Thoughts on a guitar rig for new player

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Scott V, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

One of my Sister's daughters (Maddy) is really taking off on guitar, she's been playing an acoustic I bought for an older daughter who abanded it.
    Maddy is getting pretty good, keeps placticing and now wants an electric guitar. I wanted to put together something that would be a decent sounding rig without breaking the bank. Below is a list of bands she's into.

Lamb of God
    Slipnot
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Killswitch Engaged
    Tsunami Bomb
    Zeppelin
    Ac/Dc
    Eagles

My first thought was a Squier Bullet Strat and a Vox Pathfinder 15R, but not sure if that stuff would have enough saturation for the metal she's into. I could put a humbucker in the Strat, or I also have a ESP Viper 50 with humbuckers I could donate to her. Any thoughts on an inexpensive amp to cover that ground, or perhaps a pedal in front of the 15R.

Thanks-

2. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

A Vox Valvetronix would fit the bill or, they aren't exactly my thing, but maybe a Cube or Line 6 deal.

There's a Vox AD15 in the classifieds right now for $125 shipped. (No connection to the ad, just pointing it out.)

3. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I'd say one of those little Epiphone Juniors that they sell at Guitar Center for $99 would be a good guitar for her--a single HB in the bridge, the shorter Gibson scale, and no wobbly trem to get in the way. Also, a G-DEC would be cool to be able to jam to, and I think there's on in the classifieds here for under $100.

4. Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly Former Member

Anything pointy shall suffice.

Marshall half stack.

Boss Metal Zone pedal.

5. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

roland cube 15 good quality has some effects my music store guy said he has had his about 20 years-he says his mom bought it for his birthday i saw one last week $75 used 125 $ new and a new squier cv $350 or less best deals out there these are good quality lots of people here have these guitars so they are pretty good instruments
    look at it as an investment in her future
    she'll grow into both

bw

6. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

how old is she (i.e. how big are her hands)? wondering if you'd want full-scale or mini-size guitar.

yeah, the G-DEC would provide many happy hours of self-entertainment for a kid!

7. PixelMover

PixelMover Tele-Holic

She's probably looking towards the more metal guitars ESP, Dean, Schecter, Ibanez, Jackson. A buddy of mine (who also plays this music in question) just purchased a Line 6 Spider -- it's a modeling amp with premade settings for clean, crunch, metal, insane. He bought the larger 75W version but there is also a 15W for $99. I was pretty impressed with the sound if produced. Metal and Insane was very close to Mesa Boogie.

Here's more info on the amp $99:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944831-i1168996.gc

Listing guitars according to price there are quite a few metal looking choices for under $200.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-Body---Six-String-Electric-Guitar.gc?o=1&ipp=100

I'll retreat back to my country/rockabilly now. ;)

8. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

Good point, she's in 9th grade, and very tall (like 5'11"). The Yamaha acoustic she is playing is full scale and she is doing well. I would love to buy her something fancy, but this needs to be budget minded. Once she gets to a higher level and shows me she can take care of her equipment, I may gift her one of my MIM or USA Fenders. For now I would prefer to give her one of my Bullet Strat's, Squier '51 or ESP since I already have them, but that LP Jr makes sense to me too. I'll check out thse amps suggested.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  9. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    +1 on the Valvetronix - Vox do an alternate version with high gain models on it, which I think would fit the bill well.

She'll probably appreciate a guitar for its looks more than for its playability - I think it's best to try and find a happy medium between her taste and practicality. From what you've described as her influences, I'd recommend a lower end Ibanez as they make great guitars, with metal sensibilities, to fit any budget.

10. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

Here is the ESP I have that I was considering giving her. Mine is metallic red, it actually plays really good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-Viper-50-Electric-Guitar-542083-i1400098.gc

I was thinking a Strat would be more versitile, I have enough stuff to build a hot-rod Strat, single HB or HB/S/S type deal. With better tuners and a tru-oil neck finish those Squier Bullets really rip.

11. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

Line 6 Spider is the way to go. I have a line 6 flextone and my brother and some friends have Spiders and they're very good. Spend a bit more than a Squier and get an Ibanez, something from the RG series. It'll probably see more use, you've got to look the part. http://www.fretmusic.co.uk/images/D/GRG250DX_BKF_1P_01.jpg

12. Nash

Nash Tele-Holic

I'd just let her use the ESP, it's a good guitar and I know that when I started all of the switch positions sounded very similar to me so don't worry too much about versatility. I'd go with a Line 6 for the music she plays, the distortion on them is not cheap sounding like just about every other lower end amp and it'll do a good clean sound as well.

13. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

14. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

I followed the link Pixelmover posted, that Line 6 has some really nice features, headphone out and CD/MP3 input. I'll have to head to the store and test drive a couple. Is there a foot pedal available for the Line 6 to switch channels on the fly?

15. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

Thanks Nash, I'm leaning that way. I'm really a Fender guy, but I have to remember they're not the ticket for everyone.

16. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I've not had any good experiences with those Spiders, they have plenty of features but no remotely ueable sounds, IMO.

Play one and see what you think, YMMV.

17. Scott V

Scott V Tele-Holic

Interesting, I definately will test one against the others. I really lean toward Fender and Vox myself, but the tonal range I dig is not really what she's after, I don't even know half the groups she named... I guess I'm a relic!
    I'm thinking some type of SS modeling amp would best best, and the headphone out / CD in deal are features I'd like it to have.
    I wouldn't expect tonal perfection from a $99 amp, but if it can approximate the sounds she hears on the songs she's trying to play it will make her happy. I also want something that's easy to navigate, I want to see her playing not dialing up sounds. I fell prey to this with rack gear, but then again I have no aptitude for electronics, I'm a gear-head.

Thanks for the input guys

18. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does it make sense to have Maddy in on the decision process? Does she have any feel for what guitars are comfortable for her, and what amp tone she's looking for?

19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

how about a jim root signature tele...since he is in slipknot...a pretty heavy band...i think it would cover whats she into...prolly too expensive...but if everyone chips in i bet you could swing it

20. jeremyb

jeremyb Tele-Meister

First off that won't bring the br00talz!! You need an ESP/LTD/Jackson of some description and something like a line6 spider, none of the other little practice amps out there have decent distortion unless you go with a pedal of some description and theres plenty of options for pedals but most sound terrible unfortunately.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.