1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This woman lives every day like it’s 1958

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by HotRodSteve, Dec 4, 2020.

1. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Just Wikied it the other day, 1347 till 1353 big time.

drf64 likes this.
  2. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Awesome...
    There should be a City built exclusively for Rock-A-Billies ...
    Just sayin....

68Telebass, GibbyTwin and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

She plugged it into a 1958 Gibson Gibsonette GA-8 with a two prong plug. Shocking tone!

Shango66 and 68Telebass like this.
  5. Gevalt

Gevalt Tele-Meister

I think people should wear as much makeup as they want. Just because nobody in the old-days had the spirit-for-fashion that the modern "vintage look" has, I really like the colors.
    If vintage-queens were this flamboyant w/o the rockabilly-umbrella, they might have faced criticism, but the 40's are the perfect cover because nobody remembers! Go on girl! The preface of modesty without modesty is really rock'n'roll.

6. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Cool clip but the dude needs to shave the beard. It is the one jarring anachronism I saw. No one had a beard in 58 except Maynard G. Krebs. And a bearded beatnik wouldn't have lasted long in a small town like that. It was the good old days if you fit the accepted profile and life was hard if you didn't.

Oh yeah, besides the mandatory conformity there was the dental work. In the 50s dentistry was primitive and very painful. No one who studies the past would ever want to live there.

That said, I wonder if she could pick up a couple of things for me at music store next time she's down town like a sunburst Les Paul and a strat. Oh and a couple of those nice tweed amps.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    stevemc and blowtorch like this.
  7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Agreed!! Stuff collected over decades of living-

She is going for that “Thoroughly Modern Millie” mid century vibe, however, so her palate of choices is self-limited.
    except for the laptop, smartphone, and microwave oven (Maybe?? Does she have a period Amanda “RadarRange”?)

upload_2020-12-5_11-50-34.png
    I hope she has a landline with a rotary phone as well...and has her teenage kid use it to dial up his friends!!:lol:

Attached Files:

8. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

I like her. She’s bubbly and has a good attitude. She’s living her hobby, nothing wrong with that.

9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I live in Idaho.

It is 1958.

Chiogtr4x, FrankJames, RomanS and 2 others like this.
  10. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You don't mean "anachronism". "Orthodox", maybe?

11. blowtorch

"Mennonite" was the term I'd been searching for

12. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

i was thinking anachronistic like a civil war reenactor wearing a wrist watch and talking on a cell phone. Maybe "unorthodox" but I don't think beards really existed at the time outside of Greenwich Village and the SF Tenderloin district. When I was a kid in the 50s I never saw a beard in real life and a mustache would draw stares. Conformity was a serious thing then...fit in or get out.

blowtorch likes this.
  13. blowtorch

Yeah, my dad (RIP as of early last Oct :() would at times point out some guy with long hair, and relate how if someone like that wandered into town back in the day, the police would take him in and cut his hair for him.

Idea being that the guy likely just didn't know any better, and it was not unlike giving him a much- needed shower (if he was in need), and all for his own good

fretWalkr likes this.
  14. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got so tired of getting Chinese-made toasters with American names that quit working and aren't repairable in 3 years or less. I bought a '57 GE toaster off eBay. It is built to last, only problem is that bread size changed. Wonder bread sized sliced bread is hard to find and the modern sourdough bread is too wide. We have to cut it in half.

Often I wish that I could go back to my childhood years of the 50's and 60's when the husband made a wage that supported the family and his wife could stay at home and engage in garden clubs, school board meetings, claiming islands in the Mississippi river and such. (Yeah, it happened and it was fun).

Yes, I'm a geezer, but often I wish that cell phones had never been created, etc. There's a lot to like about the TV family shows of the 50's and 60's; wishing for simpler times when identity theft wasn't even imagined.

Yes, I'm using the internet now, but sometimes I wish it had never been let loose in the world.

15. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

No visible Tatts, classy retro yearning for a more wholesome era. I'm aroused!.....er, um....emotionally aroused..that is.....in...a.....ummm.....longing for yester-year kinda vibe...yeah....that's the ticket....

Cheerz

16. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Another geezer here.
    I don't recall ever seeing beards, mustaches or tattoos until I went off to college in 1969 at the University of Houston.
    Whoa! Look at all the hippies on campus, but it was really a small number.
    Tattoos? Sailors and ex-cons back then.
    Now, some stereotypes did exist. My brother could have been an extra in a '50s motorcycle gang movie.
    Black leather jacket/w zips. Greasy ducktail. (Nasty looking!) Harley-Davidson.
    The long, greasy ducktail really was as bad, or worse that long hair in the early days. It was the mark of a criminal.
    Started out his life of crime as a juvenile. Stabbed a guy with an ice pick when he was fourteen, 1960.
    He was given the choice of reform school school, or military school.
    He actually did well at military school and got an appointment to West Point.
    Unfortunately, the bad start in life carried forward throughout his life and he spent considerable time as a guest of the state in Huntsville.
    (BTW, there's a lot more to the story...)

Mark

Edit: My family was relatively well off in the '50s
    and my mom really did look like this girl.
    Of course my mom had a maid, but she dressed in the styles of the day.

61fury, fretWalkr and TeleinTX like this.
  17. TeleinTX

TeleinTX Tele-Meister

Go Cougars. If I had known every one would be covered in tatts by now, I never would have gotten my two while in the Nav, which are only exposed when disrobed. The only folks for years with tatts were military and cons, now every swinging Richard and soccer mom is sporting them. Tatts used to reference non-conformity, not anymore. Same with neckbeards...

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  18. blowtorch

I am an individualist, and I enjoy expressing that to society.

Hence, no ink

TeleinTX likes this.
  19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Her husband could be a retired ship's captain in the 50s, needs anchor tattoo.

20. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999. (Did anyone do that joke?)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.