This was harder that I thought it was going to be

Burn Yesterday

Tele-Meister
So I figured after 50-plus years of trying to play guitar and never really getting good, I probably ought to have a Telecaster. At that time Rondo was selling very nice guitars for very little money, so I got one of their Teles.

Not really a Tele, it had a contoured body and a beautiful sunburst finish, but everything else was regulation. Really really beautiful.

I hated the neck. Hated it hated it hated it. Frets the size of railroad ties and a thick coat of polyglop.

So it sat for a long time until I thought I'd just screw on another neck and it'll be fine. And the sunburst would look better against a dark fingerboard anyway.

I bought a discounted Mitey-Mite neck on ebay, only to discover that every feature I was looking for, they lied about. The nut wasn't wide, which a klutz like me needs, and the frets were the size of railroad ties. And it was coated with a ghastly apparently waterbased sealer, making it look like a basement-dwelling vegan in the process of starving to death.

Well, following a year of spraying different stuff on it and stripping it off and replacing the frets and all like that, on Christmas I had it dialed in.

It's different. It's like driving a truck. Some of the notes were in different places. But all along the time I'm getting acquainted with it, I'm digging it. I'm digging the directness of it. I'm not right there yet with strings but I am getting the point.

I am getting the point.

pippoman

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
So I figured after 50-plus years of trying to play guitar and never really getting good, I probably ought to have a Telecaster. At that time Rondo was selling very nice guitars for very little money, so I got one of their Teles.

Not really a Tele, it had a contoured body and a beautiful sunburst finish, but everything else was regulation. Really really beautiful.

I hated the neck. Hated it hated it hated it. Frets the size of railroad ties and a thick coat of polyglop.

So it sat for a long time until I thought I'd just screw on another neck and it'll be fine. And the sunburst would look better against a dark fingerboard anyway.

I bought a discounted Mitey-Mite neck on ebay, only to discover that every feature I was looking for, they lied about. The nut wasn't wide, which a klutz like me needs, and the frets were the size of railroad ties. And it was coated with a ghastly apparently waterbased sealer, making it look like a basement-dwelling vegan in the process of starving to death.

Well, following a year of spraying different stuff on it and stripping it off and replacing the frets and all like that, on Christmas I had it dialed in.

It's different. It's like driving a truck. Some of the notes were in different places. But all along the time I'm getting acquainted with it, I'm digging it. I'm digging the directness of it. I'm not right there yet with strings but I am getting the point.

I am getting the point.
You’re determined - I’ll give you that! But, hopefully it paid off, and sounds like it did. Congrats on your first telecaster!

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
?

Did you note that when you tighten the strings you don't just twist until they look nice and tight?

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
*snip*

"notes were in different places" - New neck scale was wrong/different?

Ah the good old SX Furian neck. I also had one around 2014, and it also had railroad ties. I didn't hate it as much though because the rest of it was pretty good, even the baseball bat with 1/4 inch orange plasti-shine poly neck, other than that not being my preference, and played it a fair bit, then eventually sold it to get something else. Then promptly regretted it. So ~7 years later, I got the Monoprice Indio Classic. I am finding that one to be very nice. Thinner neck, "vintagey" frets, and I upgraded the rest to my liking. I'll be keeping this one.

Martocaster

Tele-Meister
I thought the OP was just getting a bit poetic. If he’s successfully stripped, refinished and refretted the neck, then I’m sure he knows when the notes are in ‘the right places’!

Chicken Curry

Tele-Meister
It took me decades to be inspired and motivated to continue learning guitar, what did it was an expensive guitar purchase that made me say "that's not allowed". You know what they say, you get what you pay for.