This Strat lover is warming up to Teles

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by DougM, Jul 14, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

About a year ago I bought the Squier Contemporary Tele HH, and I loved it so much that I recently decided I wanted a standard Tele too. So, I got the Surf Green Bullet Tele from MF. It plays great, but the switch was bad, so I ordered a new switch on Ebay, and also some Fender Yosemite Tele pickups for it. And now I just bought the Orange Squier Affinity Tele HH, and I'm going to put some Filtertron types from GFS in it, to turn it into a poor man's Cabronita. DSCN0982.JPG DSCN1107.JPG preview.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Wallaby, Javier668, richiek65 and 9 others like this.
  2. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

All nice lookin' gitters! I always wondered about the Squier Contemporary line. I love the matching body/headstock color on that. And a double bucker to boot! I also love sonic blue(?) Teles with a rosewood(ish) fingerboard. Let us know how it sounds with the Yosemite Sam pups. :)

3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Ooohhh-
    I just ordered that surf green Tele from MF- it’s on stupid deal for $50 off...
    I’m looking at Bootstrap pickups- did you check them out?? The Palo Duro or the pretzel set might do you well- about $50.
    Sorry about the switch! I’m planning to use it as a mod platform anyways- projeckt with CTS pots, new switch, etc etc-
    How’s the neck and frets feel??

4. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I paid $179 for it, and one day later they put it on sale for $129, so I sent them an email saying I think they owe me a $50 refund. That was two days ago and I still haven't heard back from them.

Treehouse and 68Telebass like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have the Performer Strat with Yosemite pickups (my Avatar), and they're my favorite Strat pickups ever, and the videos I've seen with the Performer Tele with Yosemite pickups sound just as good IMO.

RhythmFender and 68Telebass like this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

It has great fretwork, and, unlike my other Squiers, no sharp fret ends. And, like my Contemporary Tele, I can get the action lower without buzzing than I can get on any of my Strats. I guess it's from the different bridge design. They both bend a lot easier than my Strats too, but my CV Tele didn't. It was harder to bend than a Strat. But, it had a 3 saddle bridge, while these all have a 6 saddle bridge with Strat style saddles.

68Telebass likes this.
  7. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

Beautiful Tele collection you're putting together there! I really like the HH configuration - that red guitar is GORGEOUS! :)

8. 68Telebass

Call them....:mad:

9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They just called me, and with their 45 day price match guarantee, they're refunding me the difference. Hooray!

jvin248, richiek65, Treehouse and 2 others like this.
  10. 68Telebass

Yay!!!!! Glad to hear it!!!!

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm not having good luck. The Yosemite pickups arrived today, and the D string magnet on the bridge pickup looks hinky! They're in a see-thru package, and the seller didn't notice this before or during the packing them to ship to me? I don't think the D string magnet is actually half the diameter of the others. I think it's just that the hole in the top of the bobbin on that magnet is too small. Should I return them, and buy them from SW for $5 more, or request a partial refund and keep them? RSCN1120[1].JPG DSCN1111.JPG

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

I am not sure how to advise you on that one. I am not familiar with those pickups. It does look a little strange to me, but maybe that's the way they are supposed to be? If not, there is always that psychological factor that the pickup are deflective and your brain may think that they don't sound as good. That is the way it sometimes works on me.

13. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They aren't supposed to look like that, lol kghpm8vzfkesumsolysb.jpg

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

NEXT HE'LL BE PLAYING STEELY DAN IN AN AFTER HOURS CLUB IN A POLYESTER PANTS SUIT. YAWWWWW!

Treehouse likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I'm going insane! I just did a recording of the Surf Green one with the stock neck pickup, and it sounds so good that I'm thinking of keeping it stock and buying the LPB one to put the Yosemite pickups in, lol
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CCp_kWnnB3N

16. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Well, I just broke down and ordered the LPB one, so the Orange Affinity should come tomorrow, and the LPB one on Friday, unless I'm still at work, and then UPS will have to return on Friday.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.