Thoroughly modern dinosaur - hurry and get one while you can.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, May 30, 2020.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up one of the last Golf Alltracks in my region just as inventory's disappearing and before the truly good incentives end.

Thoroughly modern dinosaur because 1) VW killed this in favor of the CarUV 2) manual transmission available with a turbo engine 3) has or can have AEB, lane safety, adaptive cruise, premium wheel/tire/lights, and Apple or Android dash.

We checked out a lot of vehicles. It was hard to believe these were so outsold by the CarUVs, their own Tiguan, and that Buick's German made wagon didn't make it. Something to know about these is Golf platform is mod-friendly beyond most modern vehicles. They make Golf R wagon for other markets, Many GTI parts and mods work with these.

Another nice feature is my wife LOVES it. That means I can use her lowered w/sports bits Sienna SE.

This is dealer back lot pic with the shipping plastic still on but the paint's white too. I don't know if June 1 will kill the incentives because they're disappearing fast.

[​IMG]

Stubee and Scheckenbacker like this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Very cool. I have liked the Golf from day 1. Congrats!

imwjl likes this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Confession: I don't know your age but even when I was into Jeeps and USA V8s, I liked early GTI models. During a college summer job I enjoyed driving someone's Mk2 GTI and the Rabbit Pickup. Then my wife borrowed her mom's Mk3 when my Mustang GT went nowhere in snow.

Confession2: There were 4 new old stock 2019 GTI in about a 150 mi circle that had same incentives and longer warranty. My wife and kids loved the GTIs. Reality is knowing what 45 series tires and not having AWD would be in my life. I actually use wagon cartage space often. Thus, I'm eying all the mods available but right away I have a noticeable jump in pep over my Outback.

I figured @otterhound and @boris bubbanov would be pleased with the stick shift but I'm not sure they're fans of anything not Ford, Saab or Honda. Saab's a different story but I do wonder when or if cars will be more popular again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.