1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Those Who Own More than One Question...

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Tele-beeb, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I read and observe there can be a way bigger difference in neck size/shape and body/control layout, etc... among bass guitars.
    Wondering, as I ponder my next bass:
    do bass players choose instruments with similar overall layouts? Like... do P-bass players choose necks and controls like a P-bass for familiarity?

erratick likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

bass player for 30+

have P, J & active Ibby. I am covered. SVT live rig & Ampeg pf50t/svt210 studio rig. all i need

since the guitar switch 5 years ago,,the amount of guitar gear here is staggering... it never ends.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Nope- not always, but some may be more comfortable with a certain kind of neck- i.e. a P bass with a jazz neck or vice-versa.
    I’ve got the 68 Tele bass- (chunky neck- just feels “right”) also have a Jazz, an EB-3 and an Ibanez Talman p/j with actiVe EQ. All necks and layouts a bit different- no biggie- Gives me some options.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I have tried nearly everything but now have learned what I really like and stick with four main electric basses which are in pairs: a fretted and fretless six string with rounds, and a fretted and fretless four with flats. I do prefer that the fretless are similar to the fretted so the muscle memory is the same: one less thing to worry about when switching.

68Telebass and Tele-beeb like this.
  5. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

For me the answer is I do like a relatively similar layout and neck feel. Not exact but familiar enough that I can plug in play without stopping to figure something out.

68Telebass, Tele-beeb and erratick like this.
  6. erratick

erratick Tele-Holic

I started on P-bass copy with a rosewood board and a 1.65 nut. Sold it, got the avatar picture bass- same 1.65 neck- slimmer profile. Then tried a Rickenbacker, and a NS-2. Didn't buy either because I was a starvin student. Fast forward- Got a Fender jazz bass as a backup. Loved the maple board and 1.5in nut with slim neck.

I prefer the jazz neck- but can get around on the others. So I made a P bass with a Jazz Neck. Picked up a Squier jazz as a backup for the Fender. So now it is basically a P/j with flats, P with rounds and a jazz neck, J with rounds, J with flats. Both Jazz basses are maple necked, both P have rosewood. Then a 5 string just for 5 stringy-ness.

So... yeah. I don't know. I do prefer similar neck feel. I don't play the 5 string very often partially because string spacing/nut width is not as comfortable.

But each bass has a different sound (not drastic, but different)- mostly because of the strings. I may have a bass problem. If I had to cut down to one- the Fender Jazz. If it was two it would probably be the P with a Jazz neck in addition to the Fender Jazz.

68Telebass and Tele-beeb like this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m lucky!
    I have two basses, a PRS SE (import) Kestrel, which is J bass-like, but neck-through, and a 95 P bass, with narrower J-bass type nut width.
    They sound dis-similar, in a good way, but both have the narrower nut width.
    Both have dead quiet, hum free pickups.
    Perfect, for me!

Tele-beeb, 68Telebass and Bassman8 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.