This video has almost killed my desire for a '68 Custom Princeton Reverb...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by E5RSY, Mar 31, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The two amps have the same circuit, built on the same circuit board, with the same tubes and transformers. The differences are the values of 3 or 4 small parts and the speakers. Change those and you can make either one sound like the other.

Greggorios, MilwMark and jimash like this.
  2. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Funny, I like the sound of the ‘68 better from that demo.

3. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Holic

Greggorios, jimash and budglo like this.
  4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yup, frickin' knobs exist for a reason.

I have a real '65 w/12" baffle myself, IMO both the budget friendly reissues can be dialed into to sound just as Fendereee and they're also incredibly consistent. Nice amps. Low headroom though, that's why I rarely gig mine.

Telecastoff1, Tonetele and budglo like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

If you really want to dislike the 68 Princeton Reverb Custom Reissue I could make a recording of me playing mine. Of course that would just be my playing.

scelestus, '64 Tele, GGardner and 2 others like this.
  6. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Break-in is key. The ones I tried in stores sounded broken because they weren't broken in. So I very deliberately bought one NIB and followed celestion's advice to use it gently for 20 hours or so over a couple of weeks. The whole amp, and the speaker settled in in a very nice way, and the clean is clean and the distortion is sweet with none of the clank, and bark that these speakers will make if you force them to distort before they are ready, like people do in the stores.

Route67 and E5RSY like this.
  7. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

I have seen so many times when one gets a brand new amp the first thing they want to swap the speaker instead of letting it break in first . Ive had this amp for over 3 years. Theres nothing wrong with this speaker match.
    after it breaks in.

Ive often heard the 68 princeton custom described as having a blanket over it . Then I realised that most people have the bass turned up to 5 or 6. Yep its a bassy amp, so you have to adjust the eq as with any amp.

8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly. I have a Blackface PRRI and I love it. Can't gig with it , so i play it at home, use a BOSS Katana for gigging.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent point.

I have one of the oft-maligned new-gen Jensen P10Rs in a Pro Junior. Once it broke in it was a different animal.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I had a 1966 Deluxe Reverb. It broke up really quick in a band situation. Clean was not possible at volume. I now have a DRRI that came with an Alnico Blue speaker. The Alnico is very efficient, 102 dB. The amp can get loud and stay clean before breakup. The speaker makes all the difference. (The 15 watt speaker in a 22 watt amp has worked fine since 2010, in case anyone wonders.) I have jumped the channels, and the volumes are typically around 4 on each channel.

11. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Yep. I never swap out a speaker until it gets broken in . I also resist mods until the speaker gets broken in. My drri and 68 Princeton custom have not had anything done other than tube changes and biasings.

jimash likes this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Did you mod it so the channels are in phase?

13. E5RSY

Good question. Muy importante. Or, buy the specific Radial ABY pedal that will do it.

14. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

I've never heard either one of those amps in person but based only on that video, the 68 sounds like there's a wet blanket draped over it.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  15. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Where is the sparkly trebly Fender sound on the ‘68 amp??? Bad setting probably...

E5RSY likes this.
  16. budglo

budglo Tele-Meister

Not as bright as a 65 , but with the right settings nice mids and much better bass than the 65 . Demonstrator has settings the same on both. This has already been pointed out. Must be he forgot the tone knobs are adjustable.

Mayas caster likes this.
  17. E5RSY

He did it "a" right way. In a comparison something has to be held constant to demonstrate the differences. He chose the amp settings as his constant. He also could have adjusted them to sound the same (a different constant) and we could have looked at the numbers on the dials in order to see the differences. Same info, same takeaway; just a different "angle".

Route67 likes this.
  18. kaborex

kaborex Tele-Meister

Well I though the same initially when I saw that exact video. If this one does not change your mind about the 68, nothing will:

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

These gear shootouts are good to get a basic idea of what a piece of equipment sounds like, but...

What sounds clear and bright on a video could be shrill and trebly in person...likewise, bassy and muffled might actually be warm and rich in person. It’s hard to 100% trust the sonic fidelity of a video shot on Lord-knows-what and then processed and compressed and spooled and spoofed and tweaked and uploaded to YouTube and *then* watched on a smart phone.

The player’s playing technique can have great effect as well—I have handed my guitar to a bandmate—same amp, effects, even pickup selection—and his playing sounded significantly thinner and brighter than mine....mainly because I fingerpick (flesh and fingernails) closer to the neck joint and he uses a floppy plectrum closer to the bridge.

...and I didn’t watch the video, but...
    —did he have the exact same settings between the two amps?
    —is that a fair comparison, considering the difference in the circuits of the two amps?

I’d go try the Amp in person, if possible.

20. E5RSY

That is an actual 1968 model. A significantly different animal (circuit, speaker) than the current '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb they are selling and we are discussing.

Fender really shouldn't have put the " '68 " in the name of the series. It causes some confusion. "Custom Silverface" would have been a more apt name.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.