Thoughts on a ‘65 Vibrolux

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
I just love these. If someone asked me to pick from a Super, a Vibrolux, or a Twin Reverb in order to get on a lifeboat… I’d probably just go down with the ship.

$3200 seems high. Caps, pots, and possibly some questionable work done in the past would all have to be corrected. Knobs original. Nice smash to the face…. would have to stay. Trem circuit clearly needs work as it doesn’t activate until about 30% up. Speakers are original, but would need to hang up on the wall to save. I’d swap out the JJs in the pre- and power sections, too. Need to take another look but IIRC the power and standby switches operate backwards.

What do you think?

1673824915554.jpeg

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Other than the BF aspect, you could buy a nice early Silverface VR that sounds just as good for half the money.

This, right here. The silver panel doesn't seem as cool to most folks, but it's the SDA (Same Damn Amp) with maybe a change of value to a small component or two.

I really miss my black panel VR that I was stupid enough to sell in the 80s, but if I needed another I'd shop for a silver panel at a lower price.

BTW $3,200 is stupid money for that one.

corliss1

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter

Back at it

Tele-Meister
If it was working perfectly, had all the maintenance by a good tech and sounded killer….. maybe

not for the one your looking at unless you are a pure collector that’s not going to play it

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Bought my '79 in a pawnshop for $250 in 11/21. Had to replace dead speakers and had it gone thru by a competent tech, new caps, a new rectifier socket and a pair of new 6L6s. All totaled I'm in about $650. I love the amp, but there's no way I would pay that much. I'm waaaaay too cheap!

dukewellington

Tele-Meister
Prices have been nuts lately, so I always check and see what's available right now:

$3600 - Really clean and has been *seemingly* nicely serviced - https://reverb.com/item/64683675-fender-vibrolux-reverb-1966-model-aa864-serviced-single-owner

$3200 - a bit more beat, but still better than the example in your photos - https://reverb.com/item/59680359-1966-fender-vibrolux-reverb-blackface

So yes, the price seems high for what all it will need and the condition.
We had another (although very clean example) here locally two years ago, which was $3000 firm, and that seemed reasonable. And it sounded the way a black panel Vibrolux should. I agree, it’s a pretty strange price considering all that’s going on with its maintenance issues. I’ve never worked at a GC but I wonder how they price their used merchandise. Perhaps they’re hoping someone will get hooked and trade up something that would sell for closer to the the sticker price of $3k.

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
You can get a much nicer BFVR for the same price or slightly higher with a little searching. I’d definitely pass on this one unless the price drops considerably.

SnidelyWhiplash

Poster Extraordinaire
If it was working perfectly, had all the maintenance by a good tech and sounded killer….. maybe

not for the one your looking at unless you are a pure collector that’s not going to play it

A " pure collector " wouldn't want an amp in that condition. They want clean, almost pristine examples.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Nope. Not super clean, which it should be at that price. You must see the inside also. But really, unless you are a collector, you dont need to spend that much. A clone could be built for probably 1/3 that and may be more reliable if you want the sound. A SF version is nearly the same amp.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There is not enough information. We need to know ALL of the date codes…transformers, speakers, pots, chassis serial number and tube chart stamp.
That said, even if all of the numbers are ‘correct’ the condition makes that asking price prohibitive, imho. If the numbers are not correct, then it WAAAAY over-pricEd…imho.