Thoughts about coffee

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
We discovered Vietnamese coffee not too long ago - an exceedingly strong brew layered over sweetened condensed milk. Often served cold, like revenge, although I prefer hot.

The contrast of flavors is quite amazing. I usually have a few unmixed spoonsful (spoonfuls? spoonfulli?), then mix it together.

vietnamese-coffee-2.jpg

Last edited:

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I’ve had an interesting relationship with coffee. During the years I worked in an office everyday, I wasn’t a coffee drinker at all. I’d have a coffee on occasion, but not regularly at all. And I lived in Seattle for a lot of those years, when it was coffee central. Then I quit my regular job and started working for myself, my hours got a lot more flexible, I had less objective need for coffee in the morning, but I suddenly got WAAAAAY into espresso. Got a good double boiler machine, found some blends I really liked, and made my wife and I at least a couple espresso drinks every morning, with or without steamed milk. I loved everything about it and became a pretty damn good barista. But over the past 3-4 years I developed a really bad throat clearing problem, way beyond a nuisance and had become a really serious chronic quality of life issue. Working out made it almost unbearably bad. I changed my diet (went largely Keto), lost almost 40 pounds, which helped quite a bit, but quitting coffee made the biggest difference. Now I’ll have a shot of espresso or a milk drink once every month or two. I still love the ritual, still make it for my wife every morning, but I rarely drink it. I loved it and I miss it, but I feel so much better, I’m not going back.

-Ray

Cpb2020

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I started drinking it at the age of 12 as an assistant land surveyor. We pulled up to a coffee shop and, without asking whether I drank coffee, my boss asked “how do you take your coffee?” I said “regular” as I’d heard people say that before.

36 years later, and there have been few days without it. Sometimes it is a ritual. Most a rushed necessity. But always ever-present. I drink it until noon and then switch to water.

I look forward to it becoming a ritual more than a necessity, when I’m not rushed to prepare a pot.

jkingma

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a coffee lover and usually have 3 to 5 cups each day before noon. I seldom drink it after lunch.

At home we have one of those one cup brewers that grinds the beans for each cup and spits out a coffee or espresso or cappuccino, depending which button you press.

Here at the cottage we do it the old fashioned way and add a little something to it.

20211127_071022_resized.jpg

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
No coffee, no workee
It’s just that simple
I wake up first and make coffee. When I hear my wife moving around I get a cup ready for her with her favorite hazelnut creamer She drinks almost half of it and I’m on my second cup. She goes off to telecommute and I bring her reheated coffee to her.. I make breakfast and have my next cup of coffee and once again warm up a third of a cup she has left.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
I like coffee, coffee is good. I started drinking coffee when I was 4 yrs old, by my teens I was drinking it black.
I'm 6' 3" so don't think it stunts your growth. I am drinking coffee right now.

No problem with coffee, though sometimes after the first couple of songs someone in the band will ask how much coffee I've had:rolleyes:

Coffee is good!!

tubedude

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have been drinking coffee every single morning since the middle of the first Gulf War.
So I reckon that's 30 steady years of that morning ritual.

We kept a yukon stove going in the tent or lean-to, and early in the morning our Maintenance Officer would get a pot going.
When times were good, we had a tent and a Kubota generator.
At the least, we would heat water in canteen cups on the stove, go out and do a good 'stand-to' ground run on the helicopters, and then come back in and mix MRE freeze-dried coffee into the hot water.

Fond memories of sitting around the fire with my buddies, drinking coffee, and munching MRE oatmeal cookie bars.
They were like compressed sawdust, flavored vaguely like oatmeal.

Most people hated them.
I actually like 'em.
With the coffee.

:oops:

View attachment 923474 View attachment 923475
Rather have my C-ration B2 unit. Crackers with the 2 chocolate disks in the bottom. (different war)

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
We discovered Vietnamese coffee not too long ago - an exceedingly strong brew layered over sweetened condensed milk. Often served cold, like revenge, although I prefer hot.

