This thing kinda sucks

Dana

Friend of Leo's
But the English alphabet doesn't have sharps or flats, and the letters don't change shape to indicate how long they last.

Also, it's really hard to read or speak multiple letters at the same time (unless you're dr0nk).

That was the video I found that explained holding the wrists up high, curling the fingers and the 'bubble' under your hand. I was doing crap like this:

View attachment 975616

with my wrist lower than the keyboard and cocked backwards, fingers splaying out to the sides. Like guitar strings, you actually want to push the keys straight down with your fingertips (from a curled finger), not mash them with the flats of your fingermeats.

It should have been obvious, but I didn't know any better. Also, I've lived with chronic pain and discomfort for so long I've kinda been trained to ignore my body's feedback, so there's that (not good, I know).

I still got some pain and fatigue using the right technique, but it was just the "not used to doing this" thing. Much of it was in my upper forearms from lifting up fingers that weren't playing notes at the time. Once I learned to rest them on the keys (without pressing the key down) that went away. Having a weighted keyboard actually helps. Now I can practice for a couple of hours before I get fatigued, but it's a 'good' fatigue.

The part I'm still working on is the chair height to keyboard height, and chair distance from keyboard ergonomics. I'm having the same issue with computer keyboards as well.

(as a side note, I'm also starting to wonder if my 'tendonitis issues' are actually in my shoulders, but that's a different discussion)

Music doesn't have hard and soft sounds for certain letters [hard c sound (kuh) vs soft c sound (suh)]. And, some words can be verbs vs nouns (I saw vs saw wood). I've taught both music and language and can attest that English is far more difficult.

Speak multiple letters? Do you mean words?

A majority of chords are built using 3rds, 5ths, 7ths. Much more consistent than building words.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Music doesn't have hard and soft sounds for certain letters [hard c sound (kuh) vs soft c sound (suh)]. And, some words can be verbs vs nouns (I saw vs saw wood). I've taught both music and language and can attest that English is far more difficult.

Speak multiple letters? Do you mean words?

A majority of chords are built using 3rds, 5ths, 7ths. Much more consistent than building words.

I was mostly kidding. :)

Of course English (or any spoken and written language) is more difficult than music. And really, someone who understands both to a depth to where they can teach it, that shows some real mastery.