This year's deer hunt(s)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Nov 4, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Today I started deer hunting. I could've started hunting a month and a half ago. It had been too warm and the mosquitos were too bad so I didn't want to hunt until they died off (and then there's the snakes).

The annual deer rut is supposed to be starting any day now and I wanted to try "rattling" a buck in. You take a pair of deer antlers and hit them against each other to simulate 2 bucks fighting for dominance. If the rut has started then any buck within hearing distance will come to investigate thinking that a doe in heat is with the bucks.

I was rattling for about an hour then I saw a white tail out of the corner of my eye. It was 2 does and one was looking straight at me at the bottom of a ravine. She was positioned perfectly broadside like one of those targets they sell. She was about 100 yards away. An easy shot. I looked at her with my binocs then through my rifle scope.

Should I or shouldn't I?

My deer season was only an hour old and I was really interested in rattling a buck in so I passed.

I went back up the saddle I was on and rattled towards the other side of the saddle. I noticed a guy in camo and hunting orange up higher on the saddle. I was going to move to another location so I started going up to talk to him. I tripped on a dead branch and almost fell flat on my face. LOL!

The guy was from Penn. and was 76 years old so I told him I was moving to another spot and let him be.

Didn't see any more deer but the rut should start and things are looking good so I'll be hunting the next 3 days.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Before the antis show up I’ll be the first to say this is awesome and happy hunting

E5RSY and telestratosonic like this.
  3. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Well let me tell you about........aww nevermind.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

The rut is winding down on the elk and ramping up on the whitetail here. Bears have moved up since their hunting season starts earlier. Upland bird is on with my favorite morsels ... grouse.

ftbtx, telestratosonic and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

If I was going to do any hunting at all upland game would be my choice, not hard to carry, easy to clean, and you don't have a big old carcass to dispose of later on.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Definitely the easiest, but you only get one meal.;) I sort of over hunted them around here and had to give them a few years to come back.:oops:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Out here, or at least it was that way when I used to hunt, you couldn't shoot a doe. Well you could but it was illegal I guess you can shoot anything. For some reason, I guess because it was always that way, I'd have an aversion to shooting a doe, but that's probably pretty silly, they would probably be better eating than a buck.

8. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

The next doe that crosses my path will be harvested. I bought another slightly larger freezer and I need to fill both freezers up with fresh venison. In fact I rprobably won't shoot a buck at all unless it's got a humougous rack. I don't like the nasty smelling tarsal glands of a rutting buck.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

I know that feeling, I'll just have ONE more! I always fancied a good shotgun. One easy to shoulder, and swing. (it don't hurt nothing if it's easy ON your shoulder too) I shot off about a hundred and fifty Magnum three inchers in a day one time, using an old 870. My shoulder looked so bad ( the bruise creeped down my arm) , a friend dropped me off a nice shotgun at the company where I worked to use the next time we did that. I kept that thing for a long time, I think he might have just gave it to me, but I finally got a good shotgun and returned his.

10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My friend back in Pennsylvania bagged this guy two days ago.

2EE3A1CC-40B8-488F-9328-06F72225DE5B.jpeg

11. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

I'm east of Edmonton, Alberta. CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) has reached this far west so I've given up deer hunting, unfortunately. I love deer meat.

Nightclub Dwight and Obsessed like this.
  12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I've laid off the deer population around my place for years in an attempt to allow them to regain sustainable numbers.
    This area was severely overhunted for a long long time.
    Happy to report that I have my eye on a few management does that I'd like to see harvested this year. They should be in fine shape. They've stood in my field and eaten all my peas and snap beans last summer.
    My youngest son is 13. He and I have been hunting together since he was in kindergarten. Back then I had him bring his BB gun. We worked mostly on firearms safety.
    I got him a Model 70 featherweight I'm .308 for his birthday. He's ready.
    Very excited about this season.

telestratosonic and stevemc like this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I bowhunted a little bit in MI and now am up in NW ONT looking for a big old buck. There’s one in the thick conifer swamp behind my cabin but he’ll be very hard to get. He’s walked right down this old skid trail but has to make a big mistake for me too see him.
    E1F7A0C8-217B-4CC7-B672-0727275A7113.jpeg

It’s gonna be pretty cold here the next few days and we’re getting more snow now. That makes it tough to sit out in the brush blinds I mostly use up here.

14. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

160 yds. .270 Fusion 145 grain.Dropped where he stood. It was a good week of hunting. At this rate I have 20 years of hunting ammo.

IMG_20191022_171908030.jpg

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

ok, someone's bound to be triggered. (Not me)

In before the lock :)

16. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Maybe you can try reloading some lighter charged ammo for him to use with that rifle. I shot some factory .308 ammo and the recoil was way too heavy for my liking. If that's a light rifle the recoil will be pretty bad.

17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Good luck! Deer season hasn't started here yet. Well, actually it is open for bowhunting. Gun season isn't until the end of the month for us. While we wait, my 12 year old son and I go out squirrel shooting on Sideling Hill...him with a shotgun, me with a rifle. Honestly, we have more fun at that!

18. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

Maybe you can try rattlin' to draw him in.

19. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I want to break in my Savage Axis .270 rifle this week. I could've yesterday but passed.

20. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

If it looked like Bambi... No...

If it looked like the deer equivalent of Scar... Go right ahead...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.