Thought my amp blew a gasket... Funny story

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Wait till you have the whole band waiting on you to start and you can't get any sound out of your amp. Then you remember you had made a couple of pedal board modifications, so you are checking those connections apologizing while everyone else is standing around. Then you decide it must be the cable between the pedal board and the amp, so you grab a new one out of your bag and replace it and still no sound. You keep strumming and nothing is coming out out of the amp and you are getting more and more frustrated. And then... after five minutes of anguish the bassist walks over and stands in front of you looking at you with pity in his eyes. He reaches down to the side of your guitar and takes the end of the guitar cable that is flopping around the strap button, and plugs it into your guitar which all of the sudden comes to life. Then without a word he turns around and goes back to his station.

nojazzhere, Axegrinder77 and wtk0315 like this.
  2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I just have to observe that from my perspective it seems that the player’s foot had to be on that way pedal when the sound changed, did it not? In this aural endeavor, should that not have been an immediate clue?

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

You'd think so. And i'm not denying any user error here!

The previous song includes wah, of course. There's a nasty riff with toe down wah to get it to cut.

Wally likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I used to arrive at the gig, be ready to go. Guitar tuned, but didn't really make any noise prior to starting the first set. Sidetracked, food to eat etc. . Then we get up there and NADA! No sound at all . Grr.... A couple times I spent minutes trying to find the problem...... Plug guitar direct into amp: Fine! Once I just played the first set that way.

THE PROBLEM: "Always on" OD volume knob had gotten turned to 0 ! :eek:

Now days I have a switcher and can find an issue in seconds...

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I use a GT-100 for everything now, but I've learned not to use the expression pedal switch to turn anything on/off. Effects on/off functions are always routed to another foot switch. I only use the expression pedal switch for tremolo/leslie/phaser speed changes, because it doesn't matter if I accidentally hit it, and I know right away when I do.

6. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My buddy did that not long ago, his amp sounded very thin and tinny, I said check your wah, and it was on.
    I've done the other way too, where the amp sounded bassy, again the wah was on.

7. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

On a similar vein ...

After several months of exclusive archtop activity I picked up a Strat. Nothing. Dead. Not a peep from the amp. I was utterly flummoxed...

In desperation I called my mate with whom I regularly performed to seek his expert advice. Together we brainstormed and analyzed...all to no avail...

...until his spouse voiced her expert and extremely sound suggestion....

"Have you tried the volume knob? The one on the guitar?"

Oh.

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  8. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

We were playing a local gig years ago and I had just bought a EH Small Stone and my guitar was going thru' the PA so when I switched it on for "Are You Sure Hank Did It This Way"I forgot to switch it off so we did the rest of that set with my guitar being on phaser. A friend of mine who also had a country band at that time came up during our break and said "Nice phaser sound Al but its a shame it doesn't have an off switch."......Duh.. S:rolleyes::rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.