Thoughts about a stereo pickup setups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

I'm thinking about experimenting with splitting a pickup (or two) into two outputs, to run in true stereo.

Disclaimer: This is a just for fun experiment. Not really trying to translate it directly to a live setup, unless it just happens to work out and sounds good.

Also, I'm a stereo freak. I love stereo setups for clean tones.

I've seen/heard clips of single coils with half of the pole pieces removed... and a corresponding single coil with the opposite pole pieces removed. The sound clips are cool. Very wide as you would expect.

I'm not expecting to change the world... but just like most of us, I've got more parts laying around that I know what to do with.. so I just thought I'd experiment.

Just some random dude's partscaster on Google Images:

DSC00401.JPG

Can be done with a 4 conductor humbucker too:

DSC_0009.jpg

CFFF likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In this configuration the low strings are going to sound a bit mellower since they are picking up the vibrations further
    from the bridge. The high strings GBE are going to sound brighter. This is before splitting the signal to two different
    outputs. You could do it the other way-- remove ice pick from high strings by moving their pickup spot further towards the
    neck,and keep the low strings' pickup point near the traditional bridge pickup spot.

For the life of me I can't see how splitting the sound in this manner to left and right would improve the sound in any way.
    Imagine I'm a singer. Do I sound better/more interesting if I sing my higher register notes out of one speaker, and my lower
    register notes out of the other?

I can only think of maybe one possible application for guitar that makes sense. It might make sense to run some strings through
    an effect, such as a fuzz pedal, while not running the other three strings through it. So don't split left/right, but run let's say the
    GBE through a fuzz while leaving the DAE clean.

3. TheGoodTexan

A single vocalist doesn’t sing entire chords all at once.

A better analogy would be a choir.... with basses and tenors arranged in one area, and altos and sopranos arranged in a different area... which is actually what choir directors do.
    The coolest sounding choir I ever heard was in a church with half the choir in one balcony, and the other half of the choir in the opposite balcony... with the audience sitting on the main floor in between the balconies.

CFFF likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

Also, I’m not really interested in running much in the way of a stereo effect with this idea. Maybe add a bit of reverb or something.

Check this out.

CFFF and FenderLover like this.
  5. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

That sounds cool.
    Maybe look at how Gibson envisioned it with their stereo ES models and stereo amplifiers they were designed to work with. Nothing special, really. More of a bridge left neck right kinda thing. I like the dude above better.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

Yeah, and experimenting with removing and replacing pole pieces on single coils is a very easy thing to do. And a stereo volume pot is easy enough.

I think I'll start out with two single coils in either the neck position, or the bridge position, positioned like a humbucker... but then experiment with removing different pole pieces and see what sounds the best to me.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Go for it !!! Great inventors tried alot... And failed . . and kept trying ...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

I a Godin XTSA which has 3 input jacks 1/4" for the mags. 1/4" for the piezo and the 13 pin for the guitar synth processor. I 've ran out to 3 different amps a few times. Pretty cool but 3 cords hanging off your guitar is a bit awkward.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  9. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I wired my avatar guitar with a stereo jack. The magnetic pickups are on one side and it has 2 piezo wired in parallel under the bridge area on the other side. I used to use a stereo cord with Y connector on the end running piezo's to the LO side of my tube amp and the pickups on the HI side.

It works well. I want to use a rod piezo instead and add a preamp for it, but I want to put the preamp on my pedal board instead of carving up my guitar further.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.