This year's deer hunt(s)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Nov 4, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Hopefully noone trolls this thread. Hunting is an All-American tradition. Back to the roots.

2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Chet again,
    I'm aware of reduced recoil ammunition and have bought Hornadys version when my oldest stepped up to the .270.

The youngest has shot his and.308 and
    done well.
    Very pleasant shooting rifle.
    It comes from the factory with a wonderful recoil pad.

I hunt with either my 1948 M-70 in
    .30 Govt 06 or my '56 Savage 99 in .308.
    Both those rifles have noticeably more recoil. Steel butt plates have something to do with it, I'm sure!!!

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  3. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Our gun season comes in this Saturday. I'll be heading down to my camp tomorrow, got some clean up work to do before the opener. Did not get to bowhunt much this season so I'll probably take my bow with me and hunt some before the guns start popping Saturday morning. I don't hunt as hard as I used to, I've taken my share over the ears and besides, I'm real selective about what I'll take a shot at. But in the event a shot arises I'm ready. Took the guns I hunt with the most to the range a couple of weeks ago to make sure they're still shooting where they're supposed to. My M700 Remington in .270 Win. is right on as is the Ruger .44 pistol I like to use.

4. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

My rattling has not been very productive so far this week. I've drawn some deer in but they've spooked before I could even see if they're a buck or not. That's Ok cause I mainly just want to see if I can do it or not. It's fun just being out there doing it. I'm hunting in some thick woods with even thicker underbrush in some places along ridges of high bluffs along the Missouri River.
    There's a ridge I like to hunt on but it had a thick patch of small thorn trees in the middle of it that me and obviously noone else likes to go through. I took a pair or clippers with me and spent about a half hour trimming them down so I could get through. Right when I finished I could hear a deer sloshing through the leaves somewhere but I never got to see what it was.
    Yesterday I went down the end of that ridge and was going to go up another ridge to the east when I spooked several does. They all stopped after about 50 yards but ran into the thick woods. I didn't know it but two hunters from down south were up at the top of the ridge scouting a spot that has fresh rubs. I told them I knew about the rubs and I would leave the buck for them to try for.

BTW- I'm trying to use up the deer meat from last season and grilled a couple of backstrap steaks on Monday. I grilled at 1/4 on the grill dial for about 3 and a half minutens and they came out perfecto! Pink on the inside and delish!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 1:05 AM
    Stubee likes this.
  5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was going to hunt this season, but when we drove up to the lease, we saw this and drove back home,,, hunting use to be fun?!?!o_O
    deers-hunting.jpg

6. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

Someone will get triggered. o_O

I respect people who harvest natural protein
    I respect people who garden
    I respect people who keep bees
    I respect people who have a few chickens for eggs

It's all the same to me. It's positive.

I work in packaging engineering and I specialize in modified atmosphere food and medical (but I can do anything). I can overwrap ground beef and blow enough nitrogen in the pack (after removing the air) to make that meat look pink and fresh and gorgeous at Walmart for 3.5 weeks in common refrigeration. The more you know about commercial food preservation science the more you want shoot a deer, have it cut and wrapped by a small local butcher and then stick it all in your deep freeze.

Hunters are not barbarians. Walmart shoppers are barbarians; they just don't understand what they're putting their mouths.

;)

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

That's an odd weight for the .270. Is that a new offering from Federal?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 12:26 PM
  8. Pick_n_Strum

Pick_n_Strum TDPRI Member

Fun thread! I got a 5-point last Sunday with my bow. Unfortunately while gutting it, I ended up taking about 1/5th of my picking thumb off (bringing it back to guitar). What's the first thing you learn with knives: "Always cut away from yourself" or "never cut towards yourself." I was just so excited I didn't pay attention. Good news is that I should keep most / all of my thumb and I have venison for the coming year. It was pretty big bodied. The bad news is I won't be able to play guitar for a bit.

[​IMG]

uriah1, Telecastoff1 and Stubee like this.
  9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Please stop this. When you see another hunter and need to move, just be quiet, leave the other guy alone, and move. Don't go up to him spreading your scent and have a conversation the deer can hear at great distance.

I have had idiots walk up to me on public land to ask me if I was going to hunt there the next afternoon or morning or something and kept approaching after I signaled with my hands for him to go away. I had unkind words for the stupid bastage when he got there and started to speak. I don't like hunting public lands for reasons like that.

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Meister

"Teach your boy how to hunt and you'll never have to hunt for your boy."

Telecastoff1 and Stringbanger like this.
  11. Guitarzan

What is the better part of La. for deer hunting? Central around Alexandria?

Further up north?

I have hunted ducks at Catahoula quite a few times and have been out to some nice deer camps within 3-45 minutes of Alexandria.

12. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Rifle season starts on the 15th here in Michigan. I'll be using a 1967 Savage Model 99E in .308 this year. It's the 'economy' model. I like to equate it to a LP Junior: not fancy, but should get the job done.

Stubee and ce24 like this.
  13. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Lol....nope I bought 2 boxes a few years ago and that is the last time I ever saw that weight. I thought it odd at the time... Could have been a typo on the box. I was looking for 140 but this was all they had in store at the time. I have one box left. Then I'll move up to 150s.

E5RSY likes this.
  14. Guitarzan

That Model 70 deserves a nice, traditional red rubber pad.

How is the wood on that old dog?

I presume that it had controlled round feed in 1948.

15. 985plowboy

I drive up to Shreveport to hunt with a friend. They have substantially more deer up there. That's near Arkansas.
    If you go north from me you hit Mississippi. Got a good many friends with camps up there that do well

16. 985plowboy

It's definitely CRF.
    Wood stock KIMG0064.jpg still wearing the original finish is in great shape. Not figured. Very plain.
    It is a nice rifle. Bone stock with a period correct Lyman post and wire reticle 4X.
    The steel butt plate is original. I'll leave it be

17. E5RSY

Beauty.

The only problem with those original stocks, though, is that the drop-at-heel angle is designed for using iron sights, often requiring you to lift your head off the comb to see through a scope. Have you ever thought about putting a leather pad on it to raise your line-of-sight more in line with the scope?

18. 985plowboy

I have seen folks do that.
    I'm doing alright with it.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  19. E5RSY

BTW, one of the closest calls I ever had with hitting a deer was coming off the Causeway Approach in Mandeville around midnight headed west toward 22. REAL close...:eek:

Funny, when I lived there, no one seemed to hunt nearby. Everyone went to Mississippi, from some reason.

20. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

My Dad bought me a Winchester lever-action 30-30 for Christmas, plus all the gear/clothing, right before I turned 12, which was the legal age for hunting in PA in 1967. I was not a good hunter. Maybe I couldn’t sit still, even though it was drilled into me.
    I felt that it was more of an outdoor experience, with my Dad, at an early age, that I will never forget.

I bagged a buck at 19, and I was immediately accosted by a man who pulled a big knife and said, “I can help you.”

Now, at least here in PA, there were rumors/stories of older guys stealing deer from younger hunters. But, this guy was a true sportsman and he genuinely was there to help me. Snow had fallen, and he gut that buck, explaining everything as he went, as I stood there holding my rifle, dumbfounded!

Then, lastly, he says, “When there is snow, pack the deer cavity with it,” and he proceeded to do just that.

I was very paranoid during this experience, but in the end, it was the most existential experience of my life.

Sportsmanship.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019 at 8:50 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.