Thoughts about coffee

Tele-friend

Tele-Holic
I love coffee. Me and my wife drink it together every morning. It is not just about coffeine that starts you up after you wake up, it is more of a ritual for my wife and me - we take some time off for reading a book or a magazine, talking or checking what is up on internet. The girls are still sleeping usually, so it is quiet and peaceful in the appartment :)

We also drink coffee after lunch, especially if we are together with our larger family (with parents, with my sisters family...). Usually there are also some sweets on the table like cookies, biscuit, chocolate etc. ;)

So what I am trying to say is that I love coffee not just because it 'wakes up your body' in a physical way, but also mentally. It is also the social thing of bringing people together.

The Turkish saying is that coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweat as love. And it was actually the Turks who brought the ritual of drinking coffee from Arabs to Europe back in 16th century.

We prepare it the old school way. We take the grinded coffee (in powder) and add it to the boiling water in a pot called 'cezve' - link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezve
You boil it for about 15 sec and then wait for it to cool down and that the powder sinks to the bottom of the pot. You can add a bit sugar and maybe cinnamon plus milk and voila, it is ready.

Here is todays photo.
Enjoy your wonderful coffee folks!

20211127_085637.jpg

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have had greek coffee , it was spectacular and strong ( similar to turkish Coffee) I make expresso about 4 scoops to 1 cup and enough cafiene to hold your eyelids open for a week , but thats for special occasions, in the AM i use a french press , 2 cups just for me.

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't drink nearly as much as I would like. I suffer from insomnia. 4:29 am and I haven't slept yet. It isn't unusual for me to go three days without sleep. Coffee makes me jittery when I'm exhausted and I'm usually just hoping for a nap.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I just started to drink coffee again

For the longest time it made me nauseous/didn’t agree with me, it seems to be okay for now though

For the most part I can take it or leave it

Does indeed help with mental acuity though

Nick Fanis

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
prepare it the old school way. We take the grinded coffee (in powder) and add it to the boiling water in a pot called 'cezve' - link https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezve
You boil it for about 15 sec and then wait for it to cool down and that the powder sinks to the bottom of the pot. You can add a bit sugar and maybe cinnamon plus milk and voila, it is ready.

That's the way we do it in Greece (and no ...milk is strictly forbidden and unheard off :) )

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I agree with the OP that it is partly about the ritual, then taking a break, stopping for a few minutes.

Back when I worked in an office it was also a social thing. Either having a "meeting" in our office cafe or just hanging out in the kitchen with a few colleagues. Real mental health bonuses.

I haven't been to my office since the pandemic started. The company has shrunk its office space by 70% and now says we are basically all home workers.

I no longer feel any loyalty now that they don't want us back. And those kitchen meetings were informal comms gold.

I wonder if it will ever realise what it has lost.

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I haven't been to my office since the pandemic started. The company has shrunk its office space by 70% and now says we are basically all home workers.

You'll be back at the office soon. They just have to get up to speed with the Metaverse ..... soon now.
.... and, you can have the office with the best view.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's

Sr4815

TDPRI Member
I agree with the OP that it is partly about the ritual, then taking a break, stopping for a few minutes.

Back when I worked in an office it was also a social thing. Either having a "meeting" in our office cafe or just hanging out in the kitchen with a few colleagues. Real mental health bonuses.

I no longer feel any loyalty now that they don't want us back. And those kitchen meetings were informal comms gold.

I wonder if it will ever realise what it has lost.
Totally agree with this. I've been at the same place for like 30 years and before the pandemic I was very invested in it. I've lost a lot of that. As for the coffee, strong and black for me!

Sparky2

Friend of Leo's
I have been drinking coffee every single morning since the middle of the first Gulf War.
So I reckon that's 30 steady years of that morning ritual.

We kept a yukon stove going in the tent or lean-to, and early in the morning our Maintenance Officer would get a pot going.
When times were good, we had a tent and a Kubota generator.
At the least, we would heat water in canteen cups on the stove, go out and do a good 'stand-to' ground run on the helicopters, and then come back in and mix MRE freeze-dried coffee into the hot water.

Fond memories of sitting around the fire with my buddies, drinking coffee, and munching MRE oatmeal cookie bars.
They were like compressed sawdust, flavored vaguely like oatmeal.

Most people hated them.
I actually like 'em.
With the coffee.

:oops:

oatmeal cookie bar.GIF
oatmeal cookie bar 2.GIF

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
I pretty much only drink iced coffee. Even in the dead of winter. Don’t like waiting, don’t like burning my tongue, and I think iced/cold brew tastes better personally.

Bonus points for espresso. Otherwise, I just like it black with some sort of sweet pastry or waffles with syrup.

My morning feels empty without it!