Those "right tool" moments.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, May 8, 2021.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

In trying to get what were my dad's classic heavy duty steel shop cabinets and work bench from my mother's house to mine..... I grew up with a farm and two scrap yards but that's long gone. In a way it meant I always had access to the right tool. After decades I stopped buying use it 1-2 times tool purchases.

Well, I need to reverse the way a ball is in a hitch receiver to rent a 2 axle trailer and nothing I'm coming up with is breaking what some time, corrosion and the lock washer have done. I neither want to buy a new receiver and ball nor huge wrench and bar.

Here's hoping stopping by a trailer repair place today will not mean scrap and buying new.

I put this move the industrial steel and wood stuff off for years but now have strong 17 year old twin boys to help. It's probably overkill but everyone seems to appreciate these items. After 16 years in this house I'll have really nice shop corner. Someday one of my kids will be 3rd generation to have some "don't make it like that anymore" stuff.

Many here have to know how this stuff goes. If/when we get these heavy beasts in my otherwise nicely finished basement I'm sure there will be some electrical and lighting actions next or next winter.

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Ime *heat* would be one of the right tools for that hitch receiver. Sometimes a rusted bolt can be persuaded with a blow from a hammer like object.

I once watched a *Judge Judy* episode. The plaintiff was asking for *sentimental value* in addition to actual value of tools stolen. The tools were handed down from his father. Judge Judy scoffed saying tools do not have sentimental value. They are just tools. She declined his request. That episode never sat well with me. I enjoy working with my fathers tools. It brings back great memories every time I use them.

I hope you and your sons enjoy the new workspace!

Wallo Tweed, televillian and imwjl like this.
  3. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Heat is your friend. Nothing too extreme. A regular blowtorch should do it. My guess is that rust is in the threads and it has a volume much greater than the steel it was made from, so there are huge compressive forces at work. Enough heat will ease the forces and may even allow easy loosening after completely cooled.

A buddy of mine who is into eastern philosophy feels that stealing tools is bad karma. I just know that I wouldn't part with some of the wrenches I watched my dad use to restore a Model A in the early 60's.

Refugee likes this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

i have a benzomatic hooked to a camping bottle of propane. I have not needed to bust out the big dog since I got it. It is one of my favorite things.

Sometimes penetrating oil works too.. or penetrating oil THEN the torch and it smells like I'm working at my grandpas place as a kid... love nostalgic smells!

SuprHtr and buster poser like this.
  5. PhoenixBill

PhoenixBill Tele-Meister

Yep I would hit it with a dose of penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Aerokroil. Let it soak overnight. Then heat it with the torch.

Or just grab a pipe wrench (with a piece of pipe for extra leverage on the handle) for the ball end and a socket with a 1/2” breaker bar on the nut, again with a piece of pipe to gain extra leverage on the handle. Or a big box end wrench, also using something as a cheater to gain more leverage.

If you were in Phoenix, I would say to drop by and I would fix you up.

getbent, imwjl and buster poser like this.
  6. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1 on heat & penetrating oil. Plenty of leverage especially if you can jack against the lever

imwjl and buster poser like this.
  7. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

imwjl and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm sure it will be worth the time, money, and effort once you get it all moved! I hope it goes more easily than it has thus far.

imwjl likes this.
  9. Refugee

Refugee Tele-Meister

Hmm, I wonder where you can find one of those around here?

imwjl likes this.
  10. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

They will be able to flip it for you. A 1/2" pneumatic impact gun and large socket will take that apart in a Noo Yawk minute.

Take a dozen hamburgers or two dozen donuts as a peace offering and they'll probably send you on your way no charge.

imwjl likes this.
  11. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The corrosion/flip problem is my doing - using something made of steel that was used year-round where they salt roads.

My now gone 4x4 had a very high receiver so it was flipped down. The SE version of a Sienna is inch lower springs and has low profile tires so I need the ball higher.

There are enough DIY types here who should appreciate what I went through to get a minivan hitch that's not ugly. I felt it was needed with the lowered SE version.

[​IMG]

12. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

I would stick with penetrating fluid it doesn't look like a great place for heat unless you've got a piece of scrap steel big enough to keep from catching your "toy" on fire.

Be Careful,
    OD2

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Pneumatic impact wrench is the correct way. About 5 seconds.

getbent likes this.
  14. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

"Judge Judy is a reactionary barbarian." The plaintiff

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
  15. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

Sometimes the windy gun ( air wrench ) is a bit brutal ( should be ok on a tow hitch though ) I like to do things by hand, penetrating oil (plusgas),heat, wire brush,breaker bar with a length of scaffolding pole on it and gentle, ascending to heavy pressure, try tightening it a bit to break the seize, before loosening it.

Old tools are the best ( I sound like my grandad - but I still have and use his tools! )

16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Heck yes they are!

[​IMG]

SuprHtr and Hamstein like this.
  17. Hamstein

Hamstein Tele-Meister

Ha, I've got one just like that!:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.