Thoughts on a new project.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ironwolf, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

As I wind down the SG project I'm currently working on, I've started thinking about what I want to do next. "Next" is a relative schedule, as my actual next project is a butterscotch blond "black guard" style Tele for my sister-in-law; hopefully to be completed by Christmas.

After the tele, however, I need something more challenging. I'm thinking a special variation on a Fender.

I was watching a video of the Eagles performing "Hotel California" the other night, and was fascinated with Don Felder's double neck SG. So, now I'm thinking " what about a double neck Strat. With set necks. And angled head stocks. The twelve string side with 'buckers, the six string side with single coils and a Trem." Awesome.:twisted:

What do ya'll think?

2. xbearxau

xbearxau Tele-Meister

Id vote a TeleStrat. 6 string Strat and 12 string Tele, but in La Cabronita style with TV Jones Filtertrons. Jangly Filtertron goodness.

Either way sounds like a cool project.

3. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

A really cool concept, but a double-neck guitar sounds too
    heavy to be fun to play.

How about keeping some of the ideas (like set neck) but stick to
    a single neck instead?

Or maybe you'd really like to play a double-neck?

4. Ironwolf

No, the double neck is a prerequisite. The weight isn't that important; it's a specialty instrument, you don't use it for a whole gig, just an occasional song.

It's the combination of all the features that makes it special.

5. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weight needn't be a problem. A well thought design could easily have the entire guitar weighing the same as a heavy single-neck.

I reckon you could keep it under 10 pounds.

6. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

7. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

When you wrote "I was thinking of..." in your original
    post, I assumed that the features you mentioned were
    not set in stone.

So I guess you're only looking for comments on aspects
    that you haven't mentioned so far?

8. Ironwolf

Looking for comments on detail; both design and hardware. The body style is not set in stone; I was thinking of a double Strat, but an original design body is possible, as is something like the Tele-Strat hybrid mentioned above. If the body isn't based on a fender design, the scale length is negotiable. In point of fact, at this stage, only the double set neck aspect is concrete.

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was going to build a double neck guitar at one point. Then I actually played a couple.

In person, I think they are kinda goofy, and really impractical.

10. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

How about something that had a lot of carving... For example, I've been planning on doing a Parker NiteFly and then a Fly/DragonFly copy. The NiteFly is very subtlety, yet ingeniously, designed to sit/play like a Fender - but has a 22 fret neck with no overhang, a curved neck heel, and an asymmetrically carved top that makes the normal arm/belly contours superfluous - I think that would be a modest challenge for an experienced builder as it would involve a neck/pocket design as well as different body contouring involving more of a 3-D approach.

A Fly on the other hand, get out the 3-D glasses!!! - that would be a challenge as the wood at the neck joint is only about an inch thick: Ken Parker designed a neck joint as well as CF reinforcement to get that to work. Not to mention all of the carving - a lot of people don't like the body profile, but the carving on a Fly is really beautiful. Really the state of the art for solid body stuff. I think making an accurate fly copy would be a challenge for anyone.

Most copies of Parkers only go as far as matching the 2-D profile, but I think it would be silly to only go that far and miss the really interesting aspects of the designs.

The Parkers have some unique bridges and electronics too, but IMO, any good bridge with the right string spacing is a winner and the simpler the electronics are the better.

I'm working towards these projects myself, but if you want a challenge .. there ya go.

11. Ironwolf

One of the things to be determined is the wood type or types. With a set neck are there disadvantages or problems with using different neck and body woods? The only one I've built up to now used black walnut in both the neck and body. Gibson uses the same woods, other manufacturers I don't know about.

Wood possibilities: In the past I've worked with figured, ambrosia and spalted maple. Sepele (also called African mahogany), black limba, pine and swamp ash. All have their advantages and disadvantages. It will also depend, of course, on whether the finish is a solid color or a natural wood finish.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What about a through-neck(s)? With like, Paulownia bewteen them and on either side?

13. Ironwolf

Something like that would be a possibility, perhaps using bass (I've seen no sources of paulownia in this part of the country.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  14. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Ya - where do people get that stuff out west?

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I really like Limba, soft, easy to work with , and light weight. Smells like fungus when you cut it though.

16. Ironwolf

After consideration, I'm leaning towards using cherry as the wood. Probably weigh a ton, but should be very pretty.

17. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

i'd say have fun with the body and headstocks on this one. you've already copied a few guitars, why not do something completely different? and you can at least reduce some of the weight by hollowing out/chambering the cherry. i really like the way those SG double necks look just because of the curves and contours of the body so if you want my opinion, put some cool curves and contours in whatever body you decide on.

18. iwantorock

iwantorock NEW MEMBER!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.