Those weird, one-hit wonders...

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
MI used to come down and play Champaign/Urbana. Saw them many times. Yeah, that song isn't a fav, but I like everything on"International Pop Overthrow". Jim Ellison always brought it, live.

When to school at UofI during that time. If I remember, we were walking past a huge frat party one night and heard a band playing a killer version of Valerie Loves Me. We crashed the party and the band was, in fact, the real deal MI! Seems crazy but you could make more money playing a frat party than you could playing most clubs.

beyer160

Friend of Leo's
Early rap music sucked. Glad it moved on from this frightful crash.

Fun fact- "C.W. McCall" was actually a character in a bread commercial voiced by an ad man named Bill Fries. He and co-writer Chip Davis (later the leader of Mannheim Steamroller) decided to write actual songs for the character, which Fries then assumed the role of (McCall had been played by an actor in the commercials).

edvard

Friend of Leo's
These have been mentioned in other threads, and they both bring me back to those carefree days of highschool, and me trying to walk the fine line between valedictorian and degenerate.

They were all over the local radio for about 6 months, maybe a year after being released, never heard a peep of either of these after 1986 or so.

scooteraz

Friend of Leo's
Zager and EVans, “In the Year 2525”

It was #1 the first year that I had a driver’s license. Tooling around in my 1964 Corsair Monza (not mine, but this is the car and color)

11967374-1964-chevrolet-corvair-monza-std.jpg

with my buds. I could drive 10 miles into town from the farm area where I lived (as opposed to riding my bike, or being taken by parents). I loved that little car. It was a first taste of adulthood and personal freedom. Seemed like the song was on the only radio station any of us listened to, WLS 1190 Chicago.

The song went from #5 to #1 on week of Independence Day. It was above Three Dog Night’s “One” and CCR’s “Bad Moon Rising”. It stayed at number 1 for a couple of weeks and was on the chart all summer IIRC. Then, Z&E went into total obscurity.