1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

This thing with Radius - is there anyone that feels it is really more comfortable?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by MatsEriksson, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Blister

Blister Tele-Meister

12in seems to work for me wish I discovered it years ago

MatsEriksson likes this.
  2. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

Please accept my apology. I've apparently offended, which was furthest from my intention.

I’ll delete my reply once you’ve had a chance to see my apology.

Torvald likes this.
  3. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

anyone tried playing that hendrix chord yet?

4. MatsEriksson

I said so, in my post, that all guitars have tapered string spacing towards the nut. I have yet to come across any guitar that has the same width at the bridge as at the nut. Maybe Ukeleles, or Mandolins, but not even them I think. You forgot that I provided this pic:

[​IMG]

I think you'll better e-mail both Stewart MacDonald and Dan Erlewine and tell them they're full of it, then.

5. MatsEriksson

No, not according to the rule of 18. Please elaborate on why the radius should be irrelevant to the rule of 18.

https://osf.io/r32p8/

https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/fret.htm

Now, please go e-mailing mr Mottola and tell him to go pound sand. It's nothing I've got out of the blue. Nothing I've said here, is something I've come up with on my own, it's something that's been said and found out long before both you and I were thought of...by others.

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Nashville (avatar) Telecaster is 12, maybe 15years old. It’s still on its original neck, 12” radius with a rosewood fretboard. I removed the middle pickup when I installed N4 noiseless pickups. I had gotten a 2014 American Std Strat and liked it’s Strat sound more than what I was getting from my Nashville. A candy apple red Telecaster with a rosewood neck and N4 pickups with a pick guard that’s a perfect color match for the dots is the right one for me.

7. MatsEriksson

Where did I specifically say steel string acoustics? I said acoustics where you can't bend at all, which means the classical nylon string guitars. No matter what radius. Try to bend the D-string two steps (regular tuning please) up and proven video and show it here.

8. tanplastic

tanplastic Tele-Afflicted

Bending is a lazy habit for today's blues and rock players, along with constant vibrato.
    It sounds awful if not used with purpose and 99% of the time it's not.
    In Classical music vibrato is not employed randomly or on every note.
    The people you mentioned wrote and supported songs first and foremost with their instruments.
    How many players obsessed about bending a string easier are actually playing songs?

9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    My hand (that's what we are talking about - individual ergonomics) seems to "give out" early on a 7.25 Soft V profile neck. Profile seems to matter most to my hands, with that said, I doubt I would enjoy anything tighter than 7.25; 9.5 is great, 10 seems perfect and the 10-12 to 14 compound is divine. Rosewood is my preference in fingerboard material. Kinda funny that for the last three months I seem to keep my left hand wrapped around a 10/56 V maple with JUMBO frets. Must be a phase I'm going through.

10. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Yep, you are socially awkward. Nice job setting people off.

Where, oh where, in this link does this author talk about fingerboard radius?

https://osf.io/r32p8/

Cut and paste the quote, please, because I read it and saw no reference to radius.

I read parts that confirmed my comment about pushing the string straight down perpendicular to the tangent and that a GREATER error in intonation MAY occur if the player did not push straight down.

Otherwise, until you can have a civil discourse, I'm done here.

Good bye.

11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    Amen

12. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

How many players play well at all? I won't suggest a figure or a percentage ... guitar is a nice hobby for millions of pleasant sincere folks, I wish them the best ... I expect very little of amateurs. That they are having fun is what counts. Criticizing them is pointless.

tanplastic likes this.
  13. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Been going back and forth between Gibsons and Fenders my whole life. During the past 50 years the radii have been whatever they were. I adapted.
    I currently have only one compound radius neck, 9.5 to 12, I think, and it always feels a little funny at first but then I adapt.
    Played nylon strung guitars, too, and I like the flat radius on those. Works for the intended style.

14. strat a various

I have some flat board nylon strings, easy peasy. Use them at gigs where I'm alternating w a '70 Strat with a curvy profile. I play string Bass, so if I don't mind the fingerboard on that ... designed for arco (bowing), I'm not daunted by a 7.5 radius. You're right, it's not too hard to adapt if you put a little effort into it.

15. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Well -- that makes one of you. Math, theory, and conceptualizations aside, the reverse is true for the largest number of players. The 7.25 Fender radius is experienced as most favorable to rhythm and chord-based licks, the middle radii for more of a mix of chirding and legato playing, and the flatter (16 and up) for single-note playing and shredding. This is not opinion or theory, this is what the guitar-buying public gravitates towards. I am fully aware than many players can do anything on anything, etc., etc., which is irrelevant. I'm just talking about how people, "en masse," have chosen and used guitars.

16. 40flash

40flash TDPRI Member

Sure. Do it all the time now. Took some getting used to. A great song to practice it on is Outside Woman Blues. Clapton played lead. It's on the Cream, Disrali Gears album.
    Two thumps on the low E string and then the Hendrix chord.

MatsEriksson likes this.
  17. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

We are talking about a #9 aren't we? Using a #9 to b9 is a good little jazzy dominant seventh substitution.

18. strat a various

7th sharp9 is a good substitution for Diminished 7th in many places. Example: second chord of B section "Softly as in a Morning Sunrise".

19. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

And the whole of the law shall be: Play what thou wilt.

20. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Rythmn player 9.5" for me. I tried a new Nashville Tele last year and all was going fine until I hit a bar F chord. My chord hand felt the difference, it was like 'What the heck?' I found out the guitar had a 12" radius. I didn't buy it because of that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.