This year's deer hunt(s)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Nov 4, 2019.

1. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

That would be a cool mount.

Shuster likes this.
  2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

He saved the deer that was alive from a prolonged and painful death. Glad he came across them.

Shuster likes this.
  3. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Here in Indiana we have had overpopulation problems and the laws really favor hunting does.
    I'm fine with that.
    I hunt to fill the freezer, not to hang stuff on the wall. Although I usually will save the antlers if they're nice, it's not the reason I hunt and I'd be happier getting two does than a trophy buck.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I went to Iowa City, Iowa to buy a used Ruger New Blackhawk in .357 Magnum yesterday. On the way back there was a trophy buck standing on the side of I-380 in Des Moines waiting for a chance to cross. It was cool to see him but I wonder if he got hit after I passed him?

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I notice that most of the shows on the outdoor channels feature guys going after trophy bucks. Only a few shows have the star going after a doe to harvest for meat. We have guys coming to the area I hunt who pay over a grand every year to try to get a buck.

6. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

A cool thing (or maybe a "scary thing") about the hunt the other day was that it got dark after I shot the deer. I was field dressing it and thought I saw someone by my truck up on the road so I went to check on it. It was an uphill hike and by the time I got back it was pretty dark. I got back to work and some coyotes started howling to my rear right and more answered it from my left. I was on the edge of some wooded ravines and alone. They were real close so I hurried up and got outta there!

I think I'm gonna try hunting at first light next time. :D

7. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I can kinda relate to how some people don't like the idea of hunting. Growing up noone in my family hunted. I knew nothing about rifles, pistols or shotguns. I messed around with a bb gun when I was in grade school but that was about it. My Dad was too busy busting his butt trying to raise our family and taking care of everything. He didn't have the time or money for hunting due to the demands on him. I now understand this and think he was the best Dad I could've had. We moved to another house in the inner city so hunting or having a gun was out of the question. I didn't shoot a real gun until I went into the Army.
    I wanted to bowhunt at the end of my hitch but never got around to it. I didn't like the way you had to hunt back east when I lived and worked there but when I retired and moved back to the Midwest I wanted to really get into it. Which is what I'm doing now.

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

IM002699.JPG Here's a pic of the revolver I bought this week. It's the one with the longer barrel. I'm going to sell the other one.
    Question: Can I sell it on the Buy/Sell forum in the TDPRI?

stormsedge and Bellacaster like this.
  9. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Lefty is showing what happens when you react to stereotypes instead of actual people.
    The hunters in my acquaintance are far over to the responsible end of the spectrum. Especially when compared to your average musician ;-)

10. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I suppose if you're a vegetarian you can be self-righteous and superior about people who eat meat and at least still have logical consistency.

But if you eat meat, and you somehow think that it's morally superior to pay someone at slaughterhouse to kill your meat for you, as opposed to going out into the woods and doing it yourself, you really don't have a leg to stand on.

It's clear you don't know anything about hunting or hunters.

duzie, Wallo Tweed and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Can I say vegan? I'm not one, I just like beating them to the punch before they can say it. (It ain't easy)

12. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

"He was an abused child"

13. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Hey, what about the part where you're supposed to "treat everyone with respect"?

14. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Here s one. That s not several instances, but one is too much already.

Charente-Maritime : Un cueilleur de champignons tué par un chasseur qui l’avait confondu avec du gibier.

it says a guy picking mushrooms was shot by a hunter who thought he was game.

15. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

That's not even close to what I asked for, but don't sweat it. I knew there was no way you could back up such a ludicrous statement. It irks me when I see somebody trying to make it sound like hunters mistakenly kill people all the time, especially when I'm sure what they're saying is not true.

16. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

https://www.20minutes.fr/faits_dive...leur-champignons-tue-chasseur-confondu-gibier

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/arti...s-de-chasse-en-augmentation_5475876_3244.html

What i meant is be careful out there. You can't say there are no hunting accidents. It happens. Just be careful. Happy safe hunting out there.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    uriah1 likes this.
  17. FLHT

FLHT Tele-Meister

Thanks for the sound advice. I'll let it go now. Cheers.

johnny k likes this.
  18. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Just got back from deer camp. Struck out. Two out of six of us got deer. Last year six of ten got one. I spent over twenty hours in three different spots in the woods and only saw one very small deer as it went over a ridge. The last day as I headed in, I noticed that there were fresh track about twenty yards behind my blind and another hunter said that there was a buck pretty much where my blind was as he was heading in. I'll be traveling the next two weekends, so my deer season is over. I'm bummed, but that's how it goes. Had a great time catching up with folks and eating and drinking well. Good luck to everyone going out this year!

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

20. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.