1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thoughts and questions about a short scale Tele neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by RodeoTex, Jan 17, 2021.

1. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

I've been reading about 24.75" Tele necks here lately but I haven't been able to find one myself.
    A Google search just takes me to the home page of a few manufacturers and a bunch of references here on TDPRI.
    I sent a few emails to those manufacturers with my specs and have gotten no replies.

What would be ideal for me would be a 24.75" scale, all maple, 7.25/9.5" compound radius, soft v neck.

Is there something wrong with what I'm asking for?
    Am I being too picky?

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Too picky?

Hell no :)

Those specs sound great to me.

M2roadwarrior and crazydave911 like this.
  3. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I know for sure that warmoth sells short scale, not sure about the radius.

crazydave911 and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Conversion neck. Warmoth & Musikraft make them.

5. erix

erix Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have three Warmoth conversion necks, all the same standard slim profile. They have a v-shape but not sure they can/will accommodate your custom radius.

I love them, can’t play anything else! I made a conversion neck for my Brotherhood Build based on one of the Warmoth ones. Same length and width but much fatter profile. If you are into making necks I can post a pdf of my neck drawing.

crazydave911 and RodeoTex like this.
  6. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I've taken a real liking to short-scale guitars and found a used Modern Player Short Scale Tele on Reverb that I picked up. It's the first Tele I've had that has a humbucker (which I sort of consider sacrilege). The scale is shorter than you spec: it's 24" (you can read all the specs here).

My understanding is that there were only a limited number made, and they were built in China in 2014. (A review here). The build quality is quite good, despite the review's comments. The neck in particular has a high-gloss, smooth action to it, and I like playing it. I have had some issues with the high e string "slipping" off the neck, but that may be partly the way I've been playing and bending.

Anyway, they are a rarity, given their limited number. I've been considering a Sterling Music Man Cutlass, which is a short-scale Strat body, but as I posted elsewhere, I have to make room before I add any more gear to my "man house." My man cave has spilled out into the living room and is threatening to take over!

(The short scale compared to a "regular" size Tele):

[​IMG]

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

8. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The other guitar player in my band has an Anderson short scale T and he just had them build a short scale Strat. He has smaller hands and he loves the feel.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Both of my Tele-style guitars have Warmoth conversion (24 3/4" scale) necks. Mine are "Fatback", 'cause I love a fat neck. I believe they only come in Warmoth's compound radius (10"-18") but I could be wrong. All I know is they feel GREAT to me.

10. Riff Robin

Riff Robin TDPRI Member

Warmoth or USA Customs will make any spec you want..i did it on a strat. Love a short scale but it did change the sound...you may lose the tele spank with a short neck. Mine was around 450 10 yrs ago...more now i guess. You can do it but it will change your sound.

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Since when is Gibson scale, short scale?

kaludjerko likes this.
  12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

L-5 and Super 400 are 25.5 scale length, right? All Gibsons aren't the same scale.

13. crazydave911

Well no, the majority are 24 5/8, one their so called 24.75. Most Les Paul's, my L6, a host of others. My grandpa's Byrdland was 23.5 so no, not the same at all

14. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Gibson also made some long-scale Les Pauls, with a L-5 length neck.

RodeoTex likes this.
  15. old wrench

I really like your specs, Tex :).

I can also understand the difficulty you're having in finding "your neck".

I gave up on finding "my neck" from the usual sources, especially with the vintage compound radius.

I call it a "vintage compound radius", because a few of the Teles that came out of the old Fender factory had just that radius. Nacho's book documents this.

I've seen the skills you have on a few of your builds, so you'll probably end up doing the same thing I did, roll your own. That's the way to get everything you want in a neck :).

crazydave911 and RodeoTex like this.
  16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, I guess I will probably end up making my own neck but I was going to spoil myself just this one time and let the pros do it for me.

crazydave911 and old wrench like this.
  17. old wrench

I tried doing that too :).

Building a good neck to a specific set of specs is a fair amount of very detailed work.

I was able to get some pretty nice necks, but nothing that covered all of my bases.

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. crazydave911

AMEN!

old wrench likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Warmoth are the ones I've had. Not sure about 7.25/9.5 though. Mine were the Warmoth compound I think... Have you tried MusiKraft? Both makers have the options on their "build a neck" form. Just try that and see what they have.

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Also worth a phone call to Warmoth. I have a magazine article with an interview with Ken Warmoth and he talks about working with customers to meet their requirements and specifications. The article does show a picture of the pendulum belts sander that they use to radius fretboards and what I recall from the discussion is that they can set it to almost any reasonable radius at each end of the board and it does the compounding as it sands.

One of my friends ordered a custom neck from Warmoth - he lives in NZ, had it shipped to me in the States, I assembled his guitar and delivered it to him. Not inexpensive but it was a great neck and had some really interesting features.

crazydave911 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.