1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Thought you SX owners would get a kick out of this

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 1977CJ5, Oct 15, 2010.

1. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

I took a walk through Music Go Rnd in Lilburn Ga today. They usually have pretty decent prices, nothing great but fair, and sometimes some real deals if they don't know what they have.

However, I was shocked today to see a used SX Strat that was priced at $399.00. Now it was really nice, great flame on the neck (yes stock neck), and mother of pearl dots. But, am I crazy, has SX ever made a Strat that even sells for close to $399? If so, I apologize. Otherwise I feel for the person who buys this and then figures out they could have got a new one for under $200.00. Also, I'll bet the person who traded or sold it is still laughing.

Here is a link to the guitar...

http://www.musicgoroundlilburn.com/detail.aspx?id=993940

2. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I don't know what they sell for but SX does sometimes offer an Ash bodied Strat with a flame neck and it comes with a fancy pink satin lined case (think Gibby case). These are a step up from the $120 SX Strat (I guess).

$300, no thanks, you can get MIM Fenders for that price, even a MIM Nashville.

3. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Well that may explain it, but I'll still bet they did not sell for $399.00. Maybe someone who knows SX's will chime in.

4. BillyC

BillyC Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure they sold for $120.00

5. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

A $399 SX? That's kooky talk. I paid $79.99 new for mine, then spent about $120 on mods.

6. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

7. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Look at the MGR listing again. It's vintage. It must have appreciated.

8. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Unless that thing has a bunch of expensive mods, I believe somebody's trying to hook a sucker. (Or just hook someone who's not familiar with SX guitars and their prices and figures $400 is a reasonable price for a pretty Strat.)

Side note: I lived in Lilburn, GA for a few years when I was a kid, age 9 to almost 12. I went to Camp Creek Elementary, and my older brother played soccer with the Parkview Panthers.

9. 1977CJ5

1977CJ5 Tele-Afflicted

Lilburn is a nice little city!

No mods. The guitar is stock, with no mentions of mods. I don't think MGR is trying to hook anyone. I think they got hooked. I've sold and traded them enough stuff to know that they usually ask double what they pay for items. So they probably gave someone $200.00. That person is probably still smiling.

10. longbow

longbow Tele-Holic

No way is it worth that much. I just paid a couple of months ago 79 bucks plus shipping for a tobacco burst strat. BEST bang for the buck money I have spent on an axe. Haven't changed anything on it either cept for the strings it is that nice. To me it is worth way more than what I paid irregardless of brand name. Maybe I'll mod it eventually but probably not. But the price above seems way steep to me. thanks

11. B Valley

B Valley Tele-Afflicted

I've seen them on ebay going for more then you'd pay from Rondo. Some folks see the 'Vintage Series Custom hand-made' and take it literally. I've said it before. the SX guitars will be the Tokais of the future. Buy a couple and stash them away.

12. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

I might have to make a trip down there just to see what what a $400 SX looks like!

13. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Someone should click the contact us link and send him the rondo link....he may not know and gotten taken himself......if he keeps up the price, then someone should ask if that's the rep that his store wants to build up?

14. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Maybe, but the thing about the Tokai era was there was not this mass of great import guitars you have now. Sure the Japanese have always made decent guitars (I love my MIJ squier) but now China is getting up to speed and making them by the boat load.

I think the Squier CV series might be somewhat collectable down the road but the SX, not so much. Just my thoughts.

15. smitty54017

smitty54017 Tele-Holic

I was in one of their MN stores this spring and saw what they were claiming was a MIM Tele for $399. Upon inspection, the body was rough as if it hadn't been sanded. The finish was a stain which was running in several places. Looked like a partscaster...a VERY poor one. I guess it's buyer beware.

16. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

Does Music Go Round ever do consignment sales? The $399 might be the asking price the owner insists on, rather than a price MGR thinks is realistic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.