fluddman likes this.
  14. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Played a couple more Eastwood’s today. They were very nice, then I spotted a CS 59 Esquire and stupidly gave it a try. It was sensational and it was all I could do not to buy it.

So you know your a Tele guy when you going looking for an Archtop and nearly buy yet another Tele ;)

maggieo, El Tele Lobo and Flaneur like this.
  15. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Meister

I have 5 Arch tops (Hollow Bodies),each with two humbuckers...

I love their beautiful design ,BUT I don't like the boomyness, resonance and the lack of tightness when you play them amplified, especially with dirt boxes,

I have them all stuffed ( foam) like xmas geese to minimize that...but a little bit is still audible, so I don't play them very often with an amp

it seems,I'm a solid-/semi-body guy..through and through

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  16. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Braveheart, the Sonic result of those hollow bodies is not...outside of feedback due to resonance...is attributable to the density of the material to/on which the bridge/strings are sitting on or attached to. Since there is not much density in that hollow body, the attack is slower and not as sharp as a semi hollow. Said semi-hollowbody yields a softer and slower attack than does a light hollowbody, which yields softer and slower attack than does a heavy...denser...solid body.

Zepfan likes this.
  17. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

Could you give me a quick video of the sound? I’d love to get one, but no one locally has them to try out so I would have to order. Most YouTube videos I find on it are very low quality.

18. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jon, Did you try Steve's Music in Ottawa? Looks like they have 2 Kingpins (single pickup/no cutaway) and 1 Kingpin II (2 pickups/with cutaway), according to their site, "in stock." (I hadta to check thinking Canada has got to crawling with Godin guitars.)

19. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

I’ll check again! I was in 2 weeks ago and they had no 5th avenues that I saw!

20. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

You never need an excuse or reason to post those pictures.

Flakey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.