The contrast of flavors is quite amazing. I usually have a few unmixed spoonsful (spoonfuls? spoonfulli?), then mix it together.

vietnamese-coffee-2.jpg
That was popular in Singapore when I lived there in 2000. They called it "local coffee" from memory as opposed to Starbucks etc. It cost about 10 percent of what a Starbucks coffee did, and tasted waaaay better

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I was on a Greek freighter once and the captain gave me a demitasse. I thought it was the coffee type but I guess the cup name.

Sparky2

Friend of Leo's
Rather have my C-ration B2 unit. Crackers with the 2 chocolate disks in the bottom. (different war)

Yessir.
Very different war altogether.

I was an Army brat in the 1960's and '70's, so I had plenty of C Rations as a kid.
And when I joined the Army, we had C Rats for my first few years in the field.

After 1983 or so, it was nothing but MRE's out in the wild.
T Rations on some rare occasions, I reckon.

I found those crackers and chocolate discs to be tough to swallow.
The crackers were stiff and dry, and the chocolate was a bit waxy.

The fun thing to do was to take one of the small cans of jelly or peanut butter, place it in the C Ration box on the ground, and then light the box on fire.
The box would go up in flames, the tiny can would heat up quickly in that fiery little oven, and after a few seconds of a tick-tick-ticking sound, it would explode.
Just like a sweet smelling little hand grenade.

Good times.
;)

c rats.GIF

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
if you ever have the absolute distinct pleasure to meet my mother and in her most elequint scottish accent she says to you " Would you like a a lovely cup of coffee?" run like hell, dont stop and dont look back, for gawd sake never say yes, , I watched my wife who did get up off the couch and chase my mother's cat " Sushi" around the appartment for 45 minutes before sitting down and vibrating for the next hour afterwards, I cant tell you the number of times I fell for that , I never learned ,and fell for it every time.:lol::lol::lol:

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I just started to drink coffee again

For the longest time it made me nauseous/didn’t agree with me, it seems to be okay for now though

For the most part I can take it or leave it

Does indeed help with mental acuity though

A lot of the coffees from Central America have low acidic content. I go through periods where I have the same issues you have listed and I’m usually ok with those.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I just finished my first cup. Now I can write. Morning coffee is dark roast filter coffee, Guatamala Antigua today. I ordered five lbs of Maui Red Rooster on Monday which should be delivered today. I negotiated a reduction in my coffee ration with my cardiologist. One large cup in the morning and one cappuccino when I practice. I use Illy Intenso espresso. It’s crazy expensive in the states but it’s supermarket coffee in Italy. The flavor, quality, and consistency of the product is unmatched. No press coffee for me because it has the highest caffeine extraction of any brewing method. An occasional cappuccino during the day is OK 6 hours after my morning coffee. I don’t drink Starbucks cappuccino. It’s too inconsistent. One Whole Foods coffee bar near me gets it right. Peet’s, west of the Rockies, also does well. If Starbucks is the only option, I order a triple tall latte. The proportions are closest to an Australian flat white and harder for a barista in a rush to mess up. Restaurant cappuccino is mostly awful. More often than not, it goes back leaving nothing to finish a meal. Restaurant desserts are too sweet for me.

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thoughts? "I think I'll have another cup".

Plain old thick black Folgers like Mama Navy used to make...the first cup in the AM gets a spoon of coconut oil to give it that "planeguard station" sheen on top. Yum!

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I always loved the smell of coffee...but as a kid, the taste was terrible. Of course, Mom bought it at the commissary and preferred those bare metal cans stenciled "USN"...

As a kid, I much preferred hot tea (if I wanted a hot beverage), generally Oolong.

When I was xferred to an offshore rig (heli mech), peer pressure got me started drinking coffee. Black, no additives...probably because it made me feel tougher...eventually I actually grew to like it.

When I started working in an office, I started really drinking. Usually a quart before lunch. Sometimes a cup after a good dinner.

Now, in retirement, I'm down to one 14oz mug in the morning (two occasionally). If I have a hot cup in the evening, it is usually tea...with a shot of scotch.

I'm a big guy, it takes a vast amount of caffeine to affect my system. It doesn't wake me up, the routine does...and a mug before bed is sometimes welcome.

I prefer African and Indonesian coffees. Ethiopian and Sumatran. Dark roasts.