This year ?! The compulsion to behave according to a date on the calendar...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

With all this togetherness that we have had since the middle of March, I just get home to a bunch of texts wherein my wife says she wants to get fireworks, and put up bunting, and go to the water, (not to get out and bump elbows just, uh, I guess look at the water?)

Anyways what she’s saying is that she wants to have a Fourth of July!

I’m like, “really?“

So, of course we’re gonna do whatever she wants because I’m not stupid, but - is it even July yet? Is it Tuesday or Wednesday or..?

Remember when you reached that age where you didn’t feel that compulsion to have to go out and do some thing on New Year’s Eve?

Well I guess that’s kind of where I’m at this year - besides feeling the least patriotic that I’ve probably ever felt in my life since I became conscious...

“Hey! It’s this particular date on the calendar! Act this way and do these things!”

Arrrggghhh...I was gonna clean the bathroom and change some tires on the bike...

2. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

:lol:

Jakedog, Fretting out, P-Nutz and 2 others like this.
  3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You should go to the water in December or January... just to spite your calendar.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I actually can completely empathize with you on this. I don't feel patriotic at all this year. I feel disappointed and not at all inclined to set off explosions, yet.

5. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Mike, you’re getting old.

:p

nojazzhere and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mike - it sounds like you've been hanging around with me too much. Actually, it occurs to me that we might actually be the same person! You know, I've never actually seen us both in the same place at the same time! ....hmmmmm

MrGibbly, Deeve and Mike Eskimo like this.
  7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm where you are.

Jakedog, Obsessed and Mike Eskimo like this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I been old...:lol:

telemnemonics and elihu like this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Always the option to be patriotic everyday, and it’s not about postering or virtue signaling. Not about putting blinders on to the past. I for one have been tired of the self-glorification since I was a teen. There are good reasons for that.

For some reason, my wife mandates day-of celebrations, but I can take it leave it by a few days, months. Except a few celestial events of course. Work, well work demands I pay attention to time and calendar. Bills too. As much as I try to chill about bills, taxes, and even medical appointments, they claim I have to do such things. Nuts to that!

I don’t know what month it is, I don’t particularly care on the day to day. I get that it’s non-work time today, and that’s about it. I just show up, things just happen :D

fendertx, P-Nutz, E5RSY and 4 others like this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

People around here shoot off fireworks. I don't, but I like to shoot a few rounds of 7.62X39 into a tree stump to shock all the neighbors for a few moments.

11. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

“Sometimes I think about leaving...do a little bumming around...throw my bills out the window and catch a train to another town, but I go back working...”

BorderRadio-It’s amazing how Merle had a window into our souls!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t eat much red meat and pretty much quit drinking this year but I thought I’d get a steak and a six pack since it’s the fourth. Then I thought about the 20 lbs I’ve lost and the energy I’ve gained this year and thought I’ll just stay home and play guitar. Happy Independence Day everyone!

Mike Eskimo, stevemc, P-Nutz and 2 others like this.
  13. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Someone cannot wait for christmas !

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

We’re going to light a few fireworks tonight. Maybe even grill burgers or something similarly easy for supper.
    I’ve still got kids at home and they enjoy the celebration, and I enjoy them. We’ll have a Christmas tree come December.
    My patriotism???
    I know there is much societal upheaval.
    I say this gently, and not in an attempt to stir controversy but;
    My patriotism runs deep.
    I will always choose to love our Country for the many things that are good about it.

edvard, elihu, Mike Eskimo and 6 others like this.
  15. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

We quarantined in March. Since then we have been diligently maintaining distance from almost all including my aged mother and my adult daughter. I'm not going to change my behavior during this pandemic for a date on a calendar. Fireworks are illegal in the city so I will watch any professional shows - from home - that I can see from the hills and wait to see if they spark a wildfire. As a patriot, I believe the best I can do is follow all the medical advisories that I've been given and not be a spreader or a getter.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I got up about 5:15, went on a walk with the dog, fed him, watered, and put out the flag.

There isn't a day that I don't love my country and am glad to be from here. Patriotism knows no party... there is no corner on the market...and I'd say there isn't a moment when I don't think we could do a whole lot better... LOTS of room for improvement.

I'm smoking tri tip and sausages today, my wife is baking bread and we are gonna do some work this morning and play music this afternoon....

17. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic

I love the USA, it's not perfect, I will always be patriotic and stand and be proud of my flag and what it represents to me. You choose the opposite, no problem, this is America, and that's your right.

18. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Given the current state of things, I’ve had the urge to get drunk and blow stuff up on an almost daily basis.

19. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’m retired. After many years in the military, having to be disciplined and punctual and having to maintain some semblance of good order, I chucked it all in retirement.

I don’t even wear a watch anymore. And the only reason that I pay any attention to the the calendar is because of that Y2K thing that’s coming up. But frankly, I don’t think that it’ll amount to a hill of beans.

Other than that, who cares what time it is or what the date is? I had enough of those worries when I was working.

20. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Yet in the Southern Hemisphere that’s exactly what is done...

so the question is: are they upside down? Are we? Maybe the Romans, Gregorians, and Mayans are having the last laugh...

trev333, Mike Eskimo and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.