This thing sucks... What should I build?

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I recently bought and put together a MOD "The Rattler Returns" fuzz pedal. Great kit, if you like crap. Cheap. Easy-to-follow instructions...
Sounds terrible.
I have a lot of experience building and working on amps, but this was only the second pedal I've made. The first was a TS808. What would be a good fuzz circuitto make in this soon to be empty enclosure? And where can I find schematics, layouts, maybe a bill of materials?

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks. I find some good stuff.
I think im going with a good ol' Fuzz Face. I dont know a lot about transistor (most of the amps ive built/worked on have been tube-driven), but I ordered a couple of old AC128's (New Jersey Semiconductors) at an HFE of 80-90 for Q1 and 110-120 for Q2... hopefully they arent too leaky. Also, I would like to put in a trim pot for biasing. I got a 10k trim pot. I guess it goes in place of the 8.2k resistor? Anything else I should know?

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Oh, and by the way... that rattler returns doesnt sound as bad as I originally thought. It sounds much better with a battery instead of being plugged in the wall...

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Just buy a Joyo American Sound or other cheap pedal ready to use. They are like $30
If you want more gnarly yet a Mojo Mojo pedal.

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Oh, and by the way... that rattler returns doesnt sound as bad as I originally thought. It sounds much better with a battery instead of being plugged in the wall...
I've read that part of a fuzz pedal's circuit is the battery itself, especially a carbon-zinc "heavy duty" type. I didn't really understand that until I started building; the electronics courses I've taken over the years just treated all voltage sources the same. Reading a lot of pedal specific electronics sites helped me understand, though I really just have the most basic grasp of it, probably enough to get me in trouble ;-)

My Tone Bender and Fuzz Face sound a lot better with batteries, the IC type fuzzes and other circuits (including Rangemasters, though two that I built have charge pumps) don't seem to have that difference between DC supplies and batteries. I won't build a fuzz without a battery snap except for the mini Big Muff I built, and that was a challenge to shoehorn that circuit into a 1590A more so than to have one, as I have a Chicago Stompworks Ram's Head too.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
I've read that part of a fuzz pedal's circuit is the battery itself, especially a carbon-zinc "heavy duty" type. I didn't really understand that until I started building; the electronics courses I've taken over the years just treated all voltage sources the same. Reading a lot of pedal specific electronics sites helped me understand, though I really just have the most basic grasp of it, probably enough to get me in trouble ;-)

My Tone Bender and Fuzz Face sound a lot better with batteries, the IC type fuzzes and other circuits (including Rangemasters, though two that I built have charge pumps) don't seem to have that difference between DC supplies and batteries. I won't build a fuzz without a battery snap except for the mini Big Muff I built, and that was a challenge to shoehorn that circuit into a 1590A more so than to have one, as I have a Chicago Stompworks Ram's Head too.
Thatsc really interesting. I thought I did something wrong that caused it to sound bad not using a battery. But there is definitely a difference.

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Just buy a Joyo American Sound or other cheap pedal ready to use. They are like $30
If you want more gnarly yet a Mojo Mojo pedal.
Wait... buy a pedal? That I could build?
Lol

Just kidding. What I'm getting at is... I want to learn about how these circuits work and build my own. Yes, if I just wanted a fuzz pedal, there are plenty I could just buy...and there are plenty I already own... not the point.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
…I think im going with a good ol' Fuzz Face…I would like to put in a trim pot for biasing…Anything else I should know?

Hi.

I’d use a proper pot to get the external knob. It’s useful to have the ability to adjust it on the outside. I find even if I want one sound repeatedly, it’s a bit of a moving target, so the external knob helps. But also, it makes them more versatile.

And go here and take a peak at the photos. Or do an image search. It’s good to have something to aim for :)

https://reeveselectro.co.uk/

Good luck.

Dean

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Hi.

I’d use a proper pot to get the external knob. It’s useful to have the ability to adjust it on the outside. I find even if I want one sound repeatedly, it’s a bit of a moving target, so the external knob helps. But also, it makes them more versatile.

And go here and take a peak at the photos. Or do an image search. It’s good to have something to aim for :)

Good luck.

Dean
Thank you! Thats exactly what I am aiming to make. Something like that.

ponce

Tele-Afflicted
Guitar FX Layouts (tagboardeffects.blogspot.com)
I had built more than 15 circuits/pedals on vero from this resource. Drives, fuzzes, delay, chorus, reverb, still most on my pedalboard. Great community.

This is one fuzz i built, a couple of years ago, these days I'm planning for a Fuzzrite. Scarab is together in one chassis with the Lovepedal Englishman.

IMG_20170221_184328_205.JPG
IMG_20170407_135002.jpg

Last edited:

MrCoolGuy

Tele-Afflicted
Hi.

Good luck.

Dean
I really like what they've done. Each pedal is a work of art ... but I'm not sure I understand whats happening in those pictures. What is supporting everything? It looks like there is a thick (very straight) wire that is ground and is kind of being used as a frame to build off... what am I missing? What keeps everything from flopping around and touching the insides of the enclosure?

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
I really like what they've done. Each pedal is a work of art ... but I'm not sure I understand whats happening in those pictures. What is supporting everything? It looks like there is a thick (very straight) wire that is ground and is kind of being used as a frame to build off... what am I missing? What keeps everything from flopping around and touching the insides of the enclosure?

It's all solid core wire, he posts his builds on FB, they are works of art when you consider the components are the circuit and the framework. :cool:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Hol
Hi.

Good luck.

Dean

Holy moly, that looks like well-laid-out industrial plumbing or something! Amazing seeing the visual presentation of the circuit itself become part of the art.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

but I'm not sure I understand whats happening in those pictures.

Basically, what @zippofan said.

works of art when you consider the components are the circuit and the framework.

&

looks like well-laid-out industrial plumbing or something! Amazing seeing the visual presentation of the circuit itself become part of the art.

I think you could make up a jig fairly easily and, with some practise, bend / shape things to look at least somewhat like this. For simple circuits anyway. Next time I build a simple pedal (thinking about a silicon fuzz face next*), I plan on having a crack at it.

Pax/
Dean
* the temperature swings and excessive heat here make my germanium fuzz face clone a seasonal dish, so to speak